Gold Cup (Ascot)

There is no issues, he's taking on a fancied inmate from HRAC's yard which means Ardross automatically has to pick holes in him that aren't there.

Last edited:
I agree with all that.

First time out is no problem, ground is no problem (see Coronation Cup last year, KG last year, Canadian International etc ), opposition is nothing to be worried about - he has the best form in the race and the trip shouldn't be a problem, seeing as he won over 2m last year, and brings the class of a Group 1 victory over 1m4 which should prove decisive.

He is an absolutely great bet at 6/1.

How is Age of Acquarius shorter?

Last edited:
The more I look at this race, the more I find it hard to comprehend why Ask isn't favourite. No-one is bigger Manifest fan than I, and his Yorkshire Cup win looked impressive, but it's hardly an easy race to stick a figure on, so it remains that he has a bit to prove. Age of Aquarius isn't exposed, particularly for a test of stamina, but his price no longer accounts for the improvement he has to find, and it was rather disappointing he was beaten in the Savile Beg.

Ask is a genuine Group 1 performer who has been running to the level required to win a Gold Cup consistently for the last 2 seasons. He has an excellent record fresh and is fully effective on a firmish surface (even if others have concerns on that regard). My initial reluctance with him was that the stable were slow to commit him to the race with the presumption he may have had a setback or been slow to come to hand, but the strength of him in the betting suggests he's doing everything right at home. The 11/2 might not be the best bet of the week, but it looks the best bet in the race.

Kasbah Bliss is trained by a great target trainer in Doumen.I will be plunging each way in an effort to recoup losses.

I look forward to your dosage figures for the race, Steve, if you're willing to put them up.:)

Ask has buckets of stamina. The more I look at the race the more I like Ask.

7-1-28-14-2 = 52, DI 0.73, CD = -0.06

A Dosage index of less than 1 and the negative centre of distribution (CD) marks him out for extended trips. The high points score means that the reading will be accurate. While the Dosage does not help us with ability as such, the high central (Classic) total suggests class allied to stamina and likely to hold what ability he does have at extended trips. We already know that he is highly consistent in reproducing low- to mid-120s ratings. He is likely to improve again for stepping up, which means he will be well up to Gold Cup winning standard. It will take a brilliant horse to beat him.

I've already taken 7/1 and a bit more at 11/2. I intend a bigger bet on course tomorrow.

Last edited:
I ahven't been following the market at all so am genuinely stunned at the prices you've quoted. I honestly thought Ask would be around 6/4.

The more I look at this race, the more I find it hard to comprehend why Ask isn't favourite. No-one is bigger Manifest fan than I, and his Yorkshire Cup win looked impressive, but it's hardly an easy race to stick a figure on, so it remains that he has a bit to prove. Age of Aquarius isn't exposed, particularly for a test of stamina, but his price no longer accounts for the improvement he has to find, and it was rather disappointing he was beaten in the Savile Beg.

Ask is a genuine Group 1 performer who has been running to the level required to win a Gold Cup consistently for the last 2 seasons. He has an excellent record fresh and is fully effective on a firmish surface (even if others have concerns on that regard). My initial reluctance with him was that the stable were slow to commit him to the race with the presumption he may have had a setback or been slow to come to hand, but the strength of him in the betting suggests he's doing everything right at home. The 11/2 might not be the best bet of the week, but it looks the best bet in the race.

I agree with all that but think 11/2 is right up there with the best bets this week.

Did Rite of Passage really not stay in the Sun Alliance? Sickening - my Chelt Festival banker - well a large loss anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think he had a choice the way the race panned out Powerscourt - but I am not sure it made any different. AOA has a horrible head carraige but in fairness to him he kept finding more and more.

What a great race.

I hope Rite of Passage never goes near a hurdle again.

Tom Segal picked him out as a Group 1 winner on the flat back in January.

Back