Grand National

Balthazar King carried top weight (11.12) in the X country, settled well given a clever ride, and won over 32 fences and 3m 7f. He's won 4/4 this season. He will carry 10.13 in the National. Bar a major change in the weather he will get his preferred ground at Aintree over 4m3.5f. His credentials at long distance stand comparison with the best this year. At prices as high as 33/1 I feel he has an outstanding chance. Johnson has worked out how to get the best from him and one can forget last year. I took 25/1 NRNB as soon as that option became available since if he has not fully recovered they might keep him back for the Whibread/Betfred. At 10 he's matured!

Last edited:
The form of these veteran's chases does seem a bit suspect, e.g. Time for Rupert's no show in the Festival handicap after what looked a decent run behind Tranquil sea. For that reason I'll steer clear of Burton Port much as I'd love to see him back to top form.
As for Balthazar I think his best chance in this race may have gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very rare contribution, and I have no way of knowing what the plans are, but if Triolo de Lene is a fancy, how about Last Time Dalbain at a big price?

Only raced once at 3 miles (a definite negative), in the 28 runner Paddy Power. Came third, but noted as running on and never nearer than at the finish. Hardly comments that would suggest he was emptying. After that run he's been dropped back in trip and given a few suspicious spins over hurdles

Raced over the National fences in the Topham and came 7.5L's third to Triolo de Lene giving 5Ibs, reopposes on very favourable terms, but then a lot of horses who contested that Topham would

Last time I looked he needed 5 to come out, but they aren't difficult to identify.

Looks like getting in at about 35-34 on the list

I think Last Time d'Albain is more likely to run in the Topham. Betfair price suggests NR in the Nash

Balthazar King carried top weight (11.12) in the X country, settled well given a clever ride, and won over 32 fences and 3m 7f. He's won 4/4 this season. He will carry 10.13 in the National. Bar a major change in the weather he will get his preferred ground at Aintree over 4m3.5f. His credentials at long distance stand comparison with the best this year. At prices as high as 33/1 I feel he has an outstanding chance. Johnson has worked out how to get the best from him and one can forget last year. I took 25/1 NRNB as soon as that option became available since if he has not fully recovered they might keep him back for the Whibread/Betfred. At 10 he's matured!

BK might be one of those winners you look back upon and say 'how did I miss it?'

I just wonder if the pace in these X-country races is as strong as in the proper big handicaps. He's been ridden from the front in his wins this year but he was also ridden prominently last year and it appeared to take its toll on him. I also wonder if the twisting and turning nature of the x-c courses allows horses to take breathers as they go. They don't get that chance in the National.

Last edited:
I've been very pro BK running just in case he were to win then I can get him to parade at our point to point in May to draw the crowds in! I'm hoping he's got the perfect profile this year. Loved the owner's interviews last w/e - could be interesting were he to win!

I think the horse is in great form as are all Hobbs' horses - don't forget they have had a huge problem with a virus the past 2 seasons and they seem to be free of it now. My biggest worry is that RJ may let him bowl along too quick (sometimes I think his speedometer is stuck a bit high) and burn him out. But in the XC he was settled just in behind the leaders and more relaxed.

I'm at the stage where ante-post bets no longer appeal.

Anything at a sexy price now will probably be at least as sexy next Saturday morning once they start going 6 places etc.

The only thing we can be sure of is that the prices of the first ten in the market will shorten relentlessly in the half-hour leading up to the off.

Backed Home Farm for this at a big prize. Went off fav for the Irish National if im not mistaken last year?

Nash course doesn't take much jumping these days though, Ardoss. They're like fixed-brush hurdles the fences these days.

Try telling that to those connected to Joncol, Big Fella Thanks, Chicago Grey, On His Own, The Rainbow Hunter, etc, etc who found them too much last year.

We all know they're not what they used to be - more's the pity in my opinion - but they still take some jumping.

I really like night in Milan good jumper and loves good ground, I fear he won't get in though

To be honest, that would have been my interpretation of the exchanges too.

People looking at the discrepancy in the exchange and office price need to remember that the GN is priced at NRNB and thus a little bit shorter. In this case LTd'A, was 66/1 and clipped to 50 when NRNB was introduced. The Topham wasn't NRNB, so you wouldn't be comparing like with like. Therefore, 66 would be his market price which would be in line with the 85 on the machine, since outsiders are always given more latitude. 19pts bigger on that kind of price isn't an indication of a NR in my experience. He's only 22% bigger without the concession

By contrast his Topham price was between 14-16's and 31 on the machine. That's about 50% bigger, and led me to think that GN was the more likely target.

Well lets be honest, a Topham price is always going to be shorter than a GN price for obvious reasons, so simply looking at the exchanges and saying the shortest price is an indication, is, well, no indication. I tend to think its the differential between the high street and the BF price that gives us a hint

Back to the horse though.

He's going to get in, as the likes of Bog Warrior, Our Father, Roi du Mee, Vesper Bell, and Twirling Magnet don't look like running, and off 10.2 he's going to do so off a light weight

Now the stats guys will tell you that you can't win a National without a win at 3 miles. That seems fair enough, but this horse has only raced the distance once, and came a good 3rd in Leopardstown's 28 runner handicap chase over Xmas won by Colbert Station (who he is weighted to reverse with on that showing, and who is about twice the price of)

More importantly though he was noted as finishing full of running with the clear suggestion he could have carried on. Since that run, he's been conspicuously cut back in trip, and sent on various hurdles assignments. Clear evidence that Cussack is protecting a mark, albeit he did run over the National fences in last years Topham, and again came a good third under the circumstances to Triolo d'Lene. After the Hennessy, Gerraghty remarked how well handicapped the winner was and described as something of his secret weapon which was now exposed a bit for the GN. Well imagine how ridiculously well he must have been treated on his Topham win then, yet Last Time D'Albain got within 7.5L's giving him 5Ibs

Now I've got no idea if the horse will last the trip, you always need to cut some slack to an outsider, as there is a reason why he's the price he is, but he looks one of the more plausible long shots to me at this stage off what looks like a protected mark and a feather weight.

What if he is an out and out stayer? There's just a hint on the single run at Leopardstown that he might be, but that's all it is, a hint. It could equally be that he's yet another turkey

Last edited:
Hunt Ball is apparently going to run - American owners for you . When did a 2m 4f chaser last do well in the National - The Tsarevich ? Not the race for non-stayers anymore .

Time for JP to get his horse rescue cheque book out !

i can see the l'ast time dalbain argument, he is worth at least a small e/w interest. another who could be is minella for value - if he gets in. he made hey last summer in decent enough contests and ran ok on his debut for john butler. he jumps really well and has won over 3m and loves decent ground. he is also progeny of old vic who's offspring have a tremendous record in this race from not many runners. not ideal being 1lb out the weights tho

Hunt Ball is apparently going to run - American owners for you . When did a 2m 4f chaser last do well in the National - The Tsarevich ? Not the race for non-stayers anymore .

Indeed, but Red Marauder was much more recent than The Tsarevich and he won (but only because he coped better with the bottomless ground than the only other finisher!)

This year's race is an absolute belter. I'm struggling to get my list of possibles below 20!

I hope the COC doesn't spoil it by over-watering.

Last edited:
Back