Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

Yes. No mistakes and better horses behind him than at Kempton. I was wrong about him not being as good going left handed.

Best prices I can see for next year's Gold Cup:

Kauto Star 5/2
Deman 8/1
Cooldine 10/1
Imperial Commander 16/1
Big Bucks 20/1

A clash of Cooldine and Denman early on at Leopardstown will draw the crowds!!

Scintillating performance and a result as it should be with the big 3 filling the places. Superb training performance by Nicholls as ever and HUGE credit for getting Denman back to this standard from his Kempton run.

not read any of your views yet, just got in, watched the race live..one word for the winner..AWESOME

the best GC winner I've seen..probably the best we have seen since you know who

I will now read backwards and see if I got this as wrong as I did thinking MDB would win :p

after reading back..my visual judgement is still good thank goodness:lol:

it was just a perfect performance by KS...a computer simulation would have had more errrors

I would agree about the ground..it definately suited KS today...a totally different performance compared to last year

can't wait to watch the race again

Definitely the highest quality Gold Cup since Arkle V Mill House and simply a fantastic race. The most exciting I've ever seen, because all the big guns ran their races (Denman might find more next year) and Kauto Star just blew them away. The good staying handicappers, the likes of which were placing in Best Mate's Gold Cups, were ripped apart by the class horses.

I'd be inclined to rate the race via Exotic Dancer and it would give Kauto its highest ever rating.

However...

Look what last year's race did to Denman. If Kauto gets over this quicker than its stablemate he'll be pretty bombproof when 100%.

And Master Minded might be even better.

What did Clive Smith do in a previous life to deserve this level of luck?!

RPR have only rated ED as 170 today, I think it would be fair to the horse to give him at least a 174..which would make KS a 188..which to me would be a very fair mark for what we have witnessed..ED ran a great race today I thought

surely they have rated this race very conservatively

Kauto Star 5/2

Denman 8

Cooldine 10

Forpadydeplasterer 16

Big Buck's 20

Exotic Dancer 20

Imperial Commander 20

Schindlers Hunt 20

Barbers Shop 25

Neptune Collonges 25

Massini's Maguire 33

Wichita Lineman 33

Madison du Berlais 40

Albertas Run 50

Euronymous, Shadow Leader, Steve M, Halmahera... Your boy took a helluva beating!

:D

One great horse and one very good one. As was always suspected. </smug>

RPR have only rated ED as 170 today, I think it would be fair to the horse to give him at least a 174..which would make KS a 188..which to me would be a very fair mark for what we have witnessed..ED ran a great race today I thought

surely they have rated this race very conservatively

As opposed to last year`s ludicrous rating of the QM.

This is one of those rare experiences for horseracing fans that will stay long in the memory. I just felt priviledged to be there.

There is only one horse in the history of steeplechasing that I could envisage beating the Kauto Star that we saw today, and we all know who that is.....

This is one of those rare experiences for horseracing fans that will stay long in the memory. I just felt priviledged to be there.

There is only one horse in the history of steeplechasing that I could envisage beating the Kauto Star that we saw today, and we all know who that is.....

According to those that should know better, Arkle could have given Kauto Star two stone today and still beat him!:rolleyes:

I'm half curious to see what his TS is, as although I was thoroughly expecting it to have gone off the scale, it hasn't!!! In fact he's run a level to similar to what he's done before. It was fast and true, but it wasn't stand out on my first sweep at it. I can only assume that somewhere round they took a bit of a tug.

That's probaly over-stating it in truth. There's probably about half a dozen horses who can get past the 100 mark and Kauto's one of them. He's hit figures in the 105 territroy before, but I've never got him going much faster (i think - might need to check). As such my first instinct was that the race was run pretty much to suit. It was fast enough to take out some of the back numbers who might have presented a threat in a muddling affair, but it wasn't so punishing so as to bring stamina right to the front where he might otherwise have proven vulnerable.

The only horse that could have served this up would probably have been Denman and to do so under the circumstances would have been grossly irresponsible and borderline reckless had Thomas tried.

It was fast and it was true, but it was still within territory where Kauto had proven he could go before. On the figure I've got for him, I estimate he still had about 4L's left had he been required to. Much beyond that and he'd have been going into territroy where he's proven vulnerable in the past.

I'm slightly disappointed as I honestly thought he would have raised the bar on a tiem perspective, but I'm not sure he has

Spoilsport! Tell you what though, 3m around Leopardstown...

Anyway, I think Kauto had the perfect pace for him today. Not fast enough to induce any errors, but not slow enough that he couldn't put some proper distance between him and the rest. Ground was probably ideal too. Everything just clicked.

Back