French Guineas

Intense Focus 7-2 for French 2,000 Guineas

By Desmond Stoneham6.37PM 5 MAY 2009
FRANCE: Dewhurst winner Intense Focus is 7-2 favourite with Blue Square to win the Poule d'Essai des Poulains, the French 2,000 Guineas, at Longchamp on Sunday.
His Jim Bolger-trained stablemate Vocalised, who won at the Curragh on Monday, also features among 14 colts left in the Classic at Tuesday's forfeit stage, but the Irish equivalent is his nominated target.
Second favourite behind Intense Focus is Irish compatriot Westphalia, runner-up to Sunday's French-trained rival Silver Frost on his seasonal reappearance in a Group 3 over course and distance last month.
Rated 9-2 chances for the Poulains are Godolphin's Shaweel and Naaqoos, who had Intense Focus back in third in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagadere at Longchamp last autumn.
However, the Freddie Head-trained colt tarnished his reputation when beaten at odds-on in the Prix Djebel at Maisons-Laffitte last month in a race won by Le Havre, who has also been marked down for a run in the Poulains.
"It was not a bad trial and he needed the race in the Djebel," said Head. "I think the straight course was a bit ofa surprise for him.
"He had a little spin this morning and I am very happy with the colt, though I would prefer the ground to be on the fast side."
The going at Longchamp on Tuesday morning was 3.4 - the equivalent of good to soft.
Cloudy conditions are expected to prevail for much of the week and there could be some rain on Thursday and some showers, possibly thundery, on Sunday. The going for the meeting is likely to be between good and good to soft.
Poule d'Essai des Poulains
Blue Square: 7-2 Intense Focus, 4 Westphalia, 9-2 Naaqoos, Shaweel, 5 Silver Frost, 6 Le Havre, 16 Zafisio, 20 Handsome Maestro, Oiseau De Feu, 25 bar

Was thinking the same.

It's a very uninspiring renewal, but Naaqoos surely stands out if you take his run in the Djebel as a trial.

I like Silver Frost, a lot but I'm not sure if he'll beat Naaqoos if he has improved back to his best for his run in the Djebel.

Will hold out for the day in the hope people pile into the two Irish horses with UK bookmakers.

Dewhurst winner, Lagadere winner, Champagne Stakes winner, National Stakes second, couple of trial winners. Looks up to snuff to me.

Gareth,

rather than quoting winners and runners up of previous races, tell me .... would any of the runners in the French 2000 have started in single figure odds for the Newmarket version?

I said it's a poor renewal. The guineas in England and France often stand comparison. My point in response to your point that it's a good renewal is not one runner in France would start a single figure price for the UK version, hence it's a poor renewal.

According to a few on here the Newmarket version wasn't going to be any good either.It's impossible to gage as all the horses in the race will run a career best. Lets let them run and than judge. The reason they didn't take their chance in newmarket could be down to any no. of factors .

If it's a poor renewal, it'll be because the 2yos last year weren't any great shakes. But what can a French Guineas do but attract some of the best 2yos and the French trial winners?

If it's a poor renewal, it'll be because the 2yos last year weren't any great shakes. But what can a French Guineas do but attract some of the best 2yos and the French trial winners?

I think the two year olds last year where minded a lot. There seems to be a shift away from the desire to produce early two year olds at all cost to horses who train on and are durable. This is in responce to what the market now wants.You now see a lot more older horses in training from the big yards.

13 left in at the probable stage today.

1. Naaqoos (F. Head)
2. Le Havre (J-C. Rouget)
3. Handsome Maestro (D. Smaga)
4. Silver Frost (Y. de Nicolay)
5. Roi Des Sables (B. de Montzey)
6. Shaweel (S. bin Suroor)
7. Westphalia (AP. O'Brien)
8. Born To Be King (AP. O'Brien)
9. Intense Focus (J. Bolger)
10. Vocalised (J. Bolger)
11. Coat Of Arms (AP. O'Brien)