Giovanni D'oro

Looks in great shape, GS, and shining with good health. Please remind us when he comes out, so we can push him along for you! :D

Declared at Beverley on Thursday (although I see the stable is double handed in the race).
Highish draw in 10 which may not be as advantageous as it normally is judged by recents events there but best of luck anyway.
No doubt something will get a vets certificate as it's a 16 runner race.

Thanks guys, saved me a job Arkwright! He's been a bit weird in his work this last week, impressing at home on the turf but disappointing when he went for a couple of racecourse gallops on the all weather.

Not the strongest of races but the two runners who have had 3 runs which are making their handicap debuts are from "shrewd" yards.

We've booked Royston Ffrench to ride too.

Good luck with this venture but fear you're going to be struggling to get any improvement out of a horse one of our finest jockeys failed to extract anything out of in sellers. I just feel sorry for anyone who's invested in it on the premiss it has some potential. At least with it only costing 3 or 4 grand there's not much downside. :)

No need for that comment Dante.

All the best with the horse Gamla, Im sure you will have some fun with him.

Now I'll be the first to admit that when I saw that Gamla had taken on board Giovanni I had my reservations as I felt he had showed little and wouldn't be a great purchase.
But then I thought about it and he would have a similar profile to what Teddy had when Kirsty bought him.
Some of these horses can improve for the attentions of a smaller stable who can devote more time and get the best out of such animals.
We know Teddy is no star but he has given us a lot of fun and I'm sure when he gets his ground he'll be back on turf and winning (much as I love Wolves it'd be nice to go back on turf with him).
Hopefully Giovanni will do the same.

Having spoken to GS about his decision to buy the horse, he has done it for all the right reasons and has found by the sounds of it a nice trainer who I hope will bring out the best in Gio.

Racing is meant to be fun, and if the trainer is honest about the horse and his realistic chances , and the horse remains sound, then I think GS and co. will enjoy some great days out.

Best of luck to them all!! :clap:

Gave winner a start and tried his best to reel it in

What more can you ask from a horse - hope you collected a few notes e/w Gamla

On that form, there must be a race (or two) for him. A change of yard may have been all Gio needed. Let's hope he goes on from here and a nice 14/1 too.

Courtesy of The Racing Post
"Giovanni D’Oro shaped well on his first run for his new yard. He’s another relatively unexposed sort and the way he came home suggests he might get further."

Cracking run from Gio well done to Gamla, Mandy and the rest of the team :)

Amazing what happens when Jammie Spanner gets botted off eh?

Just got back from Beverley, he ran an absolute cracker, chuffed to bits with him. Mandy was a bit surprised but delighted. He got in a right state in the box again but Mandy took him to the course early this afternoon so they had time to wash him down and so he could settle in at the racecourse. He got a bit raucous when they were saddling him up but he behaved very well otherwise and moved beautifully to post.

In the early stages he looked uncomfortable but was soon traveling beautifully before Royston had to niggle him along at the bottom of the hill. I thought he'd give up there and finish midfield but once he hit the rising ground and the other horses came back to him he motored up the hill and the winner actually comes across him slightly, we wouldn't have won but may have finished closer. Royston gave him a cracking ride too and never gave up on him, plenty of jockeys would have done.

Royston was very impressed and thinks he'll get further, we always knew he wanted at least 7f to a mile anyway. He also said he'll definitely win for us.

We'll give him a month off as he's still weak and then look for a race over a similar trip or maybe a tad further and with cut in the ground. Mandy thinks if we're easy on him we'll have a serious horse next year. Royston also said he'll make an excellent 4 year old.

Thanks for all the kind messages, I'll try and post some photos but the light wasn't the best so they are a bit blurred as I'm always wary of using a flash around horses.

Back