Galway Festival 2011

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
CCB runs in the hurdle and not the plate

They must think they have a chance of upholding the form with the "Non Trier" from the last day!!

What do people think of the ride it got? Is it a tricky ride? If so surely the Galway Hurdle isnt the race for it. Or was it just being looked after with a view to the next day?

They must think they have a chance of upholding the form with the "Non Trier" from the last day!!

What do people think of the ride it got? Is it a tricky ride? If so surely the Galway Hurdle isnt the race for it. Or was it just being looked after with a view to the next day?
You'd think so Del but then even as a tricky ride it's got 1 1/2 stone less than it should be.

Personally think it was a shocker - could easily have tucked him in behind horses on the rail and struggled for a run, wouldn't have looked anywhere near as bad.

Wouldn't want to back him at the current price - and think JP will have far better chances of winning the Plate than Captain Cee Bee.

The Real Article is a horse I liked from his bumper days. They should have been a hell of a lot cuter than the last day. 18 pounds in hands should be colossal but be sure there are one or 2 others in there with similar profiles

Which one, the Captain or The Real Article?

That Tipperary race was a valuable one in its own right, and the difference between first and second prize was €25k. Not many people would deliberately throw that away, even for a better shot at a sum five times greater than that.

Galway could suit Captain Cee Bee well, given the way he has battled up the hill at Cheltenham and his apparent preference for courses with a stiffer finish. The Real Article, on the other hand, has been doing his winning on level tracks.

Last edited:
One main bet for me today in the Fillies Maiden:

Mahaazen, Jemmima's Pearl - Reverse Fc.

Also a few quid on Dreamy Gent ew in the second.

Galway Races Day 2 Tips from Galway Bay Fm Local radio station : 5.05 London Bridge, 5.35 Muirhead, 6.10 Rainforest Magic and Dusty Trail, 6.45 Boynagh Joy and Stunning View, 7.15 Shamooda (nap), 7.45 Toufan Express and Iron Major, 8.15 Catch the Eye. They only had one winner yesterday (6.10 Riviera Poet 2/1) and are hoping for a bit better today

Current weather
Broken clouds
Temperature: 16°C expected to reach 20°C later on
Wind: North-Northwest, 11.1 km/h

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was last year or the year before, but Weld had a similarly poor (bar the one winner) start to the meeting and had plenty of winners as the week went on. It's happening again me thinks. Two poor horses in the two handicaps but I'd say his good one is coming later in the week. Anyone know what it is :D

Cantoris, it wouldn't be Rainforest magic by any chance? This fella is out of a Shirley Heights mare so should love the step up to 2m today..4/1 is fair enough for a possible Weld improver.

What do we think of Sublime Talent in the first? My initial hunch was that he would win this and pick up a penalty to scrape into the Galway hurdle. Looks like he will get in anyway, with Overturn not turning up.

I really like this horse, superbly bred and improving at a rate of knots over sticks!

Think Eoin Doyle's Raggletagglegypsy has been seriously underated in the market for the Ballybrit opener - there was 9/1 available earlier in the day but that's been snapped up since. He's won his last two Hurdles including against todys rival Greenbelt Star last time out at Killarney. He'd taken a while to get the hang of things but ran 2nd to Open Up Your Heart in a Down Royal bumper in Feb with two potentially high class horses (Aupcharlie - 3rd in Champion Bumper and Mount Benbublen) in behind, the rating of 115 looks lenient to me so it's somewhat surprising that they've opted to take in another Novices Hurdle rather than a handicap.

Martin

If you fancy the horse don't be overly concerned about the drift.Twice in the past I have fancied The Fonze for my life and he has drifted unnaturally but still won.

Last edited:
I'm out of touch but why is Muirhead 6/1? He is a stone better than these. Can he not jump of something?

What a w*nker carberry is.

Can anyone explain to me what just happened there? He was the last on the bridle and he never put him into the race. I can't understand it - I had him each way so there' no damage done but he should have won that easily.

Stunning View drawn 4 and up with the pace. There is a more of a bias over a mile at Galway than Chester.

I think you will find that Meade was happy with the ride.
I think (& thought) Irish racing was farcical, but got drawn into looking at cards by the amount of posts on here. 6/1 seemd too good to be true so more fool me. If he doesn't get a ban, it's fair to say Irish racing is best avoided.

Current weather

Broken clouds
Temperature: 14 °C
Wind: East-Southeast, 5.6 km/h
Drizzly this morning supposed to dry up this afternoon

Last edited:
I think (& thought) Irish racing was farcical, but got drawn into looking at cards by the amount of posts on here. 6/1 seemd too good to be true so more fool me. If he doesn't get a ban, it's fair to say Irish racing is best avoided.

I didn't see the race but Carberry was asked about his opinion on the Real Article race last weekend in the Irish Field and he said Muirhead stopped very quickly. So maybe he was concerned and didn't want to put the bullet to his head too early. As I said, I didn't see the race but there can be underlying reasons as to why a horse is ridden that way. Plus, Muirhead is not the biggest horse so not sure he was ever going to excel over fences.

I am not sure that he would have won the race, but he certainly was never put into the race with any chance of winning.

For me it looked like the type of race to note very carefully, and Muirhead is definitely in my notebook in future.

There are dozens of rides given to horses like that every week. In fairness to Carberry, he got after the horse for the last furlong, but the winner had set sail for home.

I am not sure that he would have won the race, but he certainly was never put into the race with any chance of winning.

For me it looked like the type of race to note very carefully, and Muirhead is definitely in my notebook in future.

There are dozens of rides given to horses like that every week. In fairness to Carberry, he got after the horse for the last furlong, but the winner had set sail for home.

Fair post .. I think he would have won though if he put him in the race (he was less than 2 lengths down at the finish.

I still fail to see how he doesn't get a ban - he simply wasn't trying to win the race. Racing really doesn't help itself sometimes. For example, I won't go near another race at Galway this week as I have little confidence on who is trying and who isn't, and there is nothing to change this as there is no punishment for rides such as Carberry's.

Most horses would be trying this week. It is the weaker meetings that you spot 4 dodgers a race.

I think you will find that English racecourses are the same.

I think there are two possible explanations of the ride:

1. Carberry didn't want to give Muirhead a hard time too early, especially for the reason Sheikh outlines above. He felt he had a good horse under him, and that he would be able to catch the tiring leaders, who weren't that good (as you outlined when tipping him at 6/1). He misjudged things slightly, and the horse stayed on by a diminishing two lengths, looking as if he might have gotten up if he had taken closer order (he was last 3f out I think).

2. Carberry was told by Meade that today was not the day, to give the horse a nice ride and get him enjoying himself. He ambled the horse out the back for 2m3f, and then realised that things were starting to look bad. So he started to get serious on his mount and (being clever) rode hard all the way to the line, thus ensuring that he couldn't be accused of not trying.

I weigh the above probabilities as 70% to 30%, especially given Meade is far from the worst at this sort of thing, and given Muirhead's unusual CV.

2. Carberry was told by Meade that today was not the day, to give the horse a nice ride and get him enjoying himself.

I find that hard to believe as Meade loves Galway. He would love a winner there. This horse has become disappointing and I can't see how he will win a handicap when others are improving around him. Maybe a conditions race somewhere but surely not the most obvious horse to be messing around with. There could be a simple reason, whether that is a misjudged ride, or they felt something was wrong the last day. This horse is to be avoided at all costs anyway. A dodgepot.

Back