Greatest Threat

For some reason SL, I have some stamina doubts about him. I cant really put my finger on it, but I dont think he is certain to appreciate stepping up in trip for the Gold Cup.

Fair enough Garney. It's not a great worry I have though - and that's not just to do with his Stayers' win. He's a big powerful horse who still has plenty of improvement in him & an engine - he races like an out and out stayer [albeit one with a heck of a lot of class & a turn of foot to boot] to me.

I have always considered him a smallish ball of muscle rather than a big strapping powerful horse, but suppose I havent seen him in the flesh. I just get the impression that he was at the end of his tether in the stayers. I dont know. I could be very wrong on this.

Yes, I would like my last remark to be stricken from the record. I have updated my files accordingly, and not make the same mistake again. He is neither small nor stocky, and I am trying to remember why I thought that in the first place.

You see..all this forum was missing was National Hunt...its not even September and an innocuous starting question has prompted this.

Bring it on!

This forum does seem busier than most right now and it's still only September! This certainly bodes well for the next couple of months when the real horseracing "discussions" commence.

Shads, I thought I had already posted this somewhere..........I was speaking to Kingy's assistant, Noel Williams, at Chepstow last week and the conversation got round to My Way and I suggested that he had chances in the Gold Cup, but I was told that the target is the King George and depending on what happens there, they will look at the options.

Can't say I've been stalking you lately Colin so even if you did post it somewhere I hadn't seen it!! Not everyone who posts in these places are deranged stalkers, only the majority!!

After Cheltenham Noel was talking in terms of the Gold Cup - but again, stating that they'll go King George then see where that takes them is the sensible option and is a far c ry [desperate attempt to get rid of that sodding emoticon through mis-spelling!!] from stating the Ryanair is the target; something that I do not believe is the case, mainly as it is a no-brainer to state such a thing at this stage - especially when the horse is a grade one winner at 3m over timber and shapes like a stayer!

Originally posted by Garney@Sep 20 2007, 01:24 PM
All right lads. There is a clear need for a Grade 1 2m4f chase. It used to be that Aintree was the only one on the calendar post christmas. The Comet Chase/Ascot Chase was re-invented and upgradeda few years ago, and now there is one at the festival. Well and good. The 2m4f horses deserve it.
I think I read in C&H that the Ascot Chase is being run over 3m1f from next season.

Originally posted by Irish Stamp@Sep 20 2007, 07:55 PM
Cotswold, Aon, Gold Cup, Martell, Hennessy, Heineken - we have 3m+ Chases coming out our ears after mid-January
I beg your pardon - just checked the Monet's Garden entry, and the race will be run over an extended 2m5f, and not 3m1f........apologies for the confusion.

Originally posted by Grasshopper+Sep 20 2007, 08:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grasshopper @ Sep 20 2007, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gareth Flynn@Sep 20 2007, 03:10 PM
*checks date for start of Dubai Carnival*
* finds it cancelled due to lack of interest *

:ph34r:

:P [/b][/quote]
Well said! :clap:

On the contrary, it goes from strength to strength and they don't need to throw arbitrary obstructions in the way to make it more interesting :P :D

At least the Dubai Carnival offers decent prize money - in many races down to 6th!
I look forward to it: it's interesting seeing how the horses from the Southern hemisphere go, it has glamour, and enough home runners to give us all some interest - and it's a change from what's going on here mid winter

I'd rathe watch a top chase anyday tho, of course :D

Originally posted by Headstrong@Sep 20 2007, 10:05 PM
At least the Dubai Carnival offers decent prize money......
So does Gala Bingo, but I wouldn't want to watch that either............

At least the Dubai Carnival offers decent prize money - in many races down to 6th!

And travel expenses paid for foreign horses if they run twice, I think. Good ol' benevolent dictatorships, eh? :D

Originally posted by Grasshopper+Sep 20 2007, 10:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grasshopper @ Sep 20 2007, 10:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@Sep 20 2007, 10:05 PM
At least the Dubai Carnival offers decent prize money......
So does Gala Bingo, but I wouldn't want to watch that either............ [/b][/quote]
Huh? I wasn't aware Gala had Grade 1 International bingo games :what:

Back