Hennessy

Another vote for the return of DG from me.

I've never personally had a problem with EC but I have to admit I'm not sure where that rant came from.

DG does so much to make this forum as good as it is and has always come across as nothing but informative and courteous, it would be a huge shame to lose him. As it would/is EC but alas, you can't go posting things like that without recrimination.

Back to the thread and the price difference between Native River and Blaklion is more like I'd have expected as 12's was too big about the Twister horse earlier this week but I never got involved.

I'm really looking forward to this race and while I've been struggling to be confident about one of a handful (and have even considered overlooking Un Temps Pour Tout's inconsistency) the more I consider the Aintree run the more I'm convinced that the extra three quarters of a mile and 15lb swing in the weights hugely favors Vyta Du Roc and he's certainly still backable at 9/1 off a featherweight.

I hate deserting Native River as I've been with him for an age but at the weights and current prices it'll be the Henderson horse for me.

Last edited:
Tremendous video on the RUK website, reliving some of the recent runnings of the Hennessy.

I'd completely forgotten that Denman was also third as 10yo off a mark of 182, when attempting to give 26 and 25lbs respectively to winner Diamond Harry and second Burton Port. What a horse.

Last edited:
For the forum's sake as well as for the sake of each individual, it's a shame the debate descended as it did.

I hope both can find their way back.

I'd completely forgotten that Denman was also third as 10yo off a mark of 182, when attempting to give 26 and 25lbs respectively to winner Diamond Harry and second Burton Port. What a horse.

Now that was a genuinely impossible task. And he was 9/2f or so as I recall. Then again, maybe he fitted a lot of the trends :cool:

Last edited:
A field of 20 has been declared for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury on Saturday, with no Virak, Bishops Rd, Outlander, Wounded Warrior, Empire Of Dirt, Otago Trail, Drumacoo or Another Hero. 19 mins ago

20 runners and not one bookie (as yet) offering 5 places promotion.

They don't need to though with wankers like Twatsport & Fred paying 3 places :mad:

Then again, maybe he fitted a lot of the trends :cool:
It's that sort of harmless ribbing that he would have made him explode with a tirade at you that would be 20 lines long and very personal.
EC1 has been a fine contributor over the years but his style of posting has become steadily more volatile, paranoid and abusive over the last 18 months and in my view the forum just doesn't need it anymore.

PS Smad Place wins :)

Lets get DG back as soon as possible please.

EC1 is just a bored old man who likes to act the drama queen on an almost daily basis now. Without the forum he will have very little to do most days. I'm pretty sure he has fallen out with almost ever member of the forum by now. He has now asked to be removed and that would be best for everyone.

A field of 20 has been declared for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury on Saturday, with no Virak, Bishops Rd, Outlander, Wounded Warrior, Empire Of Dirt, Otago Trail, Drumacoo or Another Hero. 19 mins ago
No Drumacoo after him talking it up all week....what a plum. (No i haven't backed it!)

It's that sort of harmless ribbing that he would have made him explode with a tirade at you that would be 20 lines long and very personal.
EC1 has been a fine contributor over the years but his style of posting has become steadily more volatile, paranoid and abusive over the last 18 months and in my view the forum just doesn't need it anymore.

I admit there was an element of mischief in my post but it was meant to be good-humoured. I hope it was received in the manner in which it was intended.

EC1 likes me. Any tirade wouldn't have been any more than 19 lines long.

In case anyone is a bit distraught about yesterday's events we shall be holding Play — Doh and colouring book session plus cry-ins with therapy dogs after racing.

As for the Hennessy I'll be amazed if Blacklion is not bang there in the home straight.
A horse that could be well in is the Whitbread losing fav(UR) Henri Parry Morgan of Peter Bowens is my idea of the winner.

I'm sticking with Native River (expecting BIG prices Saturday morning) and throwing in Blaklion, Smad Place, Aubsusson and Theatre Guide in forcasts & tricasts.

Also interesting Harry Skelton's riding again for Nicholls. It's probably a one-off and a result of the Hales connection, but still good to see

Sad to see two valued members going on this thread. FWIW, my take is that DG's response was harsh in relation to the criticism's EC1 made (and unlike him too). Somewhat predictably EC1 then went over the top. I'd have done the same tbh, though I wouldn't have been so dismissive of someone else's "cut and pasted" opinion in the first place.

Hopefully both can find a way to return to action.

I've done the figures for the Hennessy (bar Outlander as I've still to check his latest form) and it looks hot.

There's a good dozen I like the look of but in the hope of stealing some early value have taken two ante-post bets this afternoon.

Carole's Destrier (0.5pt win 50/1) - has a bit to find on the ratings but not unlikely to do so and has gone blue in places this afternoon. Mulholland's only declared runner and likely to be a Kealy or Segal pick this week, in which case the price will halve. If he turns up on Saturday he probably won't be any more than 16/1 regardless of whether they've tipped him.

Upswing (0.25pt ew 66/1) - half-expecting him not to run but Jonjo only has Holywell - not his time of year? - and Another Hero who is 6lbs out of the handicap, and he ran well in the stayers' chase at Cheltenham the other week.

They wouldn't be my main fancies but I'm not ready to back them yet.

Happy enough with those two outsiders as they're shorter now, especially Upswing (Coleman aboard), as well as with the 12/1 I got about Henri Parry Morgan which I was already on at 66/1 for the National and took 50s during the week. I'll be happy with a run for my money from all of them.

I've only just seen all this, and agree with the views of the overwhelming majority.

Roger, I'd ask you to re-consider. I've always respected you enormously for all the hard work you put in on here, and your contribution will be genuinely missed by almost everyone. Most of us, either right now, or at some point previously, have been involved in the competitions you run, and we get an enormous amount of enjoyment out of them. And as for cutting and pasting, the stuff you find and post is both invaluable and enjoyable to read in equal measures.

I'd also add on a more personal note, that it wouldn't be right to lose such a good bloke in these circumstances. EC has gone, and his increasing rants have gone with him, so it would be such a shame for you to lose the enjoyment Talking Horses has given you over an incident that is unlikely to be repeated. I understand why you might take a few days to clear your head, but not being involved beyond that feels unnecessary.

Of course I respect your decision, whatever it may be. But if you choose not to return, I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for all of your many contributions, which have made my own involvement on here all the more enjoyable.

20 runners and not one bookie (as yet) offering 5 places promotion.

They don't need to though with wankers like Twatsport & Fred paying 3 places :mad:

Winner are now 5 places. My account there is empty but expect Skybet and Bet365 will weigh in tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winner won't take a dime off me Viking and I'm not convinced the two you mention - who just happen to be the only books I bet with properly anymore - will revise their terms as they normally weigh in with that concession on the Thursday. But who knows.

Fingers crossed though. Although he wins anyhow so who cares about place terms ? :D

Last edited:
Back