Galway

As much as it's hard to ignore Willie's confidence, Timiyan looks absolutely laid out for this. I'm assuming Barry can't do the weight which is why Aiden rides. I suspect JP might get some of his significant outlay back this afternoon. I'm surprised he's still 8/1, as I thought he might go off half that price. I've had a decent each way bet.

attachment.php

Might have been me.

Attachments

• an_capall.jpg
    an_capall.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 95
Galway
views 1063
replies 26

Goodwood
views 231
replies 3

I just don't understand this. Galway is awful maybe 2 races excepted.

The success and popularity of the Galway Festival down the years stems from the rural economy as epitomised by the small square bale of hay, a magical time in rural Irish life, now alas no more.
"Old hay is old gold " so the saying goes, never more do than in the west of Ireland where the winters are longer and crueller than in the rest of the country.
The best hay is saved in June, while the bulk of hay is usually saved in July when the crops are bigger and the wetter ground has dried out.
Anyone listening to Robbie Power yesterday on RTE would have heard hum speak of summer Jumps racing "West of the Shannon " in Sligo, Galway, Roscommon, Kilbeggan etc and east of the river the rest of the year.
Cattle dealers who spend the Spring ferrying calves west from the South and East; the autumn ferrying cattle in the opposite direction spend june and July buying meadows of grass and making hay or buying hay already made to ferry west for winter fodder where it is needed.
This was historically a cash crop that ended up in bookies' satchels in Galway and Listowel, the so called harvest Festival.
Now read the blog for more and tell me how Goodwood, even on a fine day can compare !

Looking at the Mullins pair in the last I suppose dutching them currents 5/4 would be the wise thing to do
but Ger Lyons' Savannah Storm @ 20 on the machine could be worth an EW bet.

If he can bounce back after a poor run last time he'd be sure to go close in what looks an open contest

Having been very quiet of late, I have to put in a good word for Mine Now in the the 3.05 (Saturday). The form of his 4th behind Swamp Fox looks really good with the winner just being caught of a 14 pounds higher rating in the Galway Hurdle, and 4 out of the 5 horses who have run since having won on their next outing. Richie Deegan is good value for his seven pounds and gets on well with the horse, the ground will pose no problems and the trainer is in great form. Word has it that the horse has never been better but I couldn't possibly comment on that. I would encourage anyone to take the 20's with Paddy Power and Bet365 as that price will likely not last long in the morning.

Great blog, Eddie :)

And thanks for the word for Mine Now, Paul. But maybe I should wait till after the race before saying that :ninja:

Having been very quiet of late, I have to put in a good word for Mine Now in the the 3.05 (Saturday). The form of his 4th behind Swamp Fox looks really good with the winner just being caught of a 14 pounds higher rating in the Galway Hurdle, and 4 out of the 5 horses who have run since having won on their next outing. Richie Deegan is good value for his seven pounds and gets on well with the horse, the ground will pose no problems and the trainer is in great form. Word has it that the horse has never been better but I couldn't possibly comment on that. I would encourage anyone to take the 20's with Paddy Power and Bet365 as that price will likely not last long in the morning.

Aargh, a nose:mad: VWD & thanks, superb

Very unlucky - was convinced he'd got up.

1/3 in running -couldn't believe he didn't win it.

Had a look at 5:00 here at Galway, Lucky Pat is worth a bet at 12/1, cos he looks capable of winning another chase off this mark!

Last edited:
I'll follow you with that one. Was on Killiney Court but there's money on the exchanges for Lucky Pat. There have been a helluvalot of last minute steamers winning and placing at Galway this week.

My Irish form book expert cannot have Riven Light in the next -reckons he will have to be a Group horse from his draw-he has had a strong bet on Katiyman at 12/1.

I backed it Luke but had a saver on the winner and won 1.59p.................if ever a draw beat a horses it was WPM pulling Declan out a hat to ride it.......shocking ride...I'd have won on it

I'll follow you with that one. Was on Killiney Court but there's money on the exchanges for Lucky Pat. There have been a helluvalot of last minute steamers winning and placing at Galway this week.
Only second, just bumped into a better horse on the day. Sorry Moe.

Last edited:
Still a good ew price, Marb; just had second and third in the 5:30 Highland Fling and Bottle of Smoke both steamers but The Informant was a good winner earlier on [another last minute steamer]. Rather fancy going to Galway next year; seems like good fun.

Another Galway Festival over.
Crowd numbers were funny as Plate day was one of the quietest of the week with less than 18000 while Friday evening has developed a life of it's own.
Special mention to John Joe Walsh who managed to win with his only two runners, this after a rough winter and spring when a bug swept the yard and the loss of three promising horses in the past six weeks.
The O' Briens ( owner of both his winners) can surely pick them having bought both as foals; he also bought Rebel Fitz and Another Rebel as foals , racing the latter with Michael Winters after selling the former to him.
Bubbly Bellini with 18 wins from 132 starts is any owner's dream horse , they hope to reach 20 wins.
Aiden had a nice 2 year old winner Saturday and DK Weld today, two for the future.
WPM had a few nice bumper , maiden and handicap winners we shall hear more from and Swamp Fox possibly the unluckiest horse of the week.
TV coverage through the channels was fun to watch, good humoured with great banter from all sides.

Back