Hennessy field.

Very well done to Pearsy for looting that, an outstanding ride by Battie and an emotional one, too, his beloved and highly supportive mum Cheryl having died as a resut of cancer seven years to the day. That's who the post-line kiss is to, bless him. I had tears coursing down my face thinking of how much he misses her and what the win, on this day of all days, means to him. It shows how much this cheeky wee chappie is loved in the weighing room to see just about every rider shake his hand, slap his back, or even give him a kiss. He's a local Sussex lad and I can't wait to congratulate him when he next shows at Fontwell or Plumpton.

If you think it's a rough lot I recommend you back Wayward Prince... I don't think he can run a bad race here... if it is as you say and there is nothing to beat (I take the view that it is competitive), he'll win doing cartwheels.

Apologies OTB... the one I thought wouldn’t run a bad race ran the worst of the lot. Never travelling and always on the back foot after an horrendous mistake... eventually pulled up.

Apart from the winner I was impressed with Planet Of Sound under a big weight with Fair Along flashing home to be placed. An exciting race... not a profitable one.

Planet of Sound Newbury record is 2111..goes well fresh ..ground perfect..and 158 is a decent mark when looking at his run behind IC in last years Betfair Chase..looks a decent bet in this

Nice call (also to dobbin)... thought he ran a great race.

Last edited:
Thanks, but was nowhere near a racecourse today so no bet. Still felt had to say it though! Got a soft spot for Fair Along, he's so consistent.

Well done Carruthers backers, and indeed those who got something each way.

My terrible record in this race (without Denman's help) continues.

Thoroughly enjoyable day of racing though.

I love FAlong but he clearly is scared stiff by fences - he dropped himself out before running on - a superbly sympathetic ride by Nina.

Lovey win, 2 years to the day since Mattie's Mum died, so very emotional, although he couldn't even stop smiling before the race, never mind winning.

krizon; if and when you do bump into Mattie on your travels, please give him my congratulations...althought the S.O. was on Planet of Sound yesterday I was screaming for Carruthers to win,though saddend when Chicky said during the interview that she 'hoped' John had seen the race. If ever a family deserved a win like this it was the Oakseys. Have so much respect for them and their cheeky jockey. Two emotional Saturdays on the trot for racing. [is Nina planning to ride fair Along in the National??]

krizon; if and when you do bump into Mattie on your travels, please give him my congratulations...althought the S.O. was on Planet of Sound yesterday I was screaming for Carruthers to win,though saddend when Chicky said during the interview that she 'hoped' John had seen the race. If ever a family deserved a win like this it was the Oakseys. Have so much respect for them and their cheeky jockey. Two emotional Saturdays on the trot for racing. [is Nina planning to ride fair Along in the National??]

Fair Along is far too small to run in the National - they better not try .

Moehat, I'll be delighted to pass on your congrats. Very emotional for him as it coincided with mum Cheryl's death seven years ago, as well as knowing dear Lord Oaksey probably wouldn't be in the best state (I believe he has dementia) to recognise his home-bred horse win. Lady O does fantastic work for the IJF as one of their long-time almoners, too, so in all regards a very much deserved win to a highly-respected and loved couple. Couldn't be better, could it?

I was delighted to see Carruthers win, and was then saddened to read both the post-race comments by Chicky Oaksey and Sara Bradstock plus Alistair Down's piece in this morning's RP as although I'd known Lord Oaksey was physically frail, I hadn't realised he was stricken with dementia as well. I hope he was having a lucid day and was able to take some pleasure from his wonderful little horse's splendid win.

Thanks guys, was actually shaking for half an hour after the race :D. Money doesn't really come into it when you have wonderful scenes of celebrations like we had yesterday. I didn't have a penny on Kauto in the Betfair but for 2 weeks in a row I have had such an incredible thrill that no other sport comes close to imho. The genuine delight of the other jocks for Mattie and the knowledge of the very special man who bred the horse made it a day to remember :).

In the aftermath of everyone giving lots of credit to Mattie Batchelor, can't help but feel the key reason for Carruthers finishing his race better was the fitting of a tongue strap, suggested when ridden by Fehily for the first time at Cheltenham last time. Wonder if there's a link with Batchelor failing to spot that and his lack of winners.

Excellent point DJ. Perhaps a breathing op as favoured so often by Nicholls could also eek out a little bit more improvement. He finished this race much stronger than any in his career so the application of the tongue tie was obviously very significant. Looking forward to seeing him in a small field, soft ground conditions race as he may not be finished quite yet :)

Back