Grand National

On DG's word, Gone a small sniff on Chance Du Roy
Definetly the last one though.

I'm not expecting to find the winner of the big one today. It is by far the tightest renewal I've ever rated. I could back 20 and not be confident of finding the winner.

But it's a huge day for the family. We're all congregating at the brother's for a big do and rip the pish out of each other win or lose. :lol:

I agree with this. When the Grand National was labelled a lottery by many, because of the falls, the drama, the thrill of it, it never was a lottery. Half the field could be discounted. What has been done to the National is to turn it into a lottery, while increasing the quality of the horse has to be seen as a success. There does appear to be fewer horses this year who are using the Grand National as the last chance saloon for a horse handicapped to the hilt.

Pineau de Re will win though. That or The Rainbow Hunter.

What has been done to the National is to turn it into a lottery

I'm not sure I'd agree with that bit.

It was a bit of a lottery way back in the day when people ran horses in it for fun although I imagine even back then one or two were plotted up for it.

With the way the handicapping has gone and the huge prize on offer, it isn't so much of a lottery as genuinely ultra-competitive!

I'm not sure I'd agree with that bit.

It was a bit of a lottery way back in the day when people ran horses in it for fun although I imagine even back then one or two were plotted up for it.

With the way the handicapping has gone and the huge prize on offer, it isn't so much of a lottery as genuinely ultra-competitive!

Well, by having it as the longest race in the calendar, over obstacles that horses arent used to dealing with, on ground that is changing, it is to me as close as a lottery as a race can be framed. Its not the best handicapped horse that will win this, its the one who will take to the race.

I'm adding Battle Group as a possible winner.

Unsure as to why, but the race seems far less predictable than it was not so long ago. Average sp of winners for the past 5 years is 46/1, and a quick check indicates that's the worst since the Foinavon period.
Used to do OK in the race, but this renewal looks another accident just waiting to happen and, despite all the brouhaha about bet365's munificence, they'll likely be far the biggest winners on the day.

Just looking at the list of winners - the first National I remember properly was Seagram's, I was 1/1 for selecting the winner, followed up the next year with Party Politics, a short break before my next winner with Rough Quest (got my first ever parking ticket putting a bet on Rough Quest at Corals that day...) and followed up with Lord Gyllene & Earth Summit then another couple of years break until I found Red Marauder in 2001, which, it turns out was the last time I celebrated the winner!

Doesn't bode well for anyone else who has supported Long Run, Alvarado, Big Shu, Chance Du Roy and Walkon, apologies in advance! I may add a couple more at big prices now I've realised just how bad my recent record is, it ends today!

Bit of money coming for Double Seven this morning.....that Go Off Fave bet might still be live. I am on at a miserly 4/1.
You nutter:D

Hope it runs okay for you, was considering the yoke myself, but once you start backing 3,4,5,6, then seven horses, its not a good look.

Last edited:
Just emptied my pockets in a Boyles shop. Chepstow 2.20 - Morning Reggie at 13/2 1/5 1,2,3 (1.68 to place) with Rocky Creek 18/1 and Burton Port 20/1

VALUE!!!!

Only firm still betting on the Fav market has them 11/10 each of 2, good luck Bar and Grasshopper !

Back