Frankel and the International Stakes

I d

This is why flat racing is such a peculiar sport that baffles many.

KP smashes a brilliant century in 2005 at the oval and everyone says "nothing to prove now. May as well retire". Messi bangs in 50 goals in season, Usain bolt wins a gold etc etc etc

Whats is your point here ?

Frankel for me is the best horse ever and likely will ever be

a friend of mine was at newmarket in the Guineas and told me " we have had a new feeling going racing"

It is amzing to see a horse running 140 or more so regularly and what is more important I think he can win the Arc and the Nunthorpe in the same season.

I was there today (eventually - traffic management couldn't cope with the increased crowds. We set off at 10am for a journey that would usually take 2.5 hours and missed the first race.) The atmosphere was unbelievable, the anticipation around the pre-parade ring was palpable - we were lucky enough to get a railside pitch by going to the pre-parade while the runners for the Voltigeur were still in there, and just as well because by the time the Juddmonte runners came in, they were eight deep. As for the race itself, I'm sure some people must have opposed Frankel financially but you wouldn't have thought it the way everyone yelled him home. It was a definite "I was there" moment. The only sad point was seeing how ill Sir Henry looked, although I suppose it was encouraging to see him there at all.

It was proof that if racing gets the product right, people will come...even on a Wednesday.

KP smashes a brilliant century in 2005 at the oval and everyone says "nothing to prove now. May as well retire". Messi bangs in 50 goals in season, Usain bolt wins a gold etc etc etc

When human sporting legends retire that's the end, they make no more meaningful contribution to the sport. But when our top flat horses finish racing they continue to be a part of the sport by fathering the next bunch of superstars.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivex
I d

Whats is your point here ?

do i really have to elaborate?

uote:
Originally Posted by clivex

When human sporting legends retire that's the end, they make no more meaningful contribution to the sport. But when our top flat horses finish racing they continue to be a part of the sport by fathering the next bunch of superstars.

So one more year out of 15 or so in the stud is as good as one more year on the race course

and they dont father superstars every time do they? Dancing Brave?

I would be as fascinated as anyone to see his offspring but i think it goes without sayng that i would rather see him race. Its weird that others cant see it the same way. Very strange

And it goes without saying, the sport as a whole would be far better off with him racing rather than retired. It would be a massive boost. Thats giving something back. Racing needs to draw in punters and they are not drawn by stud books (unless they have a kink or something)

of all the discussions on these forums this is the one that baffles me most> Flat racing is strange

Last edited:
QUOTE=clivex;486428]So one more year out of 15 or so in the stud is as good as one more year on the race course

You may as well say that Messi stays part of the sport by getting his coaching qualifications at 25 or something

do me a favour[/QUOT

I suspect there's the worry he could end up being fatally injured on the racetrack through a freak moment like George Washington. If that were to happen the outcry would be enormous and the loss to the breed horrendous potentially.

QUOTE=clivex;486428]So one more year out of 15 or so in the stud is as good as one more year on the race course

You may as well say that Messi stays part of the sport by getting his coaching qualifications at 25 or something

do me a favour[/QUOT

I suspect there's the worry he could end up being fatally injured on the racetrack through a freak moment like George Washington. If that were to happen the outcry would be enormous and the loss to the breed horrendous potentially.

GW was gay anyway and couldnt get it up with fillies

I can understand what you say to an extent but really....
The breed will get by and the chances of this? Never get out of bed living like that

Last edited:
Mind what?

Isnt it obvious? win everything and then beat another lot. Even more kudos. Ask Usain

if you are asking why it "baffles many", yes, it takes some explaining why billionaires need to rush to count the pennies from stud fees rather than enjoy a once in a lifetime horse for as long as possible

As i say, not everyone (thankfully) is a bloodless accountant

Last edited:
If he was mine, I think I would leave the Arc. It's my favourite race of the whole year and I'd love to run a horse in it but I think when push came to shove, you just wouldn't want to take him yet another step out of his supposed "comfort zone" at the end of his career. Especially at Longchamp where a big field is guaranteed and the prospect of traffic etc. would be greater than any other race he's been in.

I would however, look to take in the Breeders Cup Classic regardless of the dirt surface (Santa Anita must be bloody kicking themselves they binned the pro-ride and didn't wait another two years). The moronic scheduling of British Champions Day has ruined that prospect as well.

If he were mine..it would be the Arc...not a fan of the breeders cup...might as well stick him in the Winter derby if he is to go down the AW route;)

I think he would have won the Derby..SteveM thought the same as i remember..not seen owt of Steve on here for a while..are you out their you Denman hugger?;)

If he were mine..it would be the Arc...not a fan of the breeders cup...might as well stick him in the Winter derby if he is to go down the AW route;)

I think he would have won the Derby..SteveM thought the same as i remember..not seen owt of Steve on here for a while..are you out their you Denman hugger?;)

I have wondered why they ran him in the Royal Lodge at 2 if they hadn't thought he was a potential Derby horse.

If he was mine, I think I would leave the Arc. It's my favourite race of the whole year and I'd love to run a horse in it but I think when push came to shove, you just wouldn't want to take him yet another step out of his supposed "comfort zone" at the end of his career. Especially at Longchamp where a big field is guaranteed and the prospect of traffic etc. would be greater than any other race he's been in.

His comfort zone extends from here to Tokyo. Short of an injury there's not another horse that could live with him. Everything else is taking two strides to his one just to keep up with him. Big field? He could stick to the outer the whole way around and still win as he likes.

His comfort zone extends from here to Tokyo. Short of an injury there's not another horse that could live with him. Everything else is taking two strides to his one just to keep up with him. Big field? He could stick to the outer the whole way around and still win as he likes.

Japan Cup then? :D

I agree in part but I think when it came down to it, if he was yours, you'd swerve it.

If you think about it Frankel will have the best chance of running to his biggest rating in the Champion as he is likely to face Cirrus des Aigles (who can't run in the Arc) who is third best rated in the world at the moment behind Frankel and Black Caviar.

I honestly don't know what would be the right thing to do with him.

His "races" have become not much different to watching him on his home gallops, which is to say he is a glorious sight but he is not being tested. Unless some potential superstar is to be found among the current juveniles to challenge him, I don't see what more he could achieve other than win the Arc. They could stretch his range of distances, from the Jubilee at Ascot to the Melbourne Cup but that would be turning him into a circus act, even if he won them all.

Last edited:
Arc next year. Breeders cup. KGV. July cup even. whatever he wants. Beat the next lot

Thats not circus (a convicts handicap would be perhaps). Thats sealing even more his greatness. its called sport

Last edited:
I work in an office that has absolutely no interest in horse racing. However, I sent around an email saying they were about to miss the Usain Bolt of horse racing putting up his best performance. There was a group of us in the board room watching the race and even these lads that know nothing about racing were riding a finish on him.

I liked STS, but Frankel is simply a monster. To put an array of genuine group 1 horses to the sword over two years is impressive. He's not beating the same horses. And to cruise up beside group 1 horses and saunter by like they had lead in their feet was amaxing. I was really impressed by his Royal Ascot win and he has three key assets, the ability to travel, quicken and keep going. I think most horses can do two of the three but not all three, particularly the last bit over a long stretch of ground.

The best I have ever seen.

Hearing the roar in the Ebor Stand as he cruised past SNA yesterday was an experience I'll treasure for the rest of my days. I've never witnessed crowds like that at my local courses. It was incredible!

Still the best horse I've ever seen ... and by some distance!

Sad to see Sir Henry so frail though. I hope he takes a breather now and regroups for Frankel's final race(s).

Back