Hennessy Entries

If Denman had of beaten Snowy Morning into second today in similar fashion or one of the other classy types I could understand him being 2/1 joint favourite with the best 3 mile chaser in decades but seeing as he "only" beat Dream Alliance I think its far to knee jerk.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 1 2007, 04:50 PM
What did you have the second on going into the race Suny?
Denman 182+
Dream alliance 153+, previous (148+)
Ch Build 140$
MDB 156
Knowhere 154

Dream Alliance was not unfancied going into the race and he does not bring the form down in my opinion.

Denman looks a heavy horse with improvement, top weight off a mark of 161 winning in canter with the 2nd well clear of the rest looks solid performance.

Lets see what topspeed does, but the time looks good.

About the runner up, 6yo trained by Hobbs with 7 runs over fences, well suited by the conditions.

Denman looks a monster.

I just cant have him as joint favourite with Kauto Star or so much shorter than Exotic Dancer..... the two horses everyone was drooling over this time last week.

In fairness Galileo the RP was doing most of the drooling over Exotic Dancer. I'd price up Denamn fav at this stage. Kauto Star will need to be a very good horse to beat him..... ohhh he already is!!!

What a race!

I dont really care about the Gold Cup coz donkeys have won it in the past anyway.
Some monster horses have never won a Gold Cup and didnt need to "One Man, Florida Pearl, Carvills Hill"
I dont really care who he beat at what rating blah blah.....

All I know is that Denman put up a performance that made me realise why I love jump racing

I know that I havn't been seen on the forum for a while but this race warrants a visit :) I have to pay tribute to the performance I witnessed today . Apparently Alan King said he was just priviledged to be there . Couldn't say more than that . Never seen a performance like it , to win so easily with the weight and the mud . I think thats one of the best races I've seen . Having 9-1 for the Gold Cup AP didn't detract from my enjoyment of the race either :)

Fantastic performance.. not much more to say really!

So impressed with the way he jumped today (the leap he put in at the second last was magnificent) as well.. just a joy to watch..

Just got back from Newbury - what a day.

Inglis Drever was pure class, but Denman's win was the kind of performance you see only a handful of times in a lifetime. Certainly the best effort in a major handicap that I have ever witnessed.

The whole way round Denman was pure class and from five out you knew that he was going to put up something mighty. The form can be knocked of course, but you can't do much more than win a race like that off top-weight by 11 lengths.

I went down to the last for the second race, and those horses were legless, so the fact that Denman did what he did on that ground makes the effort all the more meritorious in my view - on a card where no other horse carried above 11st to victory in the handicaps.

Certainly the best weight-carrying performance in the Hennessy since Burrough Hill Lad and although he's not in Desert Orchid territory yet in that respect it was great to see a horse like him do that off top-weight in a major handicap.

As an aside, the winner of the first looks pretty decent too.

Denman looked so much like Mill House today, it was uncanny, a tad smaller than the "Big Horse" maybe, but still a big and magnificently athletic chaser, with the same white diamond on his forehead.

With spring-heeled jumping and all the raw power you could ever imagine, he really brought back the old memories of 40-odd years ago.

Originally posted by betsmate@Dec 1 2007, 07:17 PM
Seven pound shy of Kauto Star, five of Exotic Dancer?
9 shy of Kauto's best (184). 175 might only be the preliminary figure though, there's no + on it which you'd have to think it deserves giving how easily the RP jumps handicapper gives them out. I suspect he might add a few more pounds on for style of victory before the final rating is published. 178+ at a guess.

Ta. I wouldn't hesitate to back Kauto Star at level weights but would be less confident at predicting how far he would beat Denman by.

Originally posted by sunybay@Dec 1 2007, 04:01 PM
Lets see what topspeed does, but the time looks good.

Don't know what Dave Edwards has brought him out as yet, but according to my limited figures - (don't have standards for Kempton) Kauto put up a career best staying mark last week :eek: and Denmans's gone past it this week :p which according to my Sun Alliance projections, he was entitled to do at some point during the season. If that's PN's definition of an unfit horse who'll come on for the run, then we don't have a pretender, as much as heir apparent

Well as I said the bet of the season has to be Kauto Star/Denman forecast in the Gold Cup. :xmassnowlaugh:

Originally posted by Warbler+Dec 1 2007, 08:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warbler @ Dec 1 2007, 08:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-sunybay@Dec 1 2007, 04:01 PM
Lets see what  topspeed does, but the time looks good.

Don't know what Dave Edwards has brought him out as yet, but according to my limited figures - (don't have standards for Kempton) Kauto put up a career best staying mark last week )[/b][/quote]
KS won at Haydock

What a performance – best Hennessy winner since Burrough Hill Lad. What a great jumper. Just a pity that due to some litlle b*stards breaking into my garage overnight and pinching 3 expensive mountain bikes, I missed my first Hennessy in 22 years. Looks like the Gold Cup winner to me !

Back