Harbinger injured ...

Couldn't care how much I'm mislead as long as I'm in the black at the end of each year with a healthy ROI %.

Which is great - and reading back my remark kind of sounded smart arse which was not my intent. I just mean that it is a system that does have it's flaws too - which is something that time users often fail to take into consideration or seem not to anyway.

Which is great - and reading back my remark kind of sounded smart arse which was not my intent. I just mean that it is a system that does have it's flaws too - which is something that time users often fail to take into consideration or seem not to anyway.

No, I completely agree. I use time as the fundamental tool in analysing races but I certainly don't ignore other factors that can come into play.

the thread analysing the KG showed how useful sectionals can be - they showed that CB would have been beaten a similar distance in last years race and that CB was weakening at an alarming rate for a horse thats supposed to have been close to his best. It removed all the head scratching about the worth of the form for me anyway - totally dismissed by others - fair enough - but i do believe that to ignore that kind of analysis is removing knowledge from you

i never said time is be all and end all - but sectionals can unlock a lot about a race..when all else fails..and all else did fail in the KG didn't it?

i can guarantee you that when selecting what i back - the clock plays little part in reality..i use it as an after tool to try and make the picture clearer..as with KG

Last edited:
I thought the sectionals - which, to give you credit, you brought up in the first place EC - were indeed an important part of understanding the result of the King George.

They show that the horses behind Harbinger were running slowly at the end of the race (in part because they had been trying to mix it with a greatly superior rival) and that the margins between the runners were probably exagerrated.

You and I would just disagree, it seems, on HOW MUCH they were exagerrated, and the degree to which Harbinger's performance should be downgraded.

But let's not get into that argument again on a thread about Harbinger's injury: a sad thing to have happened, I think we will all agree.

I may write something about sectionals in my blog in a few weeks, for all that my request on it a year or two back for anyone interested in sharing sectional information and views to come forward met with almost total indifference.

I thought the sectionals - which, to give you credit, you brought up in the first place EC - were indeed an important part of understanding the result of the King George.

They show that the horses behind Harbinger were running slowly at the end of the race (in part because they had been trying to mix it with a greatly superior rival) and that the margins between the runners were probably exagerrated.

You and I would just disagree, it seems, on HOW MUCH they were exagerrated, and the degree to which Harbinger's performance should be downgraded.

But let's not get into that argument again on a thread about Harbinger's injury: a sad thing to have happened, I think we will all agree.

I may write something about sectionals in my blog in a few weeks, for all that my request on it a year or two back for anyone interested in sharing sectional information and views to come forward met with almost total indifference.

yes - must stick thread topic - you right

Given that he was a late developer, and a middle distance horse, will he be seen as an NH stallion or will he have appeal to breeders of flat horses as well?

I would imagine it's around 100/1 a national hunt mare is left within 100 yards of him.

I fancy Coolmore will be interested - They've been buying plenty by Dansili of late (Zoffany being the best known).

Not sure Harbinger is the type of stallion Coolmore would stand now - particularly with Zoffany now in the pipeline.

They need to sell him now while the hype is still fresh.

He wasn't early.
He didn't win a Grp race under 12f.
His page is just ok for a Stallion.
He broke down after nine races.
He won one Grp 1 race.

He was brilliant once.
He is by Dansili

It's a tricky one. I think his appeal to stallion men will be limited.

Perhaps with the wow factor initially he will be higher than Yeats.
Whether breeders will go for it though, I'm not so sure. Prefer Yeats myself in that bracket.

winner from 1m to 2m4f
winner at 2
dual grp 3 winner at 1m2f
26 starts, retired sound (if a bit grumpy)
Blacktype all the way down the page
By a champion sire and one of the best ever.

I don't think Greys comment re: National Hunt is that off the wall.

From memory this is one of the first top sons of Dansili going to stud? Yeats, is by Sadler's Wells, who has so many sons at stud.

I would not be surprised if he ranged between £20,000 - £25,000

From memory this is one of the first top sons of Dansili going to stud?

Rail Link stood for £12,500 after a disappointing 4-y-o campaign, Strategic Prince for €9,000. I'd guess (and it's no more than that, I don't know the bloodstock world) that they won't get £20,000 for him.

Rail Link stood for £12,500 after a disappointing 4-y-o campaign, Strategic Prince for €9,000. I'd guess (and it's no more than that, I don't know the bloodstock world) that they won't get £20,000 for him.

Rail Link never ran as a 4 year old, and Strategic Prince was poor, a decent Guineas run aside, as a 3 year old.

I would plump for £15-20k.

Back