Flat horses to note for the season

Based on nothing more than form and possible/likely progression I'd have had Courage at about 10s. Covey tomorrow 9/2. He did look good at Haydock but that was off 90, the form hasn't worked out and that track so far this year has a big front runner bias.

Couple of points out so yeah I get that.

And your opinion on the Hardwicke tomorrow and the current prices? Obviously the ground re Hukum. If he does run, have they got this right with the Gosden one now Fav?

If he runs I think he starts fav. If he doesn't I'd be half tempted to take Free Wind on as she's never run against males and the Dettori factor will cramp her price. Grand Alliance should have won the King Edward last year and there's always a chance he'll go off piste again but he's too big a price.

ANCIENT WISDOM - (Newmarket, 13:32)
Join Racing TV Now British EBF Novice Stakes (GBB Race)

timeform
Foaled April 12. €2,000,000 yearling, Dubawi colt. Brother to useful 2-y-o 8.6f winner Intricacy. Highly promising sort. Won 7-runner minor event (6/5) at Haydock (7f, good to firm) on debut 15 days ago, impressively. Sets a solid standard and open to lots of improvement.

Won 1/6f - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ing-tv-now-british-ebf-novice-stakes-gbb-race

COVEY - (Ascot, 15:05)
Jersey Stakes (Group 3)

timeform
Son of Frankel who is improving in leaps and bounds, building on pair of maiden/novice wins with a commanding victory (well backed) on handicap debut at Haydock (1m) 4 weeks ago, shaken up around 2f out and in command after. Looks a serious player up in class with prospect of more to come.

9th/11 11/4f - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/jersey-stakes

FREE WIND - (Ascot, 16:20)
Hardwicke Stakes (Group 2)

timeform
Very talented mare who made it 6 wins in her last 7 starts when seeing off Wednesday's Duke of Cambridge winner Rogue Millennium in the Group 2 Middleton on her 1¼m York reappearance. Return to further will suit and she could take a bit of stopping with further progress on the cards.

5th/8 6/4f - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/hardwicke-stakes

HAVE SECRET - (Ascot, 17:35)
Golden Gates Stakes (Handicap)

timeform
Improved with each start last year, winning nurseries over 7f at Haydock (good to firm) and 1¼m at Nottingham (heavy). Cracking reappearance run when fourth of 14 to Bertinelli in very strong London Gold Cup at Newbury last month. Enters calculations.

4th/17 25/1 - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/golden-gates-handicap

KHANJAR - (Ascot, 17:00)
Wokingham Stakes (Heritage Handicap)

timeform
Dual 6f scorer in 2022 who got back on the up when second in handicap at Hamilton (6f) 16 days ago, especially as he wasn't ideally placed after a tardy start. Bold showing is on the cards if first-time cheekpieces eke out some improvement.

13th/24 11/1 - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/wokingham

LIKE A TIGER - (Ascot, 17:35)

timeform
AW novice winner in November and followed up in a 1¼m Newmarket handicap on his reappearance in April. Listed company proved a step too far a fortnight later but he retains potential with his sights lowered. starstarstar

Non-runner - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/golden-gates-handicap

LION OF WAR - (Ascot, 17:35)

timeform
Firmly back on the up with a 1¼-length defeat of the reopposing Coco Jack at Musselburgh (9f, good to firm) 3 weeks ago. Will be at least as effective back at 1¼m and Johnston handicappers can just keep on improving when they get in the groove.

2nd/17 7/2jf - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/golden-gates-handicap

ORAZIO - (Ascot, 17:00)
Wokingham Stakes (Heritage Handicap)

timeform
Low-mileage 4-y-o who comes here firmly on the up, scoring impressively at Newmarket in April and then over C&D following month. Still looks ahead of his mark despite being hiked up another 9 lb. Big shout.

6th/29 7/2jf - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/replays/results/wokingham

MAKAROVA - (Ayr, 15:34)
Unite The Union Thanking Our Members EBF Land O'Burns Fillies' Stakes (Fillies' And Mares' Listed)

timeform
Useful filly. Good 2½ lengths fourth of 10 to Regional in listed race at Haydock (5f, firm, 25/1) 14 days ago In the mix again..

Won 7/1 - https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...burns-fillies-stakes-fillies-and-mares-listed

JUST REALISED THE ASCOT REPLAYS ARE NOT SHOWING UP - SORRY

Last edited:
Shanroe (Karl Thornton)
Unseated his young jockey in Martin Molony Stakes Limerick Friday and ran loose to "beat " all bar Lafayette.
Though 9 his 103 flat / 136 Hurdles ratings seem value and he has a big race or two in him on that performance methinks.

Danger Alert - based on today's article in the RP. This one was moved from Boughey to Alice Haynes in the last few days by the owner (who is obviously some kind of head case) and she says she's training it until it goes to the sales, so there must be a big motivation to ensure that it wins. I've put it in my tracker.

Danger Alert - based on today's article in the RP. This one was moved from Boughey to Alice Haynes in the last few days by the owner (who is obviously some kind of head case) and she says she's training it until it goes to the sales, so there must be a big motivation to ensure that it wins. I've put it in my tracker.

Asadna taken the same path.

SECRET ANGEL - (Carlisle, 16:50)
British Stallion Studs EBF Eternal Stakes (Fillies' Listed)

timeform
Scored 3 times as a juvenile, most notably in listed event at Deauville. Useful form this year and likely to be on the premises for all that others have more scope for improvement.

Got a few as you can imagine from last week.

Harry Brown - Only 9th in the Palace of Holyroodhouse but he won his side clearly

Local Dynasty
- The Golden Gates was a really good race and the front four pulled clear. Lion of War and Have Secret are already in this thread but Local Dynasty in 3rd had a worse passage than both those two and stormed home. He's a Godolphin rated in the early 100s but the boys in blue farm good handicaps with these type horses, esp at Goodwood's big meeting

Perfuse - This Stoute inmate ran so well in the George V. He was just behind the front runners and fared best of those in a race where the pace collapsed. He travelled like a dream and was left in front way too early when Wonder Legend faded. Still on 94, very well handicapped.

Tarrabb
- This filly ran really well in the Kensington Palace, a race where a low draw is a hindrance. She kept on well as the high drawn filles swept by.

I noted the last two. Of those I mentioned in my blog I’d pick ARMY ETHOS who was left in the lead from a long way out, but stayed on strongly and was only just denied, MOSTADAF who looked a strong winner and I think it will take a tough horse to beat him, BLUESTOCKING and TORITO neither of whom got clear runs when it mattered and would have finished much closer.

Last edited:
SECRET ANGEL - (Carlisle, 16:50)
British Stallion Studs EBF Eternal Stakes (Fillies' Listed)

timeform
Scored 3 times as a juvenile, most notably in listed event at Deauville. Useful form this year and likely to be on the premises for all that others have more scope for improvement.

6th/10 3/1fav

Secret Angel looked to have solid claims on these terms, despite a penalty for October's soft-ground Listed success, but she made only a brief bid following a slow start.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...llion-studs-ebf-eternal-stakes-fillies-listed

And tomorrow:

FINAL WATCH - (Newmarket, 16:20)
Celebrating Racing's Workforce Handicap

timeform
Posted a career-best display when successful at Ascot (7f) in September and returned to his best when fourth on Rowley Course on reappearance. Lost a shoe next time but back from a break now, so can't be ruled out.

MAN OF EDEN - (Newmarket, 16:55)
Weareracing Handicap

timeform
Irish import who landed the odds on debut for this yard in a Newcastle maiden (1m) in January. Has shaped better than the result at Goodwood on his last 3 starts, hampered close home when fourth on his latest outing. Merits consideration with blinkers on first time.

SPRING DAWN - (Newmarket, 15:45)
It's Racing Staff Week Fillies' Novice Stakes (GBB Race)

timeform
Related to three winners and posted fairly useful form in both starts thus far, latest when second of 11 in maiden (8/11) on the Rowley Course (7f, good) 42 days ago. Holds strong claims.

Man of Eden was very disappointing last time and I like the application of blinkers. I actually thought the jockey backed out of it at Goodwood but it may have been the horse. May give him another chance - the fav looks solid but it's a Boughey and imo they aren't to be trusted.

This I found astonishing

remarkably, a £1 bet placed on every horse at the Royal meeting this year at Betfair starting price would have returned a profit well in excess of £600.

And they say you can’t back them all. I guess Valiant Force accounts for much of that profit as the BSP was nearly 500/1 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This I found astonishing

remarkably, a £1 bet placed on every horse at the Royal meeting this year at Betfair starting price would have returned a profit well in excess of £600.

And they say you can’t back them all. I guess Valiant Force accounts for much of that profit as the BSP was nearly 500/1 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I saw this too and wondered but multiple winners at over 50 BSP would have been the major factor.

Had a little on Man of Eden just in case. **** ride from Harry Davies giving him too much to do.

He better given Chasseral a better ride tomorrow at Chester. She's stepping up in trip but it will suit, tricky draw. Please please don't **** me Harry.

Last edited:
6th/10 3/1fav

Secret Angel looked to have solid claims on these terms, despite a penalty for October's soft-ground Listed success, but she made only a brief bid following a slow start.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...llion-studs-ebf-eternal-stakes-fillies-listed

And tomorrow:

FINAL WATCH - (Newmarket, 16:20)
Celebrating Racing's Workforce Handicap

timeform
Posted a career-best display when successful at Ascot (7f) in September and returned to his best when fourth on Rowley Course on reappearance. Lost a shoe next time but back from a break now, so can't be ruled out.

MAN OF EDEN - (Newmarket, 16:55)
Weareracing Handicap

timeform
Irish import who landed the odds on debut for this yard in a Newcastle maiden (1m) in January. Has shaped better than the result at Goodwood on his last 3 starts, hampered close home when fourth on his latest outing. Merits consideration with blinkers on first time.

SPRING DAWN - (Newmarket, 15:45)
It's Racing Staff Week Fillies' Novice Stakes (GBB Race)

timeform
Related to three winners and posted fairly useful form in both starts thus far, latest when second of 11 in maiden (8/11) on the Rowley Course (7f, good) 42 days ago. Holds strong claims.

FW 2nd 5/1

Final Watch, back on his last winning mark, did fine in a race that didn't set up for him. He'd been off for 55 days.RP.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...745203/celebrating-racings-workforce-handicap

MoE 2nd 9/1

Man Of Eden, blinkered first time, has been in the mix at Goodwood of late, so it was no surprise to see him go well on this undulating track. He never seriously threatened though, and is now 0-8 on turf.RP.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-06-29/newmarket/745204/weareracing-handicap

SD Won 5/6f

SPRING DAWN, who'd run to PRs in the 80s when second in two starts on the Rowley Mile Course, probably didn't need to improve on those efforts to win this. Ridden more positively this time, she lugged left under pressure but was always in control. She'd be vulnerable in this company under a penalty, so a switch to handicaps looks the most logical move.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ing-staff-week-fillies-novice-stakes-gbb-race

And tomorrow:

BALANCE PLAY - (Chester, 20:30)
Expleo Handicap

timeform
Has had the form of his second in a 7f Salisbury novice on reappearance strongly boosted by the winner and third since and he shaped well when third at Epsom last time. Remains with potential and should take a hand.

HAVANA BLUE - (Newmarket, 19:35)
Indie Angel Bred At Ringfort Stud Handicap

timeform
Got off the mark with a career best in 13-runner handicap at Newmarket (7f, good) 41 days ago. Likeable sort who looks weighted to go in again.

LIKE A TIGER - (Newmarket, 20:45)
Alhabayeb Stands At Meelin Stud Handicap

timeform
Off the mark at the third attempt at Kempton late last season and was impressive when making a winning return to action in a 10f handicap on the Rowley Mile in April. Not at his best in a listed contest last time but essentially remains with plenty of potential back in a handicap

PEACE MAN - (Newmarket, 20:45)

timeform
Windsor maiden winner (10f) in May before readily following up over that C&D on handicap debut (good to firm) later that month. Races from a 7 lb higher mark here but he appeals as one who can improve further and give a bold bid for the hat-trick.

PINAFORE - (Newmarket, 20:10)
Ubettabelieveit Bred At Ringfort Stud Fillies' Handicap

timeform
Promising sort who got back on the up when comfortably landing the odds in a 5-runner handicap at Ripon last time. Bred to go on progressing and should take the beating.

REGAL EMPIRE - (Newmarket, 20:45)

timeform
Won novice/handicap at Southwell in the winter before chasing home Like A Tiger on his turf debut in April. Stiff task in the Lingfield Derby Trial but isn't discounted back in this more realisitic grade.

SHAHBAZ - (Yarmouth, 15:30)
Moulton Nurseries Handicap

timeform
Newmarket 9f nursery winner who ran well after 6 months off when third there in April. No extra only late on when sixth of 7 in handicap at Ascot (10f, soft, 3/1) 48 days ago. Can give his running again back down in trip.

THEORYOFEVERYTHING - (Yarmouth, 15:30)
Moulton Nurseries Handicap

timeform
Bred in the purple and created a taking impression when making a winning debut in a Doncaster novice (7f, heavy) in April. Yet to build on that but well regarded and not one to give up on after a short break now encountering firmer ground for the first time.

And tomorrow:

BALANCE PLAY - (Chester, 20:30)
Expleo Handicap

timeform
Has had the form of his second in a 7f Salisbury novice on reappearance strongly boosted by the winner and third since and he shaped well when third at Epsom last time. Remains with potential and should take a hand.

Interesting battle between Balance Play and Tajawal tomorrow. Both have been well beaten by Torito - Tajawal six lengths or so behind receiving 6lbs when they were second and third behind Artistic Star. BP just shy of 4L behind the Gosden horse at Epsom getting a stone. I guess the weights and measures favour Tajawal but Torito imo improved at Epsom and Balance Play is the play in this race.

The Timeform comments are ok but for me are vanilla and so sort of rushed. This tomorrow on Chasseral who I've backed in an earlier race on this Roodeye card:

"Creditable in-frame efforts in 6f handicaps at Newmarket and Haydock first 2 starts back but she took a backward step at York and she's now upped markedly in trip"

Last edited:
Cannot have this at all. That race at York was red hot, Chasseral was not ideally drawn and she ran on like she needed a step up in trip. Lazy

You copy and paste something from another site and anything written after is automatically in the same font. What sort of bullsh1it is this. I thought this place had been upgraded.

Last edited:
Cannot have this at all. That race at York was red hot, Chasseral was not ideally drawn and she ran on like she needed a step up in trip. Lazy

You copy and paste something from another site and anything written after is automatically in the same font. What sort of bullsh1it is this. I thought this place had been upgraded.

Went into my alerts after york.i thought it needed further.

Back