Frankel V Canford Cliffs

Steady on, SteveDearest - we're only thinking about a Forum Drama Queen comp, y'know. We haven't yet started it! But nice early work there. We could ante up a complimentary one point for 'tart responses', if you like? Or, alternatively, badges for six for Kempton, week nights?

It annoys me that in some races 3 year olds are now prevented from competing . For example the Glorious Stakes today used to be 3 year olds and upwards as did the old Newton Cup I think .

For example the Glorious Stakes today used to be 3 year olds and upwards.

I don't have a problem with that in this case. Given that the 3-y-os also have a suitable opportunity earlier in the week in the Gordon Stakes. It's like the Queen Anne used to be open to 3-y-os when a Group 2, makes sense to prevent them running and force them to go the St James's Palace now it's a Group 1.

Steve, how come you did not bring up all this stuff about weight for age etc when Canford was beating Rip Van Winkle in last year's Sussex Stakes?

Steve, how come you did not bring up all this stuff about weight for age etc when Canford was beating Rip Van Winkle in last year's Sussex Stakes?

Jockeys and trainers do it regularly. Mention it when it suits, completely ignore it when it doesn't.

Despite being a big fan of Canford, I acknowledged that Rip was ahead of him on absolutes (...as older horses usually are). However with the WFA concession I stongly fancied Canford in last year's race.

In many ways I'm delighted to see Frankel run the way he did in this renewal as it was totally different to the way they ran him at Ascot (when he did his best work in the middle of the race, as we discussed). It reassures me that he will be fine when eventually stepped up.

On a 3yo basis I would have to admit that Frankel's performance this year was superior to Canford's last year. Without the WFA concession last year Canford would have likely been beaten. However, I'd happiliy admit that this year Frankel would have won anyway.

Last edited:

Despite being a big fan of Canford, I acknowledged that Rip was ahead of him on absolutes (...as older horses usually are). However with the WFA concession I stongly fancied Canford in last year's race.

In many ways (not from a betting point of view though!) I'm delighted to see Frankel run the way he did in this renewal as it was totally different to the way they ran him at Ascot (when he did his best work in the middle of the race, as we discussed). It reassures me that he will be fine when eventually stepped up.

On a 3yo basis I would have to admit that Frankel's performance this year was superior to Canford's last year. Without the WFA concession last year Canford would have likely been beaten. However, I'd happiliy admit that this year Frankel would have won anyway.

Last edited:
Steady on, SteveDearest - we're only thinking about a Forum Drama Queen comp, y'know. We haven't yet started it! But nice early work there. We could ante up a complimentary one point for 'tart responses', if you like? Or, alternatively, badges for six for Kempton, week nights?

...I might take you up on that... and I do have the legs for it.;)

I know you have the legs for it, darling - I really enjoyed your show at the Pussy Cat club on the poles. Faaaabuloso!

(I auditioned, you know, but there was an unfortunate accident when the pole came loose from the ceiling and dinged two of the watching assessors. No lasting damage, but I shall be performing under the name of 'Rebar Rita' in future, which is slightly insulting.)

Frankel is the clearest illustration of all why it was moronic in the extreme to decide to run the QEII and the Champion Stakes on the same day.

Last edited:
if the dates were as in the past
he woud run only the queii ,and if running one more would do it in the Breeders Cup.

I disagree - I reckon they would go for the Champion this year . Cecil thinks Churchill Downs is a dump so don't expect to see Midday there either.

Frankel is the clearest illustration of all why it was moronic in the extreme to decide to run the QEII and the Champion Stakes on the same day.

Why? He would never have run in both when they were at Ascot and Newmarket so I don't understand your point?

Why? He would never have run in both when they were at Ascot and Newmarket so I don't understand your point?

Bosrs Sham ran in both races as did Bahri -that's two from
the top of my head.
Both races are a realistic target for a certain type of horse.

2010 Poet's Voice
2005 Rakti
2004 Lucky Story, Refuse To Bend, Norse Dancer
2003 Russian Rhythm
2002 Sholokhov
2001 Hawkeye
2000 Almushtarak, Lermontev
1999 Almushtarak, Gold Academy
1998 Almustarak
1997 Bahhare, Bijou D'Inde, Revoque
1996 Bosra Sham, First Island
1995 Bahri
1994 Mehthaaf
1992 Lahhib
1990 Linamix
1988 Pesian Heights

Not to mention Brigadier Gerard winning both races in 1971 and 1972.

Last edited:
Back