Happy christmas, one and all!!

There was a bottle of gin, but I haven't opened that yet! However, here's a nice big glass of chilly Pinot Grigio for you, dear...

Merry Christmas and lets hope for a happy and prosperous New Year for all.

PS Remember to raise a glass tomorrow for those that cannot be with their families this Christmas.

A very merry Christmas to all, in what seems much poorer times than I have known for many, many years. May 2011 favour the many rather than the few!

MR2

PS (Euromillions has a special draw this evening .... god, how did we get this state of affairs?)

Very best of seasons greetings to all on Talking Horses. A special thanks to the administrators for all the work they do - all contributors for expressing their valued opinions which makes this forum the daily must read - to those who make us laugh ( ye know who you are) and a meritorious mention of honour to those who put their necks, opinions and considered wisdom on the line on the Today's Fancy thread - many winners spread around the forum! Here's to a bountiful and healthy 2011!!

Happy Christmas to all. Let there be no tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes this time round, and may 2011 be a year to remember for all the right reasons.

It's just Christmas Day, for those of you unable to resist a late-night raid on the fridge and a sneaky peek at 'just one' prezzie under the treet!

It's just Christmas Day, for those of you unable to resist a late-night raid on the fridge and a sneaky peek at 'just one' prezzie under the treet!

Thought you'd already opened all yours, Kri! :D

Dougal has found his catnip mouse and Tilly has found a chocolate tree decoration, so they are happy kitties. Redhead II has just turned ahem years old and is consoling herself with Scotch. I've told her that if she drinks enough she should pickle herself and thus prevent any further ageing. She said rude things!

Oh, yes, all opened and the wrapping paper already recycled, Redhead! But there are folks who are much more controlled about this sort of thing than me. I lurrrve to find out what's in the box! The bath bombs were re-wrapped just in time to give to someone who still has a bath, so there's sometimes a bonus reason to open early! I've made vast inroads into the Thornton's choccies, too - as the New Year involves extreme dieting, they have to find a good home fast!

Dougie's sounding a lot perkier, so a very happy Catmas to him and all the family.

Thanks for that Kri - he is scuffling around under a pile of wrapping paper. I thought that I would leave it down for him to play in, poor little bald fella. Still, he has grown a bit of fur around the more resistant parts, one good thing the cold snap has done.

Amazing isn't it that an impending diet just makes us eat more, to get rid of "tempations"?

All the mince pies have gone, but there is still a bit of trifle left and a lot of Christmas pudding (I might put most of that out for the birds, though). I am craving soup and all things savoury, now.

Opened this year's pickled onions yesterday - WOW!! Seriously hot and spicy, just how I like them.

The cats are stuffed with turkey, cream and custard. Think we might be eating Tilly next year.

Last edited:
Your birdies will be very grateful for the Christmas pud, and if you have a garden which is visited by other wild life, even the trifle will be enjoyed by foxes, stoats, etc.!

I'm eyeing up the seriously draconian weight loss, required for me to revisit 'normal size' clothes rails, with a lot of trepidation. I haven't seriously gone for it since 1987, when I kick-started at a fat farm with 12lbs off in a week, following up with an all-marching (only 2-3 miles a night) and all-fasting month. I'm inclined to think that of 40 days in the wilderness, the dear Lord was probably off His head, hallucinating by then! I didn't eat any 'food' - water, fruit and veg juices, some light soup (no, no handfuls of croutons!), and that was it. Lost a further 28 lbs, making a total loss of 40 lbs in around 5-6 weeks. But... that was long ago (and far away - the sweating being induced by Saudi night-time temps of c. 80 Fahrenheit), and I'm not sure if the aged bod's quite up to such resolution. The very brief downside was a banging headache by the third and fourth days and a furry mouth, followed by the most terrific surge in energies that meant I cracked on with all sorts of projects previously lying dormant - when you're not thinking up food lists, shopping, preparing, cooking, washing-up, etc. there's an awful lot of time to do other stuff!

I'm going to try to dump around 6 stone by the end of the year - if I do that, I really will feel I've accomplished something useful for myself - not to mention the sofa and bedsprings!

Last edited:
If you are thinking of using meal replacements, I can highly recommend Complan. Each sachet has 1/3 of your daily mineral/vitamin and it also tastes nice because they don't use those bloody awful sweeteners - which apparently can cause serious mood swings and depression.

Like yourself, I have a serious amount of weight to shed, having had to spend most of last year sitting around in case my head exploded (seriously high blood pressure due to stress and overwork).

That's under control now, so the weight gain caused by stress-eating and lack of exercise can now be addressed. I'm not much of a chocolate lover, so that's no hardship, but I just have to get back into the swing of lots of fruit and veg (which means finding time to cook again).

The way I feel at present, I might just start tomorrow and finish the turkey with some green beans and cauliflower. (I shall have to resist the temptation to turn the cauli into cream of cauliflower soup, though.)

Good luck with your diet, Kri. We could always PM each other for encouragement.

I found myself being able to wear clothes that I hadn't fitted for ages before I attacked the Christmas chocolates and that was just due to my avoidance of bread for several months. I just have to avoid sweet things completely; I don't miss them at all when they're not in the house. Even Dr John Briffa [who used to write in the Observer] admits that he'd eat junk food if he kept it in the house. Can't wait to get back to normality, even if it means being back at work. I got caught out a few years ago when I didn't realise that reaching a certain age did dodgy things to your metabolism.

Back