Hennessy

Nice picture, Jinny.
I've been backing Henri Parry Morgan for this for a few weeks now and had a saver on Vincente last night. Optimistic as ever even had a shot at the forecast.
Some good competive racing today.

Local Show and Aubusson ante-post, and have backed Theatre Guide each-way today.

Last edited:
OK, Native River won but 7/2 a favourite in the Hennessy??

Well done all you who kept the faith (I backed it in the RSA at big prices ante-post and when it won at Aintree but I couldn't fancy it at 6/1 let alone shorter) and especially well done to all who got the big price.

I had given up on Carole's Destrier on the first circuit as I didn't think he was well-positioned but maybe he just couldn't go the pace. I thought for a moment he might get there but it wasn't to be. Normally I'm happy to have got a run for my money but I really wasn't getting 'into' CD during the race and even up the straight I thought a place was the best he could do so wasn't urging him on until after the last.

I still think the 33/1 was ridiculously big so I didn't lay off the bet. 50/1 runner-up and nowt to show for it. Such is life.

HPM was a big disappointment. I really expected much better from him. Triolo made a bad mistake early and was jumping low and leaving his legs in the fence a lot. I smashed the sp with Upswing but he was never in it.

I'd take a positive slant on the form. I thought beforehand it was as hot as you'll get and Double Ross was weighted to win an average big Saturday handicap on his best form.

Last edited:
Coologue had a wind operation prior to that Cheltenham win and holds a good each way chance I feel especially if you can get first five or six.

edit.......Although I see DO has him rank bottom in his ratings :ninja:

But with '+p' so could be expected to outrun that mark by some way.

Native River did it the hard way and almost paid for it at the end but being 14/1 for the GC just for winning it doesn't sounds right. Smad Place put a much better performance last year in this race and I don't think he was this low in the GC market, probably 16/1? Then again Valseur Lido is into 8s..

It occurred to me later this afternoon that for all Tom Segal's low opinion of last season's novices they haven't done too badly.

Aintree champion Native River has confirmed the form with RSA winner Blaklion almost to the pound which makes HPM's tame finish all the more difficult to take as he was 5lbs better off for three lengths.

By the way, Smad Place wasn't beaten too far off top weight and on my figures emerges a better horse than the winner although obviously the latter is young enough to improve again. Then again, if Smad Place was outclassed in the Gold Cup...

Edit: just read that HPM made a bad blunder on the first circuit. I must have missed that. I'll need to watch the race again a few times.

Last edited:
It occurred to me later this afternoon that for all Tom Segal's low opinion of last season's novices they haven't done too badly.

Aintree champion Native River has confirmed the form with RSA winner Blaklion almost to the pound which makes HPM's tame finish all the more difficult to take as he was 5lbs better off for three lengths.

By the way, Smad Place wasn't beaten too far off top weight and on my figures emerges a better horse than the winner although obviously the latter is young enough to improve again. Then again, if Smad Place was outclassed in the Gold Cup...

Edit: just read that HPM made a bad blunder on the first circuit. I must have missed that. I'll need to watch the race again a few times.
Yeah I think his criticism was a bit unjustified.

HPM did whack one on the first circuit and he didn't jump the cross fence 5 out very well which was crucial as he was just starting to get running. I have done similar to you regarding the big one in April and the strategy hasn't changed whatsoever for me.

Smad Place ran very well, much better than I expected under that big weight. He may be difficult to place going forwards because he'll have top weight in these handicaps but just short of grade 1 class.

Would we give Carole's Destriere a chance in the GN if connections were to aim at it? Could see him hunting them down from around canal turn on second circuit.

A lot will depend on how the handicapper interprets this run. If he only puts the winner up 5lbs he might settle for 4lbs for CD. He probably has that much more improvement in him. If he puts NR up by more than 10lbs (I think it will be 9lbs) it leaves things in the balance a bit more as CD will go up by about 9lbs and that might make things that wee bit more difficult.

Looking back through the race, I wonder what might be going through Nicky Henderson's mind today.

In a race in which traditionally it does not pay off tactically to come from the back, all three of his runners were ridden "in rear". Under the circumstances, Hadrian's Approach may have done very well to get as close as he did.

A lot will depend on how the handicapper interprets this run. If he only puts the winner up 5lbs he might settle for 4lbs for CD. He probably has that much more improvement in him. If he puts NR up by more than 10lbs (I think it will be 9lbs) it leaves things in the balance a bit more as CD will go up by about 9lbs and that might make things that wee bit more difficult.

Native River up 8lbs
Carole's Destrier up 6lbs

Looks like he's taken the view that NR was idling. But I'd fancy CD to overturn the form on the revised terms with a less negative ride.

Carole's Destrier goes for the Welsh National next, and really does look to have outstanding claims off his old mark, with the longer trip right up his street. Surprised he's still double figures to be honest.

Carole's Destrier goes for the Welsh National next, and really does look to have outstanding claims off his old mark, with the longer trip right up his street. Surprised he's still double figures to be honest.

Chepstow's an idiosyncratic track though and I'd be concerned that he ran deplorably when he was a short priced jolly here in the trial a couple of years back.

Chepstow's an idiosyncratic track though and I'd be concerned that he ran deplorably when he was a short priced jolly here in the trial a couple of years back.

12/1 available now

Back