Flat horses to note for the season

I'll take him on withTheme Park (6/1 B365).
200K purchase from SMS, and ran well in a good race at York and bred to benefit for the step up in trip.

Interesting battle between Balance Play and Tajawal tomorrow. Both have been well beaten by Torito - Tajawal six lengths or so behind receiving 6lbs when they were second and third behind Artistic Star. BP just shy of 4L behind the Gosden horse at Epsom getting a stone. I guess the weights and measures favour Tajawal but Torito imo improved at Epsom and Balance Play is the play in this ….
Nice one, Euro

Last edited:
BALANCE PLAY - (Chester, 20:30)

Won 7/4fav

BALANCE PLAY built on his encouraging handicap debut third in a warm race at Epsom, making all with a bit up his sleeve.
There's definitely more to come. He'd incur a 6lb penalty if taking up his entry in the valuable 1m2f 3yo handicap at Newmarket in a fortnight.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-06-30/chester/745361/expleo-handicap

HAVANA BLUE - (Newmarket, 19:35)

Won 10/11fav

Took keen hold, held up in rear, headway to lead over 1f out, soon ridden and drifted right, ran on well and went clear final 110yds (op Evens).RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...67/indie-angel-bred-at-ringfort-stud-handicap

LIKE A TIGER - (Newmarket, 20:45)

Non- runner

PEACE MAN - (Newmarket, 20:45)

Won 4/1

Travelled strongly, prominent, joined leader and going easily 3f out, shaken up and led over 1f out, ridden and went clear inside final furlong, ran on, readily (op 3/1).RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...5369/alhabayeb-stands-at-meelin-stud-handicap

PINAFORE - (Newmarket, 20:10)

4th/8 6/4fav

Pressed leader, ridden under 2f out, outpaced and lost second 1f out, weakened inside final furlong (tcha 11/8 and tchd 13/8).RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ieveit-bred-at-ringfort-stud-fillies-handicap

REGAL EMPIRE - (Newmarket, 20:45)

3rd/10 13/2

Ducked left start and bumped rival start, midfield, ridden 3f out, stayed on and went third inside final 110yds, no match for first two (op 11/1). RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...5369/alhabayeb-stands-at-meelin-stud-handicap

SHAHBAZ - (Yarmouth, 15:30)

Non-runner

THEORYOFEVERYTHING - (Yarmouth, 15:30)

3rd/4 2/1

Theoryofeverything had done all his racing on soft ground prior to this, including when recording an RPR of 94 when winning at Doncaster on his introduction. Last of seven on his handicap debut at Chester, he again failed to fire and likely found conditions too
lively.RP
https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-06-30/yarmouth/745352/moulton-nurseries-handicap

INSINUENDO - (Curragh, 15:25)
Yulong Pretty Polly Stakes (Fillies And Mares' Group 1)

timeform
Smart mare. Course winner. Respectable 3 lengths third of 8 to Just Beautiful in Lanwades Stud Stakes at this course (8f, good, 7/2) 34 days ago. Back up in trip. Hood back on. Uphill task here however.

FAYLAQ - (Newcastle, 13:30)
JenningsBet Northumberland Vase Handicap

timeform
Losing run stretches back to 2019. Has resumed for his new trainer in good form but he didn't find much after travelling powerfully when third at Hamilton (11.1f, good) 48 days ago. May figure, but others preferred for win purposes.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Newcastle, 14:05)
JenningsBet Northumberland Plate Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

timeform
Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he has posted solid efforts at Ascot and Goodwood (14f) this May. Needs considering now his stamina is drawn out more.

ROYAL CHARTER - (Newmarket, 15:00)
Racing Tv Fillies' Handicap

timeform
Overcame inexperience to make a winning debut in a 6f course maiden a year ago. Not up to the Princess Margaret at Ascot a month later but shaped well when second in 7f Haydock handicap on her reappearance 3 weeks ago. 1m should suit and there's surely more to come from this lightly-raced filly.

Today was a good day. Pinafore was disappointing but I'll give her a pass maybe ground - Balance Play and Peace Man especially were very good. Lovely drift on the latter as the Godolphin fan boys piled on their boy. He'll get a penalty but will be a leading player in the John Smith's.

I even fell asleep after tea and missed the big sprint at Newcastle. Fairly sure I'd have been tempted in by Korker's price.

Last edited:

timeform
Smart mare. Course winner. Respectable 3 lengths third of 8 to Just Beautiful in Lanwades Stud Stakes at this course (8f, good, 7/2) 34 days ago. Back up in trip. Hood back on. Uphill task here however.
The price looks big. This horse has form that closely ties in with Above The Curve. A bit of rain to ease the ground a touch will have helped her. I'll be having a sporting each way bet on her. They're priced up comparatively based on who trains them I reckon, which is totally understandable, but still foolhardy.

Last edited:

timeform

6th/8. mid-division, pushed along and lost place early straight, 8th and no impression 2f out, no extra

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...pretty-polly-stakes-fillies-and-mares-group-1

FAYLAQ - (Newcastle, 13:30)
JenningsBet Northumberland Vase Handicap

timeform
Losing run stretches back to 2019. Has resumed for his new trainer in good form but he didn't find much after travelling powerfully when third at Hamilton (11.1f, good) 48 days ago. May figure, but others preferred for win purposes.

3rd/14 12/1. Faylaq, who had his stamina to prove on his first try over this trip, stayed on from off the pace but didn't get the gaps when he needed them, his strong late challenge always coming up short. Stamina wasn't an issue and with more luck he may well have won. RP.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...5632/jenningsbet-northumberland-vase-handicap

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Newcastle, 14:05)
JenningsBet Northumberland Plate Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

timeform
Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he has posted solid efforts at Ascot and Goodwood (14f) this May. Needs considering now his stamina is drawn out more.

4th/19 9/2jfav. Nathanael Greene, ran creditably back on AW (first Tapeta run) and upped to this trip for the first time in the refitted cheekpieces, shaping like one who should have no problems getting further. He handles soft ground and it'll be a surprise if there's not more to come.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...rthumberland-plate-handicap-heritage-handicap

ROYAL CHARTER - (Newmarket, 15:00)
Racing Tv Fillies' Handicap

timeform
Overcame inexperience to make a winning debut in a 6f course maiden a year ago. Not up to the Princess Margaret at Ascot a month later but shaped well when second in 7f Haydock handicap on her reappearance 3 weeks ago. 1m should suit and there's surely more to come from this lightly-raced filly.

WON 2/1fav. ROYAL CHARTER, stepped up in distance again, put her head in front late on, doing best of those who came more near side.Connections may look to raise her in grade for a Listed event and, with a classy pedigree, she can continue to make progress up the ratings.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/2023-07-01/newmarket/745627/racing-tv-fillies-handicap

Results above

Tomorrow:

LION'S DREAM - (Pontefract, 16:25)
'89 And Reunited' Memorial Handicap

timeform
Winning debut for Richard Hughes last July and has hit the crossbar twice since, including on debut for new yard following a break at Newcastle in February. Fair fourth of 6 in first-time cheekpieces (retained) at Yarmouth (1m, good to firm) recently but more needed if he's to take this.

A quiet week betting wise but some horses did catch my attention.

Bluelight Bay was a decent enough 2yo, beat Eminency over 6 and twice finished within 6l of Royal Scotsman. Reappeared in the Yacowlef/Pinafore/Kerdos 6f handicap at the Craven meeting. Never feartured, couldn't lay up. Moved up to 7 at Epsom again outpaced stayed on. Over 8 at Salisbury last week he found loads for pressure and won real snug. I think this horse will stay 10f and is just now finding his feet at the right trip. Good trainer as well.

Equatorial Extremely impressive at Chester on Saturday. He's gone up 6lbs, doesn't look anywhere near enough.

Nader King
Second at Salisbury in a race discussed on the betting thread. I backed Baltic Voyage, DO had Raintown and the Massai Maura Gosden horse was fav. Galactic Jack won well enough but I liked the run of the Stoute horse. His previous run over 10 at Newbury is really hot form and no surprise he got outpaced there. I think a flat 12 will really suit.

Tolstoy
This gelding has had 25 starts, has moved from Gosden to Stuart Williams and is on a long losing run. Not the sort of horse I'd start tracking. However his run last week at Brighton, his 25th start, was his first over more than 6f - and he's out of a Frankel mare. That interests me, and he looks well handicapped if he can go on from this run on the coast where he was ridden out the back to get the trip yet wasn't over keen and stayed on well even though the winner had flown by then. He was rated in the mid 90s last year and is now off 77.

Danger Alert - based on today's article in the RP. This one was moved from Boughey to Alice Haynes in the last few days by the owner (who is obviously some kind of head case) and she says she's training it until it goes to the sales, so there must be a big motivation to ensure that it wins. I've put it in my tracker.

Runs in the 5.20 Thirsk, 4/1 in places.

Tomorrow:

LION'S DREAM - (Pontefract, 16:25)
'89 And Reunited' Memorial Handicap

timeform
Winning debut for Richard Hughes last July and has hit the crossbar twice since, including on debut for new yard following a break at Newcastle in February. Fair fourth of 6 in first-time cheekpieces (retained) at Yarmouth (1m, good to firm) recently but more needed if he's to take this.

Sorry, bit late.

Came last - “Lion's Dream, having only a second run on turf, didn't get chance to show what he's capable of given he failed to settle and was squeezed out early in the home straight.” RP

Today:

DANGER ALERT - (Thirsk, 17:20)
Download The Vickers.Bet App Handicap

timeform
Career best when landing a third win of the year in 5f Chester handicap (heavy) in May (final outing for George Boughey). 6 lb rise demands more again now starting out for a new stable.

Interesting. There's something off imo about the whole Boughey/Haynes swapping horses around thing. Personally I have them both as no bet trainers.

Interesting. There's something off imo about the whole Boughey/Haynes swapping horses around thing. Personally I have them both as no bet trainers.

I don't know enough about Haynes other than that Timeform rate her but I always see Boughey as a positive.

Reading between the lines of the headline the other day, he might be a quirky person but I reckon if one of his is trying it tends to run up to expectations.

Anyroads, DA is out to 12s. I went in win-only at the 4s and have BOG but have gone in again each-way. I'd be sick if a late move materialised and I'd missed out.

DANGER ALERT - (Thirsk, 17:20)
Download The Vickers.Bet App Handicap

timeform
Career best when landing a third win of the year in 5f Chester handicap (heavy) in May (final outing for George Boughey). 6 lb rise demands more again now starting out for a new stable.

6th | 10
4 Danger Alert
Lengths: 1¼ Cumulative: 4¾
Jky: Kieran O'Neill
Wt: 9st 9lb SP: 18/1
Tr: Alice Haynes
Took keen hold, in touch with leaders in centre of group, pushed along over 2f out, ridden and no impression from over 1f out, weakened final 110 yds
(op 16/1)

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...k/746816/download-the-vickersbet-app-handicap

Tomorrow:

SHANROE - (Tipperary, 18:15)
Kevin McManus Bookmaker Grimes Hurdle (Grade 3)

timeform
C&D winner. Unseated rider after 3f in listed race (16/1) at Limerick (12.5f, good) 13 days ago won by Layfayette. Switches from Flat to hurdles. Useful hurdler so can't be ruled out.

Last edited:
The market said it all re Danger Alert and I knew I was backing it in spite of the market. If it is definitely bound for the sales it still makes sense for it to be trying at some point before then.

(Maybe if I knew which sales it was bound for I could watch out for an entry a week or so before said sale.)

I reckon Outsider and I will be in agreement that if Mr Wagyu turns up at the Curragh in a £100k handicap just before the Stewards' Cup then the double is a strong possibility.

It'll have to be over further,or softer than yesterday's performance, though.
He was hopelessly outsped in the circumstances,and will need a lot to change to win anything substantial.

I reckon Outsider and I will be in agreement that if Mr Wagyu turns up at the Curragh in a £100k handicap just before the Stewards' Cup then the double is a strong possibility.[/QUOTE]

Definitely especially if he gets dropped another pound or two.

Tomorrow:

CATCH THE PADDY - (Haydock, 17:00)
Best Odds Guaranteed At Bet365.Com Handicap

timeform
Nursery winner last July. Not up to the task in the Gimcrack on final 2-y-o start but back on the up when close second of 14 in 7f York handicap on reappearance. Ran poorly back down in trip there since, though. Bounce back called for.

CHARTWELL HOUSE - (hHaydock 6:25)
Price Promise At Bet365 Handicap

timeform
Didn't always look entirely straightforward at 2 yrs but there are no concerns in that regard on this season's evidence. Impressive from the front over this C&D (firm) last time and while he's now 9 lb higher in a stronger handicap, another bold show could be on the way.

ERTEBAT - (Nottingham, 19:12)
Premier League Offers At Rhino.Bet Handicap

timeform
Winner at Pontefract in May but again proved a disappointment taking on his elders for the first time when seventh of 10 in 7f handicap at Thirsk (soft) 18 days ago. Visor on for 1st time. Something to prove at present.

MAKAROVA - (Sandown, 13:50)
Coral Charge (Group 3) (Registered As The Sprint Stakes)

timeform
Strong at the finish when gaining her listed breakthrough at Ayr a fortnight ago, suited by how the race developed. Away from her own sex here and needs to improve again.

MAN OF EDEN - (Haydock, 17:00)

timeform
Irish import who landed the odds on debut for this yard in a Newcastle maiden (1m) in January and has been shaping up well in handicaps of late, coming from much further back than the pair he split in first-time blinkers at Newmarket (1m) last week. Remains of firm interest.

TIME LOCK - (Haydock, 14:40)
bet365 Lancashire Oaks (Fillies' And Mares' Group 2)

timeform
Progressed very well last year. Produced a perfectly satisfactory return after 9 months off when runner-up at Goodwood and seemed to find the conditions too firm when fourth to Sea Silk Road in Pinnacle Stakes here last time. Likely to get back on the up.

BOLD ACT - (Saint-Cloud, 17:05)
Prix Eugene Adam Stakes (Group 2)

Last edited:
I've backed Catch the Paddy today. Timeform harsh on Ertebat imo - the ground went against him lto at Thirsk and it's tough to come from the rear at that track on soft. Man of Eden is becoming a cliff horse but was poorly ridden last time at Newmarket.

I thought Gaassee was a bit of an eyecatcher today. It looked to me like he was ridden to preserve his mark (99) maybe with the Ebor in mind. He was 4/1 fav for it last year but went lame during the race. Off 103 then, he could be a big player this year.

Edit - Not many bookies are pricing up the Ebor but one is going 40/1 (4 places) about Gaassee so I've helped myself to modest stakes. If it turns out he needs a penalty to get in then I'd be sure they'll make it happen and his price will halve.

Last edited:
Entries for the Ebor made this week apparantly. So we should have more odds quoted by Thursday or Friday. Would they run Vauban in this?

timeform
Winner at Pontefract in May but again proved a disappointment taking on his elders for the first time when seventh of 10 in 7f handicap at Thirsk (soft) 18 days ago. Visor on for 1st time. Something to prove at present.

Take this sack of **** off the list please Bar. Ran Quinault to within a couple of lengths a few starts back giving him a pound and now never features in a shithouse gaff handicap at Nottingham. Shoot me if I ever suggest a fuckign Hugo Palmer horse ever again.

Results today:

CATCH THE PADDY - (Haydock, 17:00)

6th/10 5/1 - Dwelt start and squeezed out start, in rear, some headway over 2f out, never on terms (op 13/2)

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...76/best-odds-guaranteed-at-bet365com-handicap

CHARTWELL HOUSE - (hHaydock 6:25)
Price Promise At Bet365 Handicap

2nd/7 7/2 - Chartwell House went up 9lb for last month's
C&D success but that form had been boosted by the runner-up's win last weekend and he showed he's still on a workable mark, going down only to another progressive 3yo. RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ydock/746875/price-promise-at-bet365-handicap

7th/11 7/1 -

MAKAROVA - (Sandown, 13:50)
Coral Charge (Group 3) (Registered As The Sprint Stakes)

2nd/10 10/1 - Makarova had something to find at the weights but she's a progressive sprinter who turned in her best effort, despite hanging left, on her first start in Group company. The drop to 5f seems the catalyst for her improvement.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...harge-group-3-registered-as-the-sprint-stakes

MAN OF EDEN - (Haydock, 17:00)

3rd/10 5/1 - Man Of Eden kept on from the rear without ever looking like getting there over this shorter trip. He'll remain one to bear in mind, particularly back over a mile.RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...76/best-odds-guaranteed-at-bet365com-handicap

TIME LOCK - (Haydock, 14:40)
bet365 Lancashire Oaks (Fillies' And Mares' Group 2)

4th/8 17/2 - Time Lock, behind today's first two over the C&D last time, couldn't reverse the form, unable to muster the closing pace required.She looks worth a try over further, and does hold an entry in the Lillie Langtry (1m6f) at Goodwood. RP

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...365-lancashire-oaks-fillies-and-mares-group-2

BOLD ACT - (Saint-Cloud, 17:05)
Prix Eugene Adam Stakes (Group 2)

3rd/5 27/10 - Close-up in second, nudged along 3f out, lugged left when ridden 2 1/2f out, outpaced over 1f out, driven and kept on final 110yds

Back