Gold Cup 2023

I think that's right. Chances of staying certainly enhanced on Saturday but the price is tight. I'm on Stattler from way back and have added Protektorat who imo is just too big at 16s.

I’ve been thinking recently that Stattler is the sort of good, dependable sort that everyone thinks of as probably coming second but will surprise everybody. I must admit to not knowing much about him as he gets overshadowed by the high profile ones.

It's easy to make the Galvin comparison given they both won the NHC and share the same owner but I do feel he's like an upgraded version of that horse. If you re-watch last year's Gold Cup Galvin was upsides APT for much of the race but couldn't hang with the winner when Rachael started making her move. Stattler obviously could get outpaced in a similar way and I think there are reasons to believe this year's race will be run at a faster clip but Galvin was scratchy at a number of the fences down the back straight and Stattler imo is a much better jumper. I think his price is about right now but I would hope for 10s on the day and four places. I'd top up at those odds.

Back