Hennessy

I'm kind of trusting his trainer on that. I also think that starting off over timber last year didn't help his transition to fences and that if he'd had a couple of easy novice events before Christmas instead of being beaten by Big Bucks we'd have seen a more polished jumper come the spring. I'm also far from convinced he likes Cheltenham given that his hurdling was far from perfect in the Baring Bingham.

He's a big strong chasing type carrying a feather weight on a track that suits him. How the hell Burton Port and Weird Al are shorter in the market baffles me.

Because they can jump and he can not. Simple

Can't claim it's my own thinking but Madison du Berlais is potentially a big price. Plenty of form in these conditions and very well handicapped on his best form. His form against Denman off levels 2 seasons ago marks him down as 165/170. He never looked the same horse last season but has dropped to a sub-160 mark as a result. Very interesting they gave him a spin over hurdles to put him spot on I think.

Jeez, you'd think he was a ten year old with major issues throughout his career.

I like siding with class in races like these. Weird Al and Burton Port are the sort of horses people back who like the guaranteed stayers in the Derby.

His jumping is pretty flakey and for all the hype surrounding his trainer he seems to be more adept with hurdlers than chasers. Most of his recent success has been in novice hurdles.

What do those that fancy Burton Port to beat Diamond Harry make of the Fixed Brush race at Aintree last year?

Not that I am a massive Burton Port fan, but I'll field this question.

Burton Port is a slower maturing horse than Diamond Harry.
Burton Port is a better jumper of fences that Diamond Harry.
Burton Port's last run didn't have the faint whiff of sourness.

This is what I love about racing, particularly jumps racing, and races like this. So many good horses in with a chance, so many reasons to pick and not pick the majority of the field, so many arguments - pros and cons. Some will be right, far more will be wrong but either way I'd imagine it'll be a great race.

I couldn't bring myself to lay him. And if memory serves Grassy didn't you say last year he wouldn't finish in the first 5?

I'm filling up on Diamond Harry. Could be my biggest jumps bet ever.

I certainly did, Euro. I have a bigger shovel this year though

This is what I love about racing, particularly jumps racing, and races like this. So many good horses in with a chance, so many reasons to pick and not pick the majority of the field, so many arguments - pros and cons. Some will be right, far more will be wrong but either way I'd imagine it'll be a great race.

Particularly high quality this year too and will take some winning. Not only have we got Denman off 184 at the top but plenty of strength in depth. The winner, whoever it is will be decent. If the top weight wins it will be legendary.

Did anyone find the quote from Phil Smith in today's Post amusing. Basically he was delighted Denman is turning up and keeping so many out the weights. This is the same fella that is delighted that every horse is in the handicap in the National these days. Easily pleased?

China Rock's name has appeared among the provisional declarations for the Hennessy - looks rather odd, wouldn't you say. Not jocked up, so perhaps an administrative error.

No doubt just that... they have forgotten to take him out.

It's a declaration stage though, not a forfeit, so a horse cannot be left in by accident. Possibly an admin error with the BHA, but I think Mouse is trying to be clever (but not succeeding).

It's a declaration stage though, not a forfeit, so a horse cannot be left in by accident. Possibly an admin error with the BHA, but I think Mouse is trying to be clever (but not succeeding).

Of course you're right, it's an acceptance stage rather than a forfeit, so they've declared to leave him in.

Odd. Barry Geraghty now on Burton Port. Richard Johnson jocked up for China Rock.

Apparently China Rock is only 50:50 to take part, according to his trainer. Consequently, "Should the gelding run on Saturday then he will be ridden by Richard Johnson". PA

Back