Forum Horse Connections

I'm currently hanging on to them. It emerged during late night pints that a couple of the syndicate have backed another horse.

There may be blood.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It says he refused but the stable said he was distracted by a loose horse that ran across the fence and, looking at the race again I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt even though he was probably glad to have an excuse to stop. I did back him for the race because I thought he ran really well in the previous race.

I'm currently hanging on to them. It emerged during late night pints that a couple of the syndicate have backed another horse.

There may be blood.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

And their names are neither Ivan nor Tony

So, Kemboy strolls off into the sunset and goes to one of his owners to be assessed in other equestrian disciplines.

He came second in a flat race before moving to Closutton and then had 4 races in his novice hurdle season, winning his maiden. He was also second in a G2 and fifth in the Neptune. I bought in during the following summer when he was regarded as a potential staying hurdler so, naturally, his next appearance was coming second in a beginners chase. A win at the same level earned him a run in the JLT where he came fourth to Shattered Love. His next race was a fall at the first in the Irish National but he finished the season with wins in a G3 and off 147 in the valuable novice handicap at Punchestown.

Starting the following season rated 157 he won the Clonmel Oils Chase cosily and was set to run in the Ladbroke Trophy at Newbury when strong winds prevented him travelling and he was a late withdrawal. It may have been a blessing in disguise because, in his first open G1 chase, he ran right away from ten other G1 winners in the Savills. He was to run in the the next 4 editions of the race, finishing second twice and third and fourth once each. Next up it was the Gold Cup where he was recorded as unseating at the first but he was actually knocked over by Presenting Percy jumping across him. This race and the Irish National were the only times that he failed to complete and both, in my view, were jockey error. His style of jumping won no prizes but, as Ruby said, you have to "Let him alone. He knows what he's doing". Redemption came less than 3 weeks later with a facile win in the Aintree Bowl then it was on to Punchestown for a Mayday showdown with Al Boum Photo where he famously retired Ruby on a high and earned the status as highest rated staying chaser for that season.

During the following 4 seasons he has provided us with many memories including the lockdown Irish Gold Cup and, in all that time, he only had one injury that kept him out for any length of time. As that was in the period of the Covid shutdown, it passed unnoticed by the majority. It's ironic that he's picked up his recent injury that will prevent him from having one last run at Punchestown but he's relatively in one piece which is a blessing.

His chasing career in figures is 30 races, 9 wins, 8 seconds and 2 thirds. Of those 30 races, 20 were at G1 level where he won 4, with 4 seconds and 2 thirds. He ran at 11 different tracks, winning at 6. The only track where he ran without coming in the first three was Cheltenham and his JLT fourth got him into the winners enclosure even there. Career prize-money, depending on the exchange rate used, is around £830k or 980k euro.

The last word has to be:

Last edited:
That’s a bugger of an injury - my old boss’s polo pony did that and we couldn’t correct it with the surgery, she learnt to live with it and had a fine old retirement but it was really odd to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one Maruco. Won well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Viking, and sorry for the slow response. Yes Jeff won pretty easily. It was very nice to win a feature Saturday race too. We got 8lbs for that but it shouldn't stop him.

We needed to give him a break, so we're likely to get a couple more races in before he has a second holiday. We'll also be avoiding winter ground in future, so back for the Chepstow Persian War Meeting season opener early October, and then another break when the weather goes, and then back for the spring Festivals.

20250B98-9A44-496A-A6DB-D7E89514EDD3.jpeg
This is my beloved Regis Flight who is 21 years young today! How he’s managed to get here is remarkable considering he’s had some pretty horrendous injuries over the last five years.

He never won (extenuating circumstances concerning water issues...but we won’t go there!) But has won a charity race with me riding him, several showing classes, turned into the most brilliant hunter and just given me so much pleasure over the years. He’s the funniest horse I have ever owned and if you ignore him, he will put on a display until you take notice.

Today I made him a cake which he rather liked....horse mix, apples, carrots, polos and molasses. Suffice to say the others were only allowed very small pieces!

There's spoiling them then there's spoiling them.....I wish I was a horse under your care:lol:
Ah this is a special occasion to be fair! They were a bit surprised as I stopped feeding them over the weekend as the grass has started to come through now. And there was a bit of a bun fight as soon as they realised how delicious it was. The horse out of shot (lovely ex Jeremy Scott horse called Dukes Affair) didn’t get a look in. The mare (she’s the Kay Tara one I mentioned before) in the photo was allowed a small corner as Reg inhaled the rest.

:lol: He did! I did contemplate candles but it was a tad blowy so I thought they’d blow out first.

Our syndicate’s newest horse, Rule The Wind, runs at Kilbeggan this evening. We’re hoping for the best.

Back