Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

I agree - it seems an envious position to be in to own a horse as good as Denman or Kauto but being so much in the spotlight would be a total nightmare for most normal people. Be honest - how many of you who have owned a runner could hand on heart have said exactly when it was going to win? I always feel sick before any of ours run and we have had handicappers at best.

It's bad enough worrying about your horse yourself without having a load of strangers who all think they know more than you do - and feel you owe them some definite tip about when/why/how/where your horse is going to be at it's best.

I would still love to own something decent but I do sympathise with those who are responsible for one.

How long ago was that piece on Channel 4 filmed at Nicholls'? If it was within the last week, Denman looks AWFUL! Way too light in condition and a shadow of this time last year. I know PN says in the RP today, the horse has thrived this last week and they've clipped him again and he looks so much better - well he seriously needs to, because if that was my horse and he looked like that, he wouldn't be going next week.

I'm, no judge on horsey things like that Jinny (as I'm frequently at pains to point out) but even I thought he looked skeletal, and if I can see it, it must be bad, as I most certainly don't have a trained eye for these things nor any experience of having worked with them etc

She said at the end that next time they`d be looking more closely at the yard`s GC horses so I reckon it was awhile ago.

She said at the end that next time they`d be looking more closely at the yard`s GC horses so I reckon it was awhile ago.

I would imagine it was within the last couple of weeks...her line about looking at the Gold Cup horses closer next week does not mean anything. The horse looked a shadow of the bull he was last year.

I am a little amazed that anyone can fancy Denman on current evidence

1. we have a run which was miles below what was expected by the stable
2. we have a horse that looks nothing like the same horse last year

but people are expecting this animal to perform like the bull of a horse we looked at last year...why???

he may as well be two different horses...last years model and this

I reckon it could be on for Denman... I honestly can't really see who will beat him if he runs to 175 (which I think he probably will) - i.e. 10lb worse than last year.

If the winner runs to 175, Kauto would have to be all out to achieve that at Cheltenham and I'd be surprised if Madison could hit that mark. Neptune looks the most plausible threat as that mark may just be within his scope round here.

If none of them can hit 175 it will be a disappointing renewal. I reckon Denman is the likliest to hit that mark given everything that has happened. He seems to be returning to something like his old self on a daily basis and apparently now looks a different animal both in appearance and attitude to the one we saw last time.

Those that were writing off Kauto for the King George after his disappointing prep were wrong. I think those that are writing off Denman after his disappointing prep for this will also be wrong.

I just spoke to a contact who has been laying Denman since October when he saw his vets bill.

I just spoke to a contact who has been laying Denman since October when he saw his vets bill.

I wouldn't be surprised Jinny, looking at him on Channel4 the other day he certainly looked a pale shadow of the horse he was physically at least last year.

Bit too big for me now, think i'll treat my self to an each way on the great Denman, Nicholls said he's in fine shape and who am I to disagree with he's only going to get punted on the day IMO.

Back