Harbinger injured ...

If true then thats a great shame but he couldn't be with a better man to nurse him back - I do hope it's not career ending as I've quite taken to him.

From the Racing Post:
HARBINGER, the record-breaking winner of the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot last month, suffered a career-threatening injury on Newmarket's gallops on Saturday, sources at owners Highclere Thoroughbred Racing have confirmed.

Trained by Sir Michael Stoute, Harbinger had been working over 7f on the Limekilns gallops with stablemate Ask when getting injured.
Rumours surrounding the possible absence of Harbinger saw his price drift out to 4.5 from 2.2 on Betfair for his next target, the Juddmonte International, before the news was confirmed.
The four-year-old, who landed the King George by 11 lengths in record time last month having also landed the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot, had been due to run at York before a shot at the Arc in October, for which he had been favourite.

What a terrible shame

Someone has hoovered up all the way to 150 on betfair for the Arc. I'd love it to not be as serious as first thought and for him to turn up. Hope he returns at some point.

It would be a terrible shame if he doesn't get to run again as he will not get to prove again how good a horse he is. There will always be those who say it was a freak result at Ascot, similar to Hawk Wing in the Lockinge. Also, I'd like to see the syndicate, as well as us, enjoy their horse for a little longer but I guess if he is retired now, they had some great days out with him.

What a shame. Unless you have had a life changing chunk on something in the Arc this is bad news. With Dunboyne Express out too this is more like a start of the jump season thread.

He has a condular fracture which means he will be out for the rest of the year at least. I think they'll probably retire him - he doesn't need to do anything else re stud value (hes won his Group 1 now) and there's always the danger of further injury.

yes
what a shame

horses doing that kind of performance like
Royal Anthem in the Juddmonte
Overdose in Italy
Hawk Wing in the Lockinge

are not the same afterwards

Harbinger at Ascot looked a monster.

As Big Mac would say "MORDIN KNEW"

HARBINGER NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE HYPE

I've been watching the British racing scene for a long time now. But the extraordinary way horses get heralded as all time greats on the basis of a single questionable performance never ceases to amaze me. Despite having seen so many of the horses they've touted flounder when attempting to justify the hype British racing hacks seem prepared to don their rose tinted spectacles en masse at least once a season.

The latest horse to receive the accolades is HARBINGER (42) because he's just romped the King George by eleven lengths in course record time from two Derby winners.

According to Timeform Harbinger is now the equal of Ribot.

Let's take a look at that:

Ribot won all sixteen of his lifetime starts including two Arcs, a King George and three other events that were awarded Group 1 status when the pattern was introduced. He won at the top level in all three seasons that he raced.

Harbinger has just become the first older horse since the pattern was established to win the King George without previously placing in a Group 1. He has been beaten three times below that class in a career spanning just fifteen months.

In winning the King George Harbinger beat a runner up that didn't seem to get the distance after chasing the strong early pace, a third placed horse that's now seven and has won just one of its last 21 starts, a fourth placed horse that clearly ran below form, a fifth placed horse that pulled too hard due to seeing too much daylight and his own pacemaker who ran a suspiciously close sixth seeing he clearly doesn't stay the distance.

It's also worth noting that Harbinger's so-called course record was achieved around a new course that has only been used just 46 times for 12 furlong races when the word 'soft' hasn't appeared in the official going description. He ran a time just half a second faster than three year old handicappers achieved when establishing the previous course record.

How anyone can justify saying that single performance merits rating Harbinger alongside Ribot and ahead of such legendary stars as Mill Reef and Nijinsky is beyond me. I rate him just an average Group 1 winner that was made to look good due to his main rivals running below their best in a tiny field.

And let's not forget that Harbinger has a history of tying up. His form fell apart after July last year in the only two subsequent starts he managed. So the chances of him even making it to the Arc look pretty darned slim. The idea of him being as short as even money for the race is just plain daft.

Given the press coverage and that enormous Timeform rating it's going to take a lot of courage on the part of Harbinger's owners to run him again. It will surely be awfully tempting to exploit the situation and retire him right now rather than risk denting his currently huge stud value with another loss.

As I would say, Mordin knew f all.

He has the wrong Timeform rating.

Yes, there is plenty of reference to the first provisional rating if you Google on the internet, but a thorough journalist should check his facts, and Mordin is not a thorough journalist.

I interpret from your post that you are suggesting that Mordin is capable of seeing into the future and anticipating a totally unpredictable injury before it happens or that the injury is a fake. Could you clarify?

one thing Mordin is right about - H has been over rated - and he now will stay so

might as well just accept he's now one of the all time greats :blink:

How depressing is this news? Just drives home how very hard and rare it is to get a real champion, or even a horse who cam win, and stay sound for a few years.

Hard enough to get the talent, the temperament, the right trainer, jockey etc etc, but then no one can know what injury lies just around the corner. :(

How anyone can justify saying that single performance merits rating Harbinger alongside Ribot and ahead of such legendary stars as Mill Reef and Nijinsky is beyond me. I rate him just an average Group 1 winner that was made to look good due to his main rivals running below their best in a tiny field.

Lazy, inaccurate and shite. Mordin should be writing for the Daily Star.

Lazy, inaccurate and shite. Mordin should be writing for the Daily Star.

I agree with him - but am surprised he didn't analyse it more

his assertion that CB didn't stay could well be the reason CB was slowing so much..I think its a valid assumption when you compare last years finishing time with this year - CB would clearly have laboured in the previous year's KG

its alright calling him lazy - but I don't see many arguments on here backed up by any analysis that proves the rating is correct

I would say that there are more arguments that say he isn't a 140 than say he is

I'm happy if people belive they have seen a similar horse to Mill Reef or Brigadier G..I just don't buy the big rating mesen and never will..and i have explained in a lot of detail why that is..Mordin has let himself down a bit with that tbh.

its just a contrary argument he has made with no meat on the bone

he says they went a fast pace..but last year the leaders went faster and the winner ..who was way back in that race ..actually ran as fast as CB did to 3 out...so there is no way that CB burst himself.

its alright calling him lazy - but I don't see many arguments on here backed up by any analysis that proves the rating is correct

I would say that there are more arguments that say he isn't a 140 than say he is

Forget the 140, Mordin is of the opinion the horse was only an "average Group 1 winner" so something in the mid 120s. Mordin is clueless, a complete time wanker. This isn't America.

He's making the fair point that breaking a course record at a new track isn't all that.

He was spot on about the Arc price too, Evens was absurd.

Forget the 140, Mordin is of the opinion the horse was only an "average Group 1 winner" so something in the mid 120s. Mordin is clueless, a complete time wanker. This isn't America.

a particularly ill informed comment re time wanker

dismissing people's views because they tackle the game from an angle you can't be arsed with is very narrow minded imo.

dismissing people's views because they tackle the game from an angle you can't be arsed with is very narrow minded imo.

I'm dismissing them because it's all these people go on about. Clock this clock that. Mordin needs his figures and his theories and I think a lot of the time he use them as crutches. Judgement of form, discipline and that bit of instinct are far more important than the clock. There is no angle there for me, time is time - and there are plenty of people telling it. It's just another crowd to go against.

Bottom line is people who think this horse is 120s low 130s because of the clock ought to get the form book out and get a grip.

Last edited:
Great post!

There are usually 2 extremes with times - those who rely on them too much and those who dismiss them too easily - the truth is they are just one of many things which can help you to understand form, and sometimes they are useful, sometimes useless.

I know only one thing, before I used times, I lost at punting. Since I have used them, I win at punting. That's enough for me.

It's a shame Warbler isn't around these parts anymore, sure he'd have some valuable input on this debate.

But equally basing your opinions solely on time has mislead you in the past too. I have no problem with using times as one aspect to judge a race. But sometimes I think,like any other tool, they can be over relied on with other factors ignored.

Back