Films

However, would a wheel-chair bound actor have a chance of being cast as a Bond? Not in a lifetime -- same as the one-legged guy auditioning for Tarzan in Clive's clip above.
And there's the point I'm attempting to make: disabled actors get so few gigs that their only hope is to play a disabled character, but, even then they are overlooked for a genuine disabled part like Stephen Hawking. Now, that is real discrimination.

The parts should go to those best able to portray the character. Due to physical limitations, a disabled person would not be best placed to portray the character of Bond regardless of their acting ability. No such physical limitation exists in the case of the portrayal of Hawking and the part should, therefore, go to the person best able to play the character, regardless of their disability or otherwise.

To not do this would be like asking me to portray Himmler on the grounds that I'm an evil speccy **** rather than due to my acting ability.

PS - I would be ******* incensed if Idris Elba (or any other black man) plays Bond. Next they'll want to rename him Janette Bond and have Jennifer frigging Lawrence play him. I've barely got over the fact that the current Bond has blond hair.

My best friends eldest daughter is achondroplasic.Strange how sarcastic comments about disability hurt when it's so close to home.

My best friends eldest daughter is achondroplasic.Strange how sarcastic comments about disability hurt when it's so close to home.

A tad unfair to label achondroplasics as disabled in my opinion. Different, sure but notwithstanding relatively minor problems associated with this form of dwarfism such as back trouble and breathing difficulties they for the most part live normal, 'able' lives with intelligence and life-span on a par with the population as a whole

A 4-foot aquaintance of mine has two strapping 6-foot+ sons. 'Glad I stopped at two' she is fond of saying 'the next might have been a tiddler like me' :)

The Theory of Everything is indeed excellent and the acting superb. And I'm pleased to report that unlike Prof Hawking's magnum opus 'A Brief History Of Time' I actually understood it from lights-down to lights-up, relatively speaking

E=mc^2, or perhaps it doesn't

I'm not labelling achon people as disabled Drone, just people that are fair game when it comes to being laughed at and sniggered about. My friends daughter has two children; both achon and both with their fair share of physical problems.

The Theory of Everything is indeed excellent and the acting superb. And I'm pleased to report that unlike Prof Hawking's magnum opus 'A Brief History Of Time' I actually understood it from lights-down to lights-up, relatively speaking

E=mc^2, or perhaps it doesn't

A Happy New Year to you, Drone, my good man.

Is that clip edited? I remember it ending with a two-legged man entering, to whom Peter Cook says summat like 'I believe you're here to audition for the part of Long John Silver' :)

i dunno. in truth i never found it that funny. I prefer Derek and Clive.

Last edited:
Well there is chat of Idris Elba being the next Bond (a white Scots/Swiss half-caste). I think that portraying a white character might be a physical stretch for him but I can see the point that Bond has outgrown the original character to the extent that he is something of an everyman and therefore the colour of the actor portraying him is irrelevant. If that were to come to pass then it would be discrimination against white folk?

I reckon that the part should go to the actor best able to portray the character (both Bond and Hawkings), just as I believe that positive discrimination is a bad thing in all other walks of life.

In the Pelican Brief book the main male character is short, white, ginger with freckles. In the film played by Denzil Washington.
I think Idris would make a great Bond but he may already be too old to be credible in the part.

I have to say I was one of the first to knock the casting of Daniel Craig (having only seen him in one other show and hadnt enjoyed that) but I was then very happy to admit I was wrong and thoroughly enjoyed the gritty feel he has bought back to the film.

I may draw the line at an american playing bond but could live with an aussie (or other commonwealth state!).

I saw American Sniper on Saturday night and enjoyed it. There is a well documented ridiculous scene with a fake plastic baby but the story behind the sniper is fairly good and some of the scenes are quite intense. Quite a good balance between battle scenes and family scenes to stop it becoming a film that makes you feel like you are watching Call Of Duty on a big screen.

I also saw Foxcatcher and that is a strange film that is really slow moving but I also enjoyed that. It was really well shot and Steve Carell played a good part as the very odd John Du Pont but many of the cinemagoers leaving after the film moaned about it being boring, worst film they've ever seen and one guy walked out, muttering "well this is a barrel of f'in laughs isn't it?" as he left with about 40 mins to go. I don't really care for Channing Tatum, he won't be winning any awards for his performance. Probably the marmite film of the year.

I saw American Sniper on Saturday night and enjoyed it. There is a well documented ridiculous scene with a fake plastic baby but the story behind the sniper is fairly good and some of the scenes are quite intense. Quite a good balance between battle scenes and family scenes to stop it becoming a film that makes you feel like you are watching Call Of Duty on a big screen.

Is the bit where he shoots looters during Katrina in it.

Foxcatcher is supposed to be horse **** from an accuracy angle as well.

Last edited:
Is the bit where he shoots looters during Katrina in it.

Foxcatcher is supposed to be horse **** from an accuracy angle as well.

Have you been reading this?
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/american-sniper/

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. :) Maybe the "legend" felt he had to create a few stories to keep up the legendary status. I just read that article that states the whole pursuit of the olympic gold winning marksman in the film was bollocks and that he never encountered him or shot him. As for Foxcatcher, I have never read the true story behind it so have no idea of accuracy.

Is it worthwhile staying up late for "Aguirre, Wrath Of God" on Film4 tonight?
It is universally praised with 5-stars in any reviews I have read, and is often quoted as being a big influence on later filmmakers.
Have any of you seen it? Is it a must-see ?

Tuesday night there's a documentary about fly fishing [can't remember the name of it] that was on at the cinema last year and didn't get to see it followed by [on another channel] Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas so that's Tuesday night sorted.

Don't know how but I managed to stay awake and watch Aguirre [it was hard with it being late at night and subtitles]. Can't say I enjoyed it but, having Wikipedia'd it today I'm glad that I stuck it out, because it was so ahead of it's time. Only really became aware of Herzog after seeing Grizzly Man and Cave of Forgotten Dreams. The Devils is on tonight; that is a film that I can still remember sitting in the cinema when it finished feeling emotionally shattered; we were very into Ken Russell and Fellini films in those days. Something I don't understand about film making. It said that the dialogue in Aguirre had been in English but it was then changed to German and overdubbed in the studio. I got chatting to a sound recordist one day who explained to me how they added dialogue to films after they'd shot them. But I didn't get what he was talking about...do they always add the dialogue afterwards or only sometimes and how do they lip synch it so well?

Back