Hennessy Entries

Originally posted by Diamond Geezer+Dec 1 2007, 09:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Diamond Geezer @ Dec 1 2007, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 1 2007, 08:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sunybay
@Dec 1 2007, 04:01 PM
Lets see what  topspeed does, but the time looks good.

Don't know what Dave Edwards has brought him out as yet, but according to my limited figures - (don't have standards for Kempton) Kauto put up a career best staying mark last week )
KS won at Haydock [/b][/quote]
I know!!!

What I'm saying is I don't have a King George figure for him, hence me calling his Haydock figure a career best. It is possible he ran a bigger one at Kempton (though I'd doubt it) but I can't know

I think some hacker has infiltrated my Betfair page and installed Denman as favourite for the Gold Cup - it`s surely the only rational explanation shrug::

Kauto Star would in theory have to give Dream Alliance around 40lbs if they met in handicap company. This surely puts things in perpective.

It's utterly irrelevant how much weight Kauto Star would have to give to anyone when assessing Denman's Gold Cup prospects. It puts nothing in perspective.

Originally posted by landlark@Dec 1 2007, 09:15 PM
Well as I said the bet of the season has to be Kauto Star/Denman forecast in the Gold Cup. :xmassnowlaugh:
Too true already! But how do we find an antepost forecast??

btw nice to meet you Landlark however briefly!

Btw One of the great pleasures of today, and there have been many, was witnessing the massed stands at Newbury starting to clap in Denman from - well, not far short of two out. And these are people who know what they've seen

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Dec 2 2007, 12:10 AM
It's utterly irrelevant how much weight Kauto Star would have to give to anyone when assessing Denman's Gold Cup prospects. It puts nothing in perspective.
So weight and ratings mean nowt then? Denman beat plodders today, KS can give weight and beatings to proper horses.

Are we all supposed to be swept away by wide margin victories? Once Snowy Morning exited there really wasn`t that much quality in the field. Ultimately the bookies as ever have over-reacted. Yesterdsay evening Denman was trading at 3.45 for the Gold Cup - Exotic Dancer was 10s. That just aint right.

I concur completely. It's isn't that Denman can't or won't win the Gold Cup. It is just that the prices that are wrong.

Yep. And it could get even better for value seekers. KS is vulnerable at Kempton and if ED beats him and Denman hacks up in Ireland, the reigning champ will be a very backable price for the Gold Cup.

The average rating for the field going into yesterdays Hennessey was 143 (rounded) the average in 2005 was 137, meaning that Denmans comfortably eclipsed Trabolgan. The field was also more competitive given that 72% of them had rating in excess of 140, compared to 32% in 2005. Carrying weight on heavy ground is of course harder than the firmer surface that Trabolgan prevailed on too.

Denman just simply banged out the sections jumping straight and accurately, and just stretched away from them in the manner that only very few horses can. He didn't appear to be running quickly to the eye, as he was travelling under restraint without ever fighting for his and the absence of any discernable effort only led me to think he was being saved. It was only when you looked back at the pursuers being scrubbed along whilst he just bowled his way through the sections economically like a good thing can, that you realised he was crucifying them such was their close to 'all out' effort from about 6F out just to stay in touch with his relentless gallop

I think the Snowy Morning thing is clutching at straws in honesty. He might have carried my money, but I for one won't be trying to invoke the "what if" scenario to crab the performance

Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 2 2007, 11:52 AM
The average rating for the field going into yesterdays Hennessey was 143 (rounded) the average in 2005 was 137, meaning that Denmans comfortably eclipsed Trabolgan. The field was also more competitive given that 72% of them had rating in excess of 140, compared to 32% in 2005.
I wonder if that's of any real significance, Warbler.

I'd be more inclined to measure the competitiveness of the race by how many of the field had how much in hand of their official rating. If I get the chance, I'll try and look back through my figures for the last few years and make a comparison. Off the top of my head, I do think yesterday's race was at least as competitive as in recent seasons.

Two routes to the one conclusion...

Also, do you have access to the sectionals or are you going by visual impression?

Regardless of whether ther ace was fast or slow-run for the first half, there's no doubt Denman was hacking along while others weren't, but we've also seen other horses do that and not hit the heights.

Originally posted by Galileo@Dec 2 2007, 10:59 AM
Poor old Beefy having to face Denman in the Lexus...
What do you mean poor Beefy - that'll be the ultimate test for Denman :D

Looking at the race again this morning it really is noticeable how virtually nothing was travelling from a long long way out. Credit to Denman for being the only one to travel but equally it must rise some question marks as to the merits of what he beat.

Looking at the race again this morning it really is noticeable how virtually nothing was travelling from a long long way out

Oh come off it now....

A big field like that and all bar one had an off day i suppose?

I know you are dying to knock down Denmans performance but this is a bit silly. Fact is that the big horse had them all off the bridle a long way out. Thats what happens isnt it?

Yes - rather than tying yourself in knots trying to come up with bizarre theories to the contrary, sometimes it is just simpler to accept the fact that the horse has just absolutely gagged up in a competitive 18 runner handicap off top weight and is an absolute machine...

Back