Films

I get a sense of what filth is like. I don't like Irvine welshs stuff much. Trainspotting is a film I didn't see to the end. Not because I disliked it just that I was indifferent. Don't go out of your way. It's forgettable

Irvine Welsh, like a lot of contemporary writers, is desperate.

When was the last great British or Irish writer? Ballard was very good, but not great.

Well depends what you mean by great. But I would certainly nominate Sebastian faulks from uk and William Trevor (although he must be 120) from Ireland

Captain Phillips is absolutely riveting. Hanks is superb as ever and final scene is as a memorable pice of acting craft as I have seen He's a great actor. Greengrass is a master

Great film

Saw it last night; I'm not sure that I 'enjoyed' it as much as Zero Dark Thirty [don't think enjoyed is the right word somehow] but it's the closest I will ever get [I hope] to knowing what it's like to be in that situation. Subject interested me because we went to a talk a few years back given by a man from the navy who told us just how much piracy still goes on these days. Thought the man who played the Somali captain was amazing as well. As the lad selling tickets at our cinema said when we chatted to him afterwards, the last scene has surely guaranteed Tom Hanks the Oscar. Our film going has been a bit disappointing recently, having seen Le Weekend and Sunshine on Leith [which is packing them in at our cinema; both of them made me want to leave half way through]. Bought our tickets for the 'recording of the live War Horse' which is being transmitted in March. Although we've seen it twice on stage we want to see it 'close up' one more time. Tickets for the live showing at the cinema sold out almost straight away. Still think it's the best thing I've ever seen. Looking forward to 'The Selfish Giant' as well. Supposedly the directors of Rush and Captain Phillips swapped over before filming started; wonder how different the films would have been with different directors?

Is le weekend a bit over rated then moehat? I had a feeling it might be. sunshine on leith didnt appeal at all

would like to see the selfish giant but even if as wonderful as they say, films about kids leave me a bit cold. Sounds a bit harsh i suppose

Hanks is a craftsman. A really fine actor who has the gift of knowing what is just enough in any role. the last scene is magnificent. im a huge fan of his. Im glad greengrass directed it. Very reminiscent of United 93.

and yes the somali guy played the role superbly

War horse i saw the film. But really should have seen it at the national (a wonderful theatre of course). I am very tempted to see the play. a beautiful tale but i felt the film was way too glossy

If i get through my stuff tomorrow may see Philomena. Coogan grates in films. A poor actor frankly (although love Partridge) but signs are good and Judi is bound to have the performance off to a tee

Last edited:
If you see 'the play at the cinema' as soon as it starts you forget you're watching it at the cinema. The film was rubbish. I think Philomena could be good.

After having a week that I would rather forget cheering myself up with some "popcorn" entertainment and off to see Thor 2 - yes its cheesy, cheap thrills and not high quality but right now I need that!

PS War Horse should only be experienced in the theatre....

At least at the cinema showing I won't get a man sitting in front of me with a head the size of a large pumpkin who keeps sitting forward and blocks my view. Came close to suffering from 'theatre rage' t'other week. It'll be interesting to see how the cinema viewing compares to the theatre; we saw an Alan Bemmett play last year that we enjoyed and a few friends have been to see opera/Shakespeare and enjoyed it. I know what you mean though, Ballydoyle. First time round we sat very close to the stage but to the side and I wanted to see it from the centre of the theatre this time. At the cinema I want to just gaze at all the small details.

I go to theatre here and there and the main issue is that the sound is clearly less loud. But you do get a much more respectful audience

Theatres vary a lot too. The national is fantastic. Unlike many im not entranced by the old west end buildings and some are pretty uncomfortable.

Shakespeare at the Globe is one great experience too. Saw Macbeth a few weeks back. Unforgettable. If you have not seen a live shakespear production then do so. It can take a little while to get used to the language but then it flows and is quite riveting

I also like small theatres such as the Orange Tree in Richmond

Alan Bennett... I have been quite a fan and saw Madness of King george at National with Nigel Hawthorne years back. But History Boys was the most overrated garbage. I actively disliked many aspects of the play

We saw 'People' recently [again at the cinema] and enjoyed it [being of the 'visiting National Trust properties of a weekend' age] but was very disappointed by The Habit of Art. I find the theatre so expensive [especially if you have to travel a long way] and it's very hit and miss enjoyment wise. Don't mind paying a few quid to see a film and hating it, but it hurts when it's at the theatre. My hearing isn't as good as it was and I found myself struggling with Shakesperean plays and having to sit closer and closer to the stage, which is why I'm going to try seeing 'Shakespeare at the cinema'. A friend of mine is going to play Puck in a A Midsummer Nights Dream at The Minack; now that is something I'd like to go an see.

I know what you mean about hearing. Mines not A1. ive struggled in some venues

A suggestion would be the Hollow Crown series on BBC last year. Superb. Also as an aside, the recent Much ado about Nothing adaptation on big screen (set in modern day California) is excellent

Despite what i said about west end theatres, saw Jude Laws Hamlet a while back and that was wonderful

Im working my way through Shakespeare. No expert, but more i see more i want to. I can see how its addictive. King Lear is on my list

Want to hear what you say about it moehat... i will say no more!

Stack of good looking films out next couple of months. Just gone through the curzon mag

Have to see these i think

Nebraska (Alexander Payne..all i need to know)
The Counsellor
The Butler
Blue is warmest colour (not for the scenes i hasten to add..)
Saving mr Banks (Hanks as Disney)
fill the void
American Hustle
Leviathan (doc on fishing fleet)

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is on Film 4 late tonight 12.05. A film I very much wanted to see at the cinema in 3D. Going to see Cirque du Soleil tonight but hope to be back in time [and be able to stay awake]. Probably won't get to see Philomena till next week but very much looking forward to it.

Thought Philomena was very good; came out of the cinema feeling bloomin' angry with those nuns. Saw the Mark Lawson interview with Steve Coogan last night and was pleased to see him show that he can act and not just do voices. Even Judi Dench didn't irritate me. Wasn't as powerful a fim as Oranges and Sunshine, but, then again, that film didn't make me laugh and cry. Glad I knew very little of the Philomena story before I saw the film [did wonder part way through what they were going to actually make a film about]. Silly question [sorry] but, were the old home movie clips real or recreated? I understand that there's an interview with Steve Coogan and Martin Sixsmith on utube that I need to see.
[review says 'real life super 8 footage'; that is probably going to make my cry again; and I think it's a film that I'm going to buy on dvd and watch again]

Last edited:
I've got a season ticket at Leeds International Film Festival. I've watched 14 films since last Thursday. About another 20 planned in the next week.

Highlights have been After Lucia and Classe Tous Risque. Getting the chance to see Rififi and Le Cercle Rouge on the big screen has been cool too.

Ghost Graduation was as ridiculous as a Breakfast Club meets Sixth Sense should have been. Gloria and Nebraska were a touch disappointing.

Seen some decent docs too. Sign Painters, Expedition to the End of World and Only The Young all decent.

The Tenant, Child's Pose, The Bucuresti Experiment and Deadlock all helped pass the hours.

Strange to think that I thought dvd's would bring an end to decent films, but in fact going to the cinema has never been better or more varied.On top of that, with channels like Film 4 I could watch films all day and night. Annoyingly I nodded of watching In the Loop the other night, and I was so enjoying it. Will make a note of those films betsmate; now I've retired I have to be careful about how much I spend going to the cinema, especially as I've seen some pretty awful films over the years that have had rave reviews.

If I was to have the slightest criticism of philomena, I thought the middle section when it got a little close to being a feel good road movie slightly let down the obvious emotion and tension.

Also I would have ended the film with the nuns being boiled alive.

The super 8 film was recreated but what a memorable scene that was

You should have heard my language as I left the cinema. I thought it went a bit flat in the middle and started to think 'another overated film' but then it picked up again. Being a bit dim it didn't dawn on me till later that it was also about how far the media should go with trying to find 'a story'; at which point should they back off etc. A lot of levels to it. Made me think of a work colleague years ago that had her baby adopted and then looked in every pram she walked past thinking it might be her child. Hope they were reunited one day.

Agree. Read one review which reckoned the middle bit was the best part. But it was a multilayered film as you say and like all the very best films left you thinking the next day.

I thought the role of those catholic nuns in the story was evil personified. Filth

Bit of an outcry amongst current nuns [is that the right term; practicing perhaps] that one nun was singled out at the end to represent al of them, but that's film making, and the film needed a conclusion of some kind. By the way, The Counsellor has had a terrible review by Mark Kermode just now. Don't always agree with him but have to say the trailer didn't inspire me to see the film either.

I go to theatre here and there and the main issue is that the sound is clearly less loud. But you do get a much more respectful audience

Theatres vary a lot too. The national is fantastic. Unlike many im not entranced by the old west end buildings and some are pretty uncomfortable.

Shakespeare at the Globe is one great experience too. Saw Macbeth a few weeks back. Unforgettable. If you have not seen a live shakespear production then do so. It can take a little while to get used to the language but then it flows and is quite riveting

I also like small theatres such as the Orange Tree in Richmond

Alan Bennett... I have been quite a fan and saw Madness of King george at National with Nigel Hawthorne years back. But History Boys was the most overrated garbage. I actively disliked many aspects of the play

Shakespeare done well is superb theatre. Saw Branagh in Hamlet a few ago at the Barbican, the whole play, no edits. Could have sat and watched it through again. One of the greatest pieces of performing arts ever to have been staged. Love Richard 111 althought it's Tudor biased, and lucky enough to see Jacobi in MacBeth a few years ago also.

The Donmar is a fabulous small venue if you get the chance to see anything there.

Robert Lindsay is in a play early next year, fantastic on stage, have seen him several times. A brilliant stage actor.

Back