Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

maybe it is a case that he was just very very ring rusty on a track sharper than ideal going the wrong way round remember again the not so great performances at the beginning of his chasing career were right handed.

still win at Cheltenham I reckon though bud

just the two of you with taste then :lol:

oh...and tolerance

mind you, I've been ignored in better places

it's quite funny to know that you can post what you want and hardly anyone reads it

I might start sending mesen emails :p

anyway...off to back Arkle for the GC

Only going by TV pictures but Denman didn't look great today. Looked a bit hairy and there wasn;t a hint of a rib on view.

Denman wasn't at all hairy - he looked well, although quite burly.

I tend to think along the same lines as Cantoris - he did look ring rusty and he should be better next time out. This will have been a fact finding exercise for connections to see if they had any horse left at all - Ruby wasn't hard on him and caved in quite quickly rather than trying to go with Madison De Berlais.

The ground, track and going right handed won't have suited Denman at all - he was jumping to the left throughout - and he can quite easily come back firing at Cheltenham I reckon.

As for comments about Nicholls being downbeat after the race saying it all - Nicholls always gets moody if any of his horses are beaten, not least odds-on favourites in big televised races!

didn't look like a horse that had had a lot of good done to it :blink:

looked like a sad shadow of his former self in the finishing straight...the word totally w*nk*red came to mind

just shows how we all see things differently

No... that's how I saw it too, Denman was a shadow of himself (in fact I said as much). He undoubtedly needed the race though and will be better for it. He still has a lot to do in the next month, then again this is the best staying chaser I have seen for a great number of years.

It's difficult to rate MdB.While this will probably prove his best performance to date, it probably wasn't as good as it looked.

I think MDB posted something like 162 today, I want to check the topspeed but I dont think he is better than that

I think MDB posted something like 162 today, I want to check the topspeed but I dont think he is better than that

do you bother with topspeed?

very poor speed ratings

if they come up with something like a 162 speed figure you can be sure it's more like 170

it's not hard to do your own you know...topspeed really isn't worth a light tbh

each to their own anyway

dont follow topspeed, but for this kind of race, gives an idea of the level

to be fair
I dont think we have seen a horse today to be placed in the Gold Cup

i'm not sure tbh Suny

i'm going to have a few bob on Madison seeing as I give him a speed figure on a par with what Denman and Kauto Star have ever put up..a bit of value at the moment..specially if he keeps on improving at this rate

you know what they say..keep an eye out for the improving horse peaking just at the right time

well thats what they used to say at school but I never listened

catch yer later

I can not see MDB beating a horse like NC, even NC underperforming his best by a stone, Exotic and Kauto also would beat MDB easily

As an aside, there is something fundamentally wrong with the picture the RP are displaying at the top of the story about Denman's run today - it shows the field on the all-weather section of the track coming out of the home straight! That's just plain wrong!!

I can not see MDB beating a horse like NC, even NC underperforming his best by a stone, Exotic and Kauto also would beat MDB easily

there is no evidence to suggest that any of those horses could have done what MDB did today

MDB has put the best figure up by any chaser this season today...you are really underestimating him in my opinion

I think NC is a very very overrated horse...in fact very

If you're referring to my comment about the picture, Isinglass - I did a double-take as initially I thought "they've published the wrong bloody picture!!"

As an aside, there is something fundamentally wrong with the picture the RP are displaying at the top of the story about Denman's run today - it shows the field on the all-weather section of the track coming out of the home straight! That's just plain wrong!!

maybe it's a picture from the future ;)

that would be your worst nightmare SL

I always get thrown when watching jump racing from Kempton with that happening...I find it really distracting when that big green bit comes in between the all weather :D

Back