Galway Festival 2011

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
I think (& thought) Irish racing was farcical, but got drawn into looking at cards by the amount of posts on here. 6/1 seemd too good to be true so more fool me. If he doesn't get a ban, it's fair to say Irish racing is best avoided.

I was hoping the Weld lemmings remark would be quietly forgotten.I have been in dispute with Betfair for the last 48 hours -you wouldn't believe the heartache and cash its saved me.

I was hoping the Weld lemmings remark would be quietly forgotten.I have been in dispute with Betfair for the last 48 hours -you wouldn't believe the heartache and cash its saved me.

I can never understand why betting exchanges get involved in disputes - you back a horse someone else lays you a price or vice-versa, they get their percentage anyway - I hope it all ended well after you fought your corner.

Address Unknown has to taken on today in the 8.30. 4/5 to beat a good yard quick in The Bull Hayes and the very usefull Fleur De Nuit is not for the faint hearted.

Address Unknown has to taken on today in the 8.30. 4/5 to beat a good yard quick in The Bull Hayes and the very usefull Fleur De Nuit is not for the faint hearted.

Hawk Flight done me out of a five figure payout last year when he was done a SH. I was absolutely sick. Being a believer of horses for courses and all that jazz, this one isnt out of it either.

I just noticed Sheikh Mohammed colours on one of Dermot Welds tomorrow - excuse my ignorance but how long has he been sending runners to Irish trainers to run in his own colours?

In 2010 he put two year olds in training with Weld, Bolger, Oxx, Halford, Marnane and Lyons. He has continued that this year. Other than the best two most of the three year olds have remained with those trainers this year.

In 2010 he put two year olds in training with Weld, Bolger, Oxx, Halford, Marnane and Lyons. He has continued that this year. Other than the best two most of the three year olds have remained with those trainers this year.

And haven't done very well since they left either... One of them has picked up Godolphinitis....

Anyone actually there during the week? Is it fabulous fun? I'm wondering if the local hotels are far away and how much they might cost. I have a friend (my co-breeder of TRY THE CHANCE) who's forever banging on about going away somewhere 'nice' and watching some racing.

She's also on the look-out for an older man (as in, 60+), solvent, non-smoker, must love dogs and greyhound racing, own teeth. Anyone have a Grampa in need of a very convivial, smart, tiny blonde companion, let me know. He can consider his life sorted. She has racing dogs in Ireland, too, so there'd be some good craic to be had. (I won't ask for a commission - just a bottle of Talisker will do.)

Anyone actually there during the week? Is it fabulous fun? I'm wondering if the local hotels are far away and how much they might cost. I have a friend (my co-breeder of TRY THE CHANCE) who's forever banging on about going away somewhere 'nice' and watching some racing.

She's also on the look-out for an older man (as in, 60+), solvent, non-smoker, must love dogs and greyhound racing, own teeth. Anyone have a Grampa in need of a very convivial, smart, tiny blonde companion, let me know. He can consider his life sorted. She has racing dogs in Ireland, too, so there'd be some good craic to be had. (I won't ask for a commission - just a bottle of Talisker will do.)

I've been there most days this week. Yesterday was just mahem (but in a good way). Woke up this morning (well this afternoon) got ready adn went up to thje races again today. I am shattered:blink: the town is hopping and we are just going into a bank holiday so as some of the racing crowd leave more cpme in their place. There is a hotel just across from the race track (The Clayton), but galway is not that big and there is a scatter of hotels not far away. There is a dog track on the way back into town on College Road. I even forgot to enter the competiion today I was in sucha hurry to leave the house this afternoon. I'm going to bed

Sweet dreams, Loosehead! Thanks for that - it sounds as if it'd be hectic, but very good fun, especially with the dogs to hand as well. Carol loves her dogs but may have to cut back a bit, as the ones she's rehoming on retirement cost her £1,000 a month to keep, without the six she's got in her own house, and those racing in Ireland and in England. Hey, anyone up for an ex-racing greyhound? Lovely, sweet-natured doggies, snore most of the day and only need a little bit of a run-around, contrary to what most people think. If anyone wants one, just PM me. Carol will want to know where they go, but after that there's no interference.

Weld having some meeting again

DERMOT WELD furthered his incredible Galway record on Sunday as Comedic Art cruised to victory in the penultimate race of this year's festival.

The County Kildare trainer broke his own personal record of 11 winners, achieved at last year's festival, withan incredible 17 successes from 36 runners this week.

Weld continues his Galway dominance and picks up the festival's leading trainer award for the 27th time in his illustrious career.

The mans a legend :adore:

It should be remembered that Weld targets this meeting and the quality of the racing is sometimes desparate. The maiden Comedic Art won was dire. There was a serious lack of runners from the bigger yards this week. O'Brien had a few, Oxx had a few, Bolger a few. But Weld goes there with his strongest team of the year, whereas others will run their good horses on a more convetional track next weekend. Not taking away from the performance, just making the point that the poor quality of the racing makes it easier.

It should be remembered that Weld targets this meeting and the quality of the racing is sometimes desparate. The maiden Comedic Art won was dire. There was a serious lack of runners from the bigger yards this week. O'Brien had a few, Oxx had a few, Bolger a few. But Weld goes there with his strongest team of the year, whereas others will run their good horses on a more convetional track next weekend. Not taking away from the performance, just making the point that the poor quality of the racing makes it easier.

And long may it continue that way - only 5 winners were odds-on (3 if you used betfair). From a punting for profit point of view what more could ask for?

Just thinking this a.m., watching some replays, how many fallers Shark Hanlon had. Three were fatalities, I believe, and I hope CARIBBEAN SEA's fall wasn't. Why would that be? Are his horses a bit on the weak side? It just seemed either the Hand of Fate was in a particularly vicious mood, or something's a wee bit awry with either their schooling or their strength. Certainly a very tragic and disappointing week for the team.

Bit of a brute, is he, Gears? Well, there's no substitute for good riding - whaling away doesn't necessarily concentrate a horse, for some it just distracts them and they lose their focus. Sorry to see that.

Do you know the incident I'm referring too? Justin Hanlon did a piece in the RP were he reported Declan slapping the horse in the parade ring. Shark was not happy with it or the ride he gave the horse and jocked him off one he was booked to ride on Saturday. As for McDonagh, there is no substitute for him in a finish, he is ruthless. There is a school of thought that he could never stop a horse because he has such a dislike for most of them that he can't help himself beating the bejusus out of them up the straight.

No, Gears, hadn't heard about that incident, but it's a perverse sort of fellow who'd choose to work with something he hated, that's for sure. Sounds like he'd be better off working in those special places where a lot of leather gets worn and, uh, used. I'm sure the money's more, too.

I had a nice text off Shark Sunday after Book`em Danno won. congratulating us on the horse,which we bought off him,a month ago. Good to see he keeps an interest in his previous horses.:)

I had a nice text off Shark Sunday after Book`em Danno won. congratulating us on the horse,which we bought off him,a month ago. Good to see he keeps an interest in his previous horses.:)

Very approachable guy-spoke to him a few times at the races and he seems to get some satisfaction from pointing people in the right direction.

Back