For Those Thinking Of The Summer

Crikey - a straight treble! Love ZORIJA ROSE - what a gallant wee soul, tanking along in front and even squeezing a bit more speed when slightly pressed.

If Devoted To You is ready to do herself justice she'll be very hard to beat on that sort of ground. Makings of a pretty smart performer with ease in the ground. Would take a chance on High Award in the first as well.

Should she be 1/2?

Rare Ranson - two runs on firm ground since finishing 4th in a soft-ground Irish Guineas. I'm not sure 14/1 puts her at the right place in the market.

'tother O'Brien one - Similarly big price with a course/distance/going listed win under her belt. Too much being read in to the jockey for me.

Amazing stuff from Tommy Stack. Bet he wishes he'd found something, anything!, for the Lincolnshire.

Murtagh was 2 lbs overweight on Devoted To You... probably cost her the race.

Slow start as usual for O'Brien.

:lol:

What is the RP like these days? It's as bad as the Daily Express with all these meaningless polls - the latest tonight: Do you prefer NH or the Flat? Who the hell cares?

:rolleyes: Yes, no bias there at all! You begin to wonder if there's some chump whose sole job it is to think up really pointless polls.

Murtagh was 2 lbs overweight on Devoted To You... probably cost her the race.

Not just that, but none of the 3yos got the full weight for age allowance that they should have (its 17lbs over a mile at this stage of the year, but they were only getting 15lbs). So, Devoted To You was in total 4lbs worse off than she should have been.

Devoted to You really stood out in the paddock yesterday. She is a very big filly, much bigger than her stable companion and as big as any of the 4yo fillies in the race.

Nice one -- good price, too.

I'll plump for Reiteration in the last as well - has looked pretty promising on his debut last year and is sure to be very straight for this. Encompassing is pretty short for a horse that was beaten twice at odds on last year and was also entered in the horse in training sales at one stage as well so presumably he is no star. Will have a place on Ferdinand Magellan as well.

They are happy -

"We were happy with the way everything went at the Curragh yesterday. The majority of the horses that ran, ran well. Johnny thought that Emperor Hadrian is going to be a lovely colt when he gets more experience. Joseph's two year old Pirateer ran extremely green. Full Of Hope ran a nice race, but got a little bit tired in the last half furlong. Devoted To You ran a very good race and just got beaten by an older, tougher filly in the soft ground. Lady Lupus will appreciate better ground and will stay much further.

Purple Heart also ran well in the Handicap. Sean and Johnny's horses (Bright Horizon and Encompassing) ran well in the Maiden, but need to improve. Johnny (Reid) and Joseph’s horses (His Way and Ferdinand Magellan) hopefully will improve.

We were also happy with the way the horses worked after racing. Sam was very happy with St. Nicholas Abbey, but thought in an ideal world he would prefer much better ground. Johnny was happy with Age Of Aquarius, but thought that he ran a bit fresh and keen. He was also happy with Cape Blanco, but felt he can be a bit lazy in the soft ground. Seamus was very happy with Fame And Glory and Colm was also happy with Fencing Master who again can be very lazy in soft ground. Joseph felt that Mikhail Glinka has progressed since last year and was also happy with Beethoven, but felt that he doesn't like soft ground which we knew from last year. Brian was very happy with Alfred Nobel. Midas Touch also went well, but Davy thought he would prefer much better ground. At First Sight (Johnny Reid), Don Carlos (Colm) and Flying Cross (Sean) went well also. Stephen and Gary led Kaname on Rip Van Winkle just a gentle canter from the mile start. Kaname was very happy with him. They all had a very relaxing morning and all seem bright and happy in themselves."

Is it fair to say they were treating Rip Van Winkle a bit more carefully than the others?

Is it fair to say they were treating Rip Van Winkle a bit more carefully than the others?

Possibly - but then the question is because they are worried about it reoccuring or just O'Brien being his usual extra cautious self. I take it as a positive that Newbury and not Ascot will be his first target.

There are some interesting entries for Leopardstown on Sunday.

Among the colts entered:

Stunning View
Free Judgement
Keradari
Viscount Nelson
Black Quartz
Fighting Brave

Among the fillies entered:

Famous
You'll be mine
Atasari

Unlikely to be any guineas winners but interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see posts on the forum about National Hunt now that the flat season is in full swing.

I would add Noll Wallop to that list - looked a nice type last season and is from a stable that has had a couple of winners already!

There are some interesting entries for Leopardstown on Sunday.

Among the colts entered:

Stunning View
Free Judgement
Keradari
Viscount Nelson
Black Quartz
Fighting Brave

Among the fillies entered:

Famous
You'll be mine
Atasari

Unlikely to be any guineas winners but interesting nonetheless.

Back