Frankel V Canford Cliffs

He gets such a hard time any time he fucks up. He was under immense pressure. He grabbed the race by the scruff of the neck. He learned from his mistakes. I think he deserves a mention, particularly given that people were making comments about TQ being a factor in Canford winning the race on this thread.

Of course, the horse was far superior, but he didn't do anything wrong.

Last edited:
When your wrong your wrong but very glad in this case. Unbelievable performance to take Canford Cliffs off the bridle so early and then blast away takes some doing.

SteveM - Here's a few excuses from Hughes you might want to use:

"I don't want to stand here making excuses as Frankel deserves all the credit.

"If we'd won and they were making excuses I wouldn't like it, so I don't want to do the same.

"It definitely wasn't a 100% run."

So no excuses then?

Haven't seen the race yet but I think we are watching one of racings all time greats now.

Timeform have upped Frankel's Master Rating by a pound to 142. Think the performance rating for today was 139+.

Horses react in different ways when they are brought to their physical maximum, that's what happened with Canford Cliffs imo. Frankel forced upon him exertion that he hasn't had before. Hanging left isn't a new phenomenon, he also did it in the Greenham.

I'll be agreeably surprised if he does.

Remain in training next season, that is.

Last edited:
Horses react in different ways when they are brought to their physical maximum, that's what happened with Canford Cliffs imo. Frankel forced upon him exertion that he hasn't had before. Hanging left isn't a new phenomenon, he also did it in the Greenham.

I think this is probably absolutely right. I think that Canford may have been a shade below his best but Frankel pulverised him. Canford found his limits today and wasn't up to giving Frankel 8lbs. At levels I'm also sure Frankel would have won. He was astonishing.

I'm delighted for Cecil who believes this is the best horse he has seen (let alone trained), comparing him favourably with Blushing Groom and Shergar. He knew they messed up at Ascot and has put it right.

Ridden this way I'm confident Frankel will go on to prove himself at a mile-and-a-quarter.

Last edited:
He was absolutely savage today. The Guineas might have been a more meritous performance, but there was always the lingering doubt that the other fancied horses ran like drains in that race.

Today, in spite of there being only 3 opponents, was savage. We know how good Canford is. We know how good RDLP is. He absolutely smashed them up.

I would love to see him over 10f now. So You Think is the only other horse with star quality left to beat, in spite of the belief (justified probably) that SYT is all furry coat and no knickers.

Taking on (and beating) SYT at York over 10f would be a sight to behold.

Last edited:
It's that lady Urban Sea again.
And Galileo and Nearctic and Northern Dancer and Danzig and Sadler's Wells all clapping from the sidelines.

Taking on (and beating) SYT at York over 10f would be a sight to behold.

Today's race was one I feel privileged to have witnessed. The one you describe above would be another. While the horse that beat Workforce in the Eclipse is excellent I'd have doubts he'd stand up to the horse we saw today.

Canford found his limits today and wasn't up to giving Frankel 8lbs. At levels I'm sure Frankel would have won. He was astonishing.

Steve

with this comment you look a novice in the sport
Frankel was receiving the wfa weight, SO they were running level weights

it is absurd the comment of a 4yo giving weight to a horse in a gr1

spot on

I think that's a very fair point on the whole, although it's worth noting that Canford Cliffs seemed to crack before Frankel exerted maximum pressure, suggesting that there was another reason for his slightly disappointing performance. In saying that, it's clear after the event that even a vintage Canford Cliffs wouldn't have pushed Frankel hard today.

Steve

with this comment you look a novice in the sport
Frankel was receiving the wfa weight, SO they were running level weights

it is absurd the comment of a 4yo giving weight to a horse in a gr1

How so suny? I'm fully aware they were carrying weight for age. Nevertheless Canford was actually giving the other horse weight. Are you entirely ignorant of the debate of horses of any age carrying the same weight in championship races? I'm not saying I would necessarily agree with those that would have it so, but this doesn't change the fact that CC had 8lbs more on his back.

All of this aside I stated that I believe Frankel would have won anyway. Sort yourself out before posting such nonsense...

Last edited:
He is just downright awesome . I agree that Canford Cliffs was probably below par but I suspect had he been on top form he might have been a bit closer at best and there would have been a bigger gap to the third.

That was a mullering !

Bring on So you Think - AOB will be renaming him where did he go ?

One thing is clear nobody will ever let Frankel go at his own pace again !!!

Queally evidently did exactly what HRAC told him to do and executed the plan well- makes his Ascot ride seem even worse than ever - that he nearly got such a horse beaten was quite a feat

This is surely the best miler since the Brigadier.

Last edited:
Back