Flat horses to note for the season

Although I nominated Kerdos for this with handicaps in mind (and if he'd won the 5f 3yo one at the Royal meeting the thread balance would be almost in the black) I like him in the Bullet tomorrow. He ran a cracking race last time at Goodwood and the betting for this race is a bit off. Apollo One is fav yet all his form this year is in big field 6f sprints, I do respect Silkie Wilkie but in a small field event like this I'm ok with 4/1 (bigger on Betfair).

Nice winner Euro.

Tomorrow

OPEN TO QUESTION - (Navan, 17:40) - 9th/13 7/2

timeform
Twice-raced gelding. 9/2, fifth of 12 in maiden at Leopardstown (12.8f, good) 72 days ago. Back down in trip.

FINAL WATCH - (Sandown, 13:50) - 4th/9 8/1

timeform
As good as ever when scoring at Newmarket but not in same form there following week, possibly finding the race coming too soon. Type to bounce back after a break.

GAASSEE - (Sandown, 15:00) - 6th/14 11/2

timeform
Back on the up when fourth in the Old Newton Cup at Haydock on penultimate start. Didn't find much for pressure when filling the same position in a 7-runner Ascot handicap since but he still rates one of the more likely types here.

KERDOS - (Beverley, 14:40) - WON 3/1

timeform
Two from 2 over 6f last term and cracking effort in the 3-y-o 5f handicap at Royal Ascot in June when just touched off after drifting left inside the final furlong. Shade disappointing at York next time but latest fifth of 11 in a Group 2 at Goodwood was highly respectable and he's not discounted.starstarstar

SHANROE - (Chester, 15:20). - WON 17/2

timeform
Veteran Irish raider proved he retains all ability when winning 6-runner minor event at Galway (14.1f, good to soft) 29 days ago. Emphasis on speed here looks likely to suit.

TIME LOCK - (Craon, 16:52) - WON 11/8

Done us some good - running balance: - 6.7

I’m overwhelmed by all the good wishes and messages. Really lovely, thank you one and all. I suppose it’s a bit strange to count people as friends when you only know them in the ether on an internet site. But friends you are.

Anyway, back home after a few days wired up in cardiology unit, blood pressure rebalanced and all ok now. Will try and catch up tomorrow on what’s been happening to our runners.

One runner tomorrow:

ROYAL CHARTER - (ParisLongchamp, 15:08)

Sorry late to this, all best wishes, hope everything on the up. :)

And tomorrow:

TOLSTOY - (Brighton, 16:10)
bet365 Bet now 6/1

timeform
Unreliable individual. Nineteen runs since last win in 2022. 22/1, eighth of 11 in handicap at Newmarket (6f, good to firm) 23 days ago, not ideally placed. Can be excused that effort but clearly needs everything to fall right.

And tomorrow:

TOLSTOY - (Brighton, 16:10)
bet365 Bet now 6/1

timeform
Unreliable individual. Nineteen runs since last win in 2022. 22/1, eighth of 11 in handicap at Newmarket (6f, good to firm) 23 days ago, not ideally placed. Can be excused that effort but clearly needs everything to fall right.

WON 100/30 - TOLSTOY has been frustrating since joining this yard after scoring at Chelmsford last July. However, on his 20th start for the stable and having dropped 22lb in the handicap since he left the Gosdens, things finally clicked and he came clear to win with ease. Having fallen so far down the handicap he must have every chance of kicking on now.RP

running balance: - 3.4

Last edited:
https://www.racingpost.com/results/107/york/2023-05-27/839499

I had no interest in Tasever in third but Craven in fourth and Five Towns in fifth have both been in my tracker this year. The former after a good second behind Bajan Bandit at York (that horse has form with Man of Eden, another regular on this thread) and Five Towns after a good second at Haydock (not seen since).

Five Towns finally returns to the track tomorrow at Windsor. I have no idea oppo wise, the main market rivals are horses coming out of novice company so who knows, I've bet him and will hope for the best.

Nice, Euro

Tomorrow:

The famous Doom goes again, but 1/12 :eek:

DOOM - (Ripon, 16:20)

timeform
Lightly-raced filly. 6/4, respectable second of 10 in minor event at Newmarket (8f, good to firm) 32 days ago. Entitled to come on for that belated seasonal reappearance and newcomer Karmology will need to be pretty decent to lower her colours.

Nice, Euro

Tomorrow:

The famous Doom goes again, but 1/12 :eek:

DOOM - (Ripon, 16:20)

timeform
Lightly-raced filly. 6/4, respectable second of 10 in minor event at Newmarket (8f, good to firm) 32 days ago. Entitled to come on for that belated seasonal reappearance and newcomer Karmology will need to be pretty decent to lower her colours.

Shock at Ripon as 1-25 shot Doom becomes
British racing's shortest-priced loser for 75 years
;);)

running balance: - 4.4

Last edited:
Tomorrow

MONTY BAY - (Salisbury, 17:15)

timeform
Off the mark at Chepstow (7f) in June and has shown improved form in handicaps on his last 2 starts, looking effective at this longer trip when second of 8 over C&D 3 weeks ago. Can make his presence felt with more still to offer.

Tomorrow

MONTY BAY - (Salisbury, 17:15)

timeform
Off the mark at Chepstow (7f) in June and has shown improved form in handicaps on his last 2 starts, looking effective at this longer trip when second of 8 over C&D 3 weeks ago. Can make his presence felt with more still to offer.

6th/8 100/30fav - Monty Bay got het up in the stalls before they opened and was ultimately too free through the first half, but dropping back to a mile might help.RP.

running balance: - 5.4

And Tomorrow: In the same race unfortunately.

BLUELIGHT BAY - (Ascot, 16:45)

timeform
Fairly useful form last year and improved when accounting for 6 rivals in a Salisbury handicap in June. Back on track when runner-up at Sandown last time, so expected to give another good account.

MAN OF EDEN - (Ascot, 16:45)

timeform
AW maiden winner on yard debut in January. Has drawn a blank in handicaps since but there have been several good efforts, including when third at Windsor last time. Likely to be on the premises again.

Last edited:
Bluelight Bay - 4th/7 13/2 - never threatened

man of Eden - 5th/7 100/30 fav - never threatened

running balance: - 7.4

Tomorrow:

CHARGED UP - (Thirsk, 14:05)

timeform
Lightly-raced winner. Winner at Musselburgh in July. Fourth of 6 in nursery (5/1) at Leicester (7f, good) 51 days ago.

HARRY BROWN - (Haydock, 16:10)

timeform
2 wins from 6 runs this year and ran respectably, from 4 lb out of the weights, when eighth of 15 in handicap at Ascot (5f, soft) 56 days ago. Not out of things.

HAVANA BLUE - (Ascot, 14:35)

timeform
Opened his account in 7f handicap at Newmarket in May and followed up in good style there following month. Failed to last home upped to 1m when tenth of 12 at Newmarket 49 days ago so he's very much one to consider back at 7f.

Man of Eden and Bluelight Bay a tad unlucky in that they went no pace (which I did fear). The Cambridgeshire would really suit BB.

I've backed Havana Blue and Harry Brown.

Bluelight Bay - 4th/7 13/2 - never threatened

man of Eden - 5th/7 100/30 fav - never threatened

running balance: - 7.4

Tomorrow:

CHARGED UP - (Thirsk, 14:05)

timeform
Lightly-raced winner. Winner at Musselburgh in July. Fourth of 6 in nursery (5/1) at Leicester (7f, good) 51 days ago.

3r 3/1 fav, but not actually one of our stable!!

HARRY BROWN - (Haydock, 16:10)

timeform
2 wins from 6 runs this year and ran respectably, from 4 lb out of the weights, when eighth of 15 in handicap at Ascot (5f, soft) 56 days ago. Not out of things.

10th/12 10/1 - hampered start and held up towards rear, ridden along over 2f out, made no impression from 1f out

HAVANA BLUE - (Ascot, 14:35)

timeform
Opened his account in 7f handicap at Newmarket in May and followed up in good style there following month. Failed to last home upped to 1m when tenth of 12 at Newmarket 49 days ago so he's very much one to consider back at 7f.

14th/14. 18/1

Results above

running balance: - 9.4

Tomorrow:

CUBAN THUNDER - (Curragh, 16:00)

timeform
Won a York maiden at the Dante meeting but well behind Bucanero Fuerte in the Coventry at Royal Ascot and City of Troy in the Superlative at Newmarket since. First run for this yard after leaving Dominic Ffrench Davis.

INSINUENDO - (Curragh, 14:25)

timeform
Smart mare who was down the field in Pretty Polly Stakes over C&D 71 days ago but would have place claims on her best form.

MR WAGYU - (Curragh, 13:50)

timeform
C&D winner. Fifteen runs since last win in 2022. Respectable 4¾ lengths ninth of 17 to Summerghand in handicap (9/1) at York (6f, good to firm) 15 days ago. Needs considering.

HARLEM NIGHTS - (York, 14:15)

timeform
Likeable sort who found further improvement to land a 12-runner event at Doncaster last month, quickening up in good style. Wasn't seen to best effect held up in a steadily-run race at Newmarket since.

Tomorrow:

CUBAN THUNDER - (Curragh, 16:00)

timeform
Won a York maiden at the Dante meeting but well behind Bucanero Fuerte in the Coventry at Royal Ascot and City of Troy in the Superlative at Newmarket since. First run for this yard after leaving Dominic Ffrench Davis.

4th/4 66/1 - led until push came to shove then disappeared.

INSINUENDO - (Curragh, 14:25)

timeform
Smart mare who was down the field in Pretty Polly Stakes over C&D 71 days ago but would have place claims on her best form.

7th/11 15/2

MR WAGYU - (Curragh, 13:50)

timeform
C&D winner. Fifteen runs since last win in 2022. Respectable 4¾ lengths ninth of 17 to Summerghand in handicap (9/1) at York (6f, good to firm) 15 days ago. Needs considering.

3rd/22 10/1 - Mr Wagyu had a losing run going back to winning the Scurry Handicap here in July 2022, but his consistency without winning meant the the handicapper has not offered too much leeway. He travelled like s dream through the race on the stands side and while he did not pick up immediately, he kept going well.RP

HARLEM NIGHTS - (York, 14:15)

timeform
Likeable sort who found further improvement to land a 12-runner event at Doncaster last month, quickening up in good style. Wasn't seen to best effect held up in a steadily-run race at Newmarket since

Non Runner

Results such as they are!

running balance: - 12.4

Last edited:
Can we take out my one Insinuedo, Barj? She hasn't come anywhere close to reproducing her Ascot run at the end of last season. My apologies.

Can we take out my one Insinuedo, Barj? She hasn't come anywhere close to reproducing her Ascot run at the end of last season. My apologies.

They are only in for three runs, Marb. She’s got one left so my as well leave her in - she’s got to be better than she’s been showing.

Tomorrow:

TOLSTOY - (Southwell, 19:15)

timeform
Ended long losing run in 6-runner handicap at Brighton (6f, good, 10/3) 10 days ago by 4½ lengths from Mamillius. Remains on a workable mark under a penalty, but task is to be able to back up his latest effort

Tomorrow:

TOLSTOY - (Southwell, 19:15)

timeform
Ended long losing run in 6-runner handicap at Brighton (6f, good, 10/3) 10 days ago by 4½ lengths from Mamillius. Remains on a workable mark under a penalty, but task is to be able to back up his latest effort

Tolstoy 9th/14 17/2 - badly drawn, never out of mid-field.

running balance: - 13.4

Tomorrow:

WILDFELL - (Doncaster, 16:10)

Timeform
Highly progressive since joining this stable from Kevin Ryan, completing the 4-timer over 1m here in June. Improved further when a close second in 17-runner event at Goodwood (8f, soft, 28/1) 42 days ago and he's not discounted if coping with the longer trip.

Wildfell 7th/8 14/1

Running Balance: - 14.4

Tomorrow:

PROMOTER - (Chester, 16:30)

timeform
Didn't shape too badly in his first 2 handicaps but needs to shrug off a couple of lesser runs since. Yard continues in good form overall but others are more persuasive.

Last edited:
Promoter - 5th/7 10/1

Running Balance: - 15.4

Tomorrow:

BLUESTOCKING - (Chester, 14:05)

timeform
Shaped well when placed behind Warm Heart in Newbury listed race/the Ribblesdale at Royal Ascot (1½m, good to firm) before collared only close home by Savethelastdance in the Irish Oaks. Decent fourth in Yorkshire Oaks since and obvious claims back down in class.

ROSALLION - (Doncaster, 13:50)

timeform
Justified market confidence when making a winning debut at Newbury and followed up in most impressive fashion in the Pat Eddery at Ascot, beating a subsequent winner by 4 lengths in a good time. Sets a clear standard and hard to beat.

Last edited:
Back