Films

Is that the Reece Witherspoon film? I think she was good in Walk the Line but, for some reason she's an actress that I dislike watching.

Just got back from the cinema. Blown away by TTOE. I was determined not to like it but it was funny and joyous and life affirming. 10/10

Likewise - utterly brilliant film with superb lead performances. (although I wasn't determined not to like it!)

Irish German. Hunger is a masterpiece; McQueen a rare talent. Its great to have young directors around who understand that film is primarily a visual medium and should be treated as such.

Watched this last night. I think it would be best described as "titwank". Some nice shots in it, but a handful of nice shots do not a classic make. The story itself was horrifically badly told (and let's not forget that the purpose of a film is to provide a visual portrayal of a story), in some parts offensively so - the part where McQueen tried to equate Sands to Jesus was an exceptional low. Disappointing that there was no mention made, at all, of the people Sands shot and blew up.

I did enjoy the smoking against a wall in the snow shot though. Would have preferred to watch that for an hour and a half.

clivex; did you go to see Jerusalem at the Apollo? Now that it's ended I've realised that I've missed something pretty amazing [yet again...].

Thought you meant Selma. Heard a good report on that although lbj (easy target) is said to be portrayed unfairly

Really disappointed that TTOE didn't win best film last night, but going to see Boyhood soon to check it out [hadn't really wanted to see it first time round]. Whirlwind is on this week and Ex Machina next week. Biggest cheer of the night from us was when Jack won best new actor [yaaay!], along with Eddie winning best actor. The Arquette lady had better put up a stupendous performance in Boyhood having beaten Felicity to best actress award [grrr]. [realised it was Julianne Moore that won and I'm certainly not going to see her film; ditto Boyhood which is 3 hours long....that will have to be a dvd film..not sitting in a cinema for 3 hours plus adverts]

Last edited:
Like you, Boyhood didnt appeal first time around and it may remain one of those fine films that never will appeal. I couldnt really have ttoe as the best film ive seen in the last year. It was very decent but did not have anything about it that was absolutely outstanding, bar the performances. really fine film but no Whiplash :)

i am having second thoughts about Selma. Im not a great one for reviews but points made by reveiwer in Sunday Times, who doesnt just follow the sheep, put me off. Frankly if they are going to demonise LBJ's role then i have no interest. He was not a nice bloke but he risked and staked a huge amount on civil rights. Once credibility on a significant factor such as that has gone, then i lose interest

I didn't like Whiplash at all. Watching someone suffer ritual humiliation for nearly 2 hours wasn't fun and there were scenes in it that were completely implausible [eg the car crash]. The same tune being played [or not played] over and over again was like some sort of Chinese water torture. I'm sure that if you're interested in jazz/Charlie Parker/drumming/sadism it's the film for you, but it wasn't my cuppatea. A man and his son were leaving at the same time as us and his dad said to him 'that will encourage you to stick with your practicing' and I wondered if I should report him to the NSPCC. The acting was very good and it's had very good write ups on the Empire forum but it wasn't for me. Hoping for better luck with Ex Machina next week.

Last edited:
Will read a biography soon so will know more soon

Maurice Hamilton's 'Senna versus Prost' is a better read, Granger. Hamilton is accused of being a Prost-apologist, but someone has to do fkin it, to counter the mystical bollo*cks that surrounds the Senna legacy.

I didn't like Whiplash at all. Watching someone suffer ritual humiliation for nearly 2 hours wasn't fun and there were scenes in it that were completely implausible [eg the car crash]. The same tune being played [or not played] over and over again was like some sort of Chinese water torture. I'm sure that if you're interested in jazz/Charlie Parker/drumming/sadism it's the film for you, but it wasn't my cuppatea. A man and his son were leaving at the same time as us and his dad said to him 'that will encourage you to stick with your practicing' and I wondered if I should report him to the NSPCC. The acting was very good and it's had very good write ups on the Empire forum but it wasn't for me. Hoping for better luck with Ex Machina next week.

I was having lunch today with someone who was a bit indifferent to it as well, which surprised me. But it was far more than one paced humiliation? There was a lot to ponder I thought. I still stand by the final scene being an absolute stand out in cinema. Beautifully crafted.

Watched this last night. I think it would be best described as "titwank". Some nice shots in it, but a handful of nice shots do not a classic make. The story itself was horrifically badly told (and let's not forget that the purpose of a film is to provide a visual portrayal of a story), in some parts offensively so - the part where McQueen tried to equate Sands to Jesus was an exceptional low. Disappointing that there was no mention made, at all, of the people Sands shot and blew up.

I did enjoy the smoking against a wall in the snow shot though. Would have preferred to watch that for an hour and a half.

Hunger bored red me to tears.How many people did Sands shoot or blow up?.

Saw Selma yesterday [under protest, but the S.O. said I often drag him to see films he doesn't want to see!]. Was quite bored by the first 2/3 of the film but it did make me realise how ignorant I am of the events of that time. I'd like to see it again when it comes out on dvd as I hadn't realised that many of the characters did become very influencial politically in America. I don't think Johnson was portayed too badly; the ones who were demonised in the film were the Sheriff and George Wallace [and quite rightly so]. I don't think it's the Oscar material it's touted to be. They do point out that it's a dramatisation, not a documentary. Still feel the best film I've seen for ages is Unbroken, which will be overtaken by Shaun the Sheep when I get to see it! My SIL can't wait to see Whiplash [he and my nephew are both drummers]. I think they'll love it.

Having been disappointed with so many films lately I feel that that was the one that I SHOULD have been to see.

I am going to see Arthur millers view from the bridge on digital transmission later next month. First time I've experienced that and whilst I would like to see it for real, tickets are scarce and an arm and a leg. I've seen the crucible and death of a salesman by miller and both were quite brilliant productions of great plays. They are raving about this one too. Will be interesting to see if these transmissions are as good as they say, certainly susuccessful.

may have missed American sniper but want to see still Alice for sure.

Have been reading about White God; hope my cinema has it on soon. Saw Ex Machina last week. Enjoyed it; perhaps not as much as I thought I would but I was expecting a lot from it. Guess I'll have to see Birdman now it's won so many Oscars.

Back