Hebridean - Road To The Triumph Hurdle

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Archipenko was used as a pacemaker by Ballydoyle and his subsequent career didn't seem to suffer.

I think conclusions after that race that O'Brien dragged every last drop out of him then slung him to Nicholls at the end of the season to work with what was left might be a bit hasty.

Disappointing today, no doubt. Let's see what happens next time.

Archipenko was used as a pacemaker by Ballydoyle and his subsequent career didn't seem to suffer.

Yes - I mentioned that point in my second post referring to De Kock. I have never heard of Archipenko being a lead horse at home and that is where he differs from Hebridean. Archipenko was a pacemaker on the track (think that is what you are referring to) and it is very different from having the bollox run out of you every morning on the gallops, setting the pace in work for the group 1 hopefuls.

The ones that are sold for good money to race on the worldwide stage and go to good trainer can do well. I assume that these trainers know what they are getting and that is why the bigger money is paid. In recent years we have horses like The Mighty Tiger and Frost Giant do well in the states after disappointing for O'Brien and both Archipenko and Eagle Mountain have done very well for the great De Kock (I also see Albert Enstein won for him at the exalted surroundings of Turfontaine). However the horses that are sold to go jumping have yet to produce any sort of star that I can recall.

I think conclusions after that race that O'Brien dragged every last drop out of him then slung him to Nicholls at the end of the season to work with what was left might be a bit hasty.

Disappointing today, no doubt. Let's see what happens next time.

From what I have been told Hebridean was with Joe Crowley. He won his maiden and then he was taken to Ballydoyle to be used as a pretty decent lead horse on the gallops. Through these efforts he suggested that he could be competitive in reasonable races and ran in some of these on the flat before his form started to plateau.

He is not dissimilar to Ice Dancer who got worked to bits at home, but did not surprise to the same extent on the track.

They did win two listed races with Ice Dancer.

Always a danger when using examples, without the aid of searching back through any notes

Ice Dancer acted as a lead horse after his 3 year old career as far as I know - His visits to the track were limited afterwards.

Hardly the same, Hamm. Archipenko was highly thought of during the spring of his 3yo year. In fact, I remember thinking how strage it was that he went from a serious Derby horse to pacemaker in the Sussex in such a short space of time.

For a horse that was moved to Ballydoyle as a lead horse, O'Brien managed to coax a hell of a lot of improvement out of it, DistantView!

Eagle Mountain's been a Group 1 horse since he was 2. Just turned out de Kock had him when it finally worked out :D

From the Racing Post report:

"I don't know where the confidence came from," said Henderson.

Come on Nicky, we're not idiots! It clearly came from someone in your yard!

Hardly the same, Hamm. Archipenko was highly thought of during the spring of his 3yo year. In fact, I remember thinking how strage it was that he went from a serious Derby horse to pacemaker in the Sussex in such a short space of time.

For a horse that was moved to Ballydoyle as a lead horse, O'Brien managed to coax a hell of a lot of improvement out of it, DistantView!

Yes indeed he indeed.

Similar to Tiffany Diamond in the same colours.

The horse looked distinctly average for Crowley.

If he was a non stayer, he may improve for better ground at tracks like Kempton and Aintree. The winner looks the type to improve a lot for the experience.

He was almost beaten to far out for stamina to be an issue for me. Went out like a light and is a horse to avoid for me.

Totally agree.

Couldn't hear what Ollie was saying (no sound here) but some idiot is going nuts on BF.

Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm is there?

Certainly be an interesting winners enclosure come March if the horse was to win there.

Totally agree.

Couldn't hear what Ollie was saying (no sound here) but some idiot is going nuts on BF.

Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm is there?

Certainly be an interesting winners enclosure come March if the horse was to win there.

Jesus it'd be a howl to see Oliver in action..fingers crossed:D

Nothing wrong with Monaghan Jerseys in Cheltenham!!

Ollie is enthusiastic about Racing and he has a good one by the looks of things. He is my local trainer and not as big of an idiot as people might think. Has a nice business on the go as well. He can train a horse in fairness to him when he has a nice one, and i would love to see him win with this one.

Oliver is a real character in fairness, and some people might be put of by him. The man has had health problems of late and its a credit that he is fit to be there today with a graded hurdle winnner bought pretty cheaply. Personally i wish him all the success in the world.

Last edited:
Back