Grand National 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) caveat emptor and all that. I backed him at 120 on the machine the other day - cause I like the name.

Let's hope Aintree gets two weeks with minimal rain, Simmo. I think we might get a good run for the money. Backy gives every impression of being a never-say-die battler. The weight concession from those at the top of the weights has every chance of being a leveller in this case. If he gets a run and the requisite luck, he'll fight.

Age, weight, ability, guts. They should be paying us out now :-)

Chris Cook in the Racing Post.
It's 50 years since Red Rum's first National - but let's remember it as Crisp's day..

He wasn't even born!!!

I seem good at picking NRs.
Just been having a look and I like the look and the price of EVOS OSKAR 100/1 boosted to 117.27/1 hills. 5 places
Ran 4th to Kittys light in the Eider giving away 10lb and carried 12 stone.
Carries 10 st 1 lb here.

I've added THE BIG BREAKAWAY 33/1

If anyone has Members Club access to the Post, I would be very grateful if they could post the articles on Galvin/Delta Work and Our Power that are behind the paywall in today's 'News' section.

I appreciate this makes me something of a cheap-bum, and possibly even a hypocrite, but as these are two of my more positive traits, I therefore have little option but to roll with them. :thumbsup:

Not letting me post the image for some reason. PM me email address i'll send file over

Gordon Elliott already has three Grand Nationals to his name but has his sights firmly set on a fourth having reported his Cross Country Chase one-two Delta Work and Galvin to have worked well ahead of their bid for Aintree glory.

The pair fought out a thrilling finish at the Cheltenham Festival this month, where Delta Work prevailed by two and a half lengths under Keith Donoghue, and he is set to take on Galvin again in the Grand National on April 15. They look like spearheading a team of at least six for Elliott and are a best-priced 12-1 and 25-1 respectively.

Delta Work, who runs in Michael O'Leary's Gigginstown House Stud colours, is 1lb lower than when finishing a 22-length third to Noble Yeats in last year's contest and was impressive in seeing off his stablemate two weeks ago. He will be looking to emulate the mighty Tiger Roll by landing the Cross Country Chase en route to Aintree success.

"Both Delta Work and Galvin worked this morning and worked well, so we're looking forward to Aintree," Elliott said on Wednesday.

"Delta Work ran a great race in the National last year. He looked to have a chance going to the last and stayed at it well, but was just a little further back than ideal earlier in the race."

The Ronnie Bartlett-owned Galvin has shown his class on numerous occasions, not least when winning the Grade 1 Savills Chase at Leopardstown last season before finishing fourth in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. The nine-year-old has been allotted a weight of 11st 11lb for Aintree's showpiece and bounced back from an uncharacteristically below-par display in this season's Savills to push Delta Work all the way at Cheltenham on ground that was likely softer than ideal.

Delta Work: shouldn't be underestimated according to his trainer Gordon Elliott
Delta Work: finished third behind Noble Yeats in last year's Grand National at Aintree
Credit: Patrick McCann (racingpost.com/photos)
Elliott said of him: "We were delighted with Galvin at Cheltenham. He would have come on for the race hopefully and he is set for Aintree now."

Finding jockeys for so many National runners might be challenging at the best of times, but the Cullentra stable's regular riders haven't had an easy time of things lately, with Sam Ewing revealed to have broken his arm when unseated at Musselburgh last Friday.

Jack Kennedy remains sidelined with the broken leg he sustained in January, while Davy Russell, who came out of retirement to cover the void left by Kennedy, hasn't ridden since standing himself down on the last day of the Cheltenham Festival. It is unclear at this stage if Tiger Roll's Aintree partner will have one more stab at National success. Jordan Gainford has also not ridden since falling from Riviere D'Etel in the Mares' Chase on the same day at Cheltenham.

The likes of Denis O'Regan and Michael O'Sullivan have been deputising in the interim, but Elliott is hopeful Gainford will be back for Fairyhouse. A timeline on Kennedy's return remains uncertain, although Elliott is optimistic of an Aintree return if Fairyhouse comes too soon.

He said: "Sam Ewing is unfortunately out after breaking his arm. Jack, if he's not back for Fairyhouse, then hopefully we have him back for Aintree. We're hoping to have Jordan back for Fairyhouse."

Sam Ewing: a rider on a roll
Sam Ewing: the rider has broken his arm
Credit: Patrick McCann (racingpost.com/photos)
Along with Delta Work and Galvin, Fury Road, Escaria Ten and Coko Beach likely to line up at Aintree, with Battleoverdoyen also a possibility. The four-and-a-quarter-mile trip will be an unknown for Fury Road but he stayed on stoutly in the Ryanair Chase when he was beaten nearly ten lengths into sixth.

"Fury Road will go to Aintree," Elliott said. "If you actually look at him in the Ryanair, he looked like he was going to be tailed off at the top of the hill and flew home and wasn't actually beaten that far for a place in the end.

"Escaria Ten will likely go to the National too. He didn't seem to get home last year so we will drop him in and ride him a bit more patiently this year. Coko Beach will go to Aintree, I would say, and Battleoverdoyen could go to the National or the Topham. Dunboyne could be one for Aintree, too, but he's also in the Irish National so we'll see what the ground is like before deciding."

Elliott isn't short of ammunition for the €500,000 BoyleSports Irish Grand National at Fairyhouse on Easter Monday, a race he won in 2018 with General Principle and he has sent out the runner-up the last two years.

He said: "Chemical Energy will go to Fairyhouse. He ran very well when second in the National Hunt Chase and we were delighted with him. The Goffer, Ash Tree Meadow and Minella Crooner could all run. Punitive might not get in, so he could go Downpatrick for the Ulster National."

An excited Sam Thomas said it would be "incredible" for his small Welsh stable if Our Power could sneak into the final field for the £1 million Randox Grand National as he looks to end a turbulent season with the biggest high of his training career.

Thomas's 16 winners this season include four in six-figure Saturday handicaps, two coming courtesy of Our Power at Ascot and Kempton.

In November the trainer was involved in a serious helicopter crash with Our Power's part-owner Dai Walters, who is continuing to recover. Thomas walked away without serious injury and is now hoping Our Power can make the cut for what would be a poignant appearance at Aintree.

The 25-1 shot is number 41 on the Grand National list, meaning he would need just one runner to come out to guarantee a place in the iconic race on April 15.

The trainer said: "We need a bit of luck still, we're not there just yet. It'll be very exciting for the team and all the owners. Having a runner would be right up there with anything we've achieved as a team but we'll keep our feet on the ground, it's the Grand National and anything can happen.

"We need a hell of a lot of luck, but it's very exciting. We're a small team and so to have a runner in the biggest race in the world would be incredible. I'm just praying all goes well from now until then."

Sam Thomas
Sam Thomas: trainer of Our Power
Credit: Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
The eight-year-old, part-owned by Walters Plant Hire and the Potter Group, has already accumulated more than £140,000 from his two victories this season. He landed the London Gold Cup at Ascot in October and followed up with a neck success in the Coral Trophy at Kempton last month. That victory, after the National weights were published, means he would be 6lb well in.

Thomas, who failed to finish in his four rides in the Aintree showpiece, said: "He's been progressive and although he hasn't run much this season he's picked up two big handicaps already. The Grand National is very competitive but we wouldn't really want to swap him for anything else.

"I suppose it's an unknown over that trip, but he's the sort of horse who looks after himself all the time and preserves it. I'd like to think he'd jump round with no problems, the fences aren't what they used to be."

The trainer's Glamorgan stable will have another contender over the big fences when Al Dancer tackles the Topham the day before the National. The ten-year-old was victorious over the course and distance when last seen in the Grand Sefton in November.

Thomas added: "Al Dancer got a bit sick along with the rest of them and as a result hasn't had a run [since the Topham]. I suppose that could work out in our favour really and I'm happy with how he is at home, he's in great form. We've still got a few weeks to go, but I'd like to think he'd go there with a great chance."

Grey Diamond is being lined up for the Red Rum Handicap Chase at Aintree on April 13, while Good Risk At All could run in the 2m4f handicap hurdle and Alfie's Princess in the Grade 2 mares' bumper on the same day as the Topham.

I know people on here don't like that I go mob-handed into big races but it's an approach that serves me well. Each to their own, I reckon.

So with that in mind, this is my current ante-post commitment to the National:

[TABLE="width: 616"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Date
[/TD]
[TD]W/E
[/TD]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]Price*
[/TD]
[TD]Current
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10/4/22
[/TD]
[TD]w
[/TD]
[TD]Noble Yeats
[/TD]
[TD]20/1
[/TD]
[TD]8/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14/01
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Iwilldoit
[/TD]
[TD]50/1
[/TD]
[TD]NR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Mister Coffey
[/TD]
[TD]66/1
[/TD]
[TD]66/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]w
[/TD]
[TD]”
[/TD]
[TD]130
[/TD]
[TD]97
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Fortescue
[/TD]
[TD]66/1
[/TD]
[TD]100/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Velvet Elvis
[/TD]
[TD]50/1 N
[/TD]
[TD]40/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]24/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Ga Law
[/TD]
[TD]50/1
[/TD]
[TD]NR C
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]25/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]HGL
[/TD]
[TD]40/1 N
[/TD]
[TD]NR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]25/02
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Our Power
[/TD]
[TD]40/1
[/TD]
[TD]25/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]03/03
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Frontal Assault
[/TD]
[TD]50/1N
[/TD]
[TD]NR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]04/03
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Le Milos
[/TD]
[TD]33/1
[/TD]
[TD]20/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15/03
[/TD]
[TD]ew
[/TD]
[TD]Galvin
[/TD]
[TD]33/1
[/TD]
[TD]25/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]26/03
[/TD]
[TD]w
[/TD]
[TD]Corach Rambler
[/TD]
[TD]7/1 N
[/TD]
[TD]7/1
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

*N – NRNB
*C – cashed out

And still not the winner! :whistle:

Apparently a plot has just been uncovered that Animal Rebellion were going to try to stage a massive protest during the meeting with 120 members planning invade the course and glue themselves together to disrupt the race. As they are an offshoot of Extinction Rebellion that seems to have been getting more and more prominent recently, let’s hope Aintree are taking this seriously. Further protests were being planned at other big race meetings such as Royal Ascot.

Apparently a plot has just been uncovered that Animal Rebellion were going to try to stage a massive protest during the meeting with 120 members planning invade the course and glue themselves together to disrupt the race. As they are an offshoot of Extinction Rebellion that seems to have been getting more and more prominent recently, let’s hope Aintree are taking this seriously. Further protests were being planned at other big race meetings such as Royal Ascot.

Glue themselves together with animal glue...

Willie Mullins statement...
"The Aintree squad is starting to come together and Gaillard du Mesnil and Carefully Selected are set to form part of our Randox Grand National team.

The former has come out of Cheltenham very well. I’m very happy with him and Aintree would look a big possibility now. He has a nice weight, will handle the distance and the ground won’t be a problem. It will fit in nicely with our plans".

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing...ent-winners-and-early-aintree-thoughts/208423

Last edited:
I'd love to see Sam Thomas win it with Our Power.

He doesn't have many good horses but when one of his has an obvious chance and goes off favourite you could count how many lose on one hand.

No doubt in my mind if he turns up he'll be 110% ready to rumble and with 10 stone on his back will take some beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back