Hope No-ones Intending To Fly This Week....

I don't think you'll find that your first paragraph of castigation will be correct, Warbler. There's a constant exchange of intelligence between all countries signed up to such protocols, and as the Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Phillipino and other Far Eastern countries send their agents to be trained in the US and the UK, they will only have alerted ours to the likelihood that this time round it's going to be in liquid form.

The Saudis were employing full-time x-raying of all outgoing and incoming airport luggage way back in the 1970s, complete with British-trained sniffer dogs (lots of cheerful spaniels) running all over the carousels snouting for drugs as well as nastier things. No matter if the planes came from Egypt, the UK, or Bahrain, all the passengers' luggage got the seach and destroy treatment first by hand, and then through x-rays and the dawgies.

The Saudi Arabian Oil Co. installed anti-ramming (i.e. explosives-laden vehicles) concrete blocks around its offices in 1978-9, once it was known that the Shah was on his way out and Islamic fundamentalism on its way in in Iran.

It installed full-time in/out x-ray machines for ALL employees' baggage - regardless of whether you were an American female clerk who'd been shopping, or a high-level exec with a briefcase, it went in, and out, of the machines EVERY TIME you went in or out of the offices. It had the pleasing knock-on effect of reducing the loss of office supplies, too!

The Saudi Govt. pays handsomely for people to keep their ears open and report any untoward chatter or activity. They've had domestic spies in place for decades, mostly keeping an eye on the people they know most likely to want to overthrow the Sunni Government (which is mostly the Royal family, being an autonomy), and cause internal disturbances. This does sometimes fail, of course. But there are regular gun battles between the police and Al-Queda supporters and Shi'ite dissidents as intelligence reveals their locations - these don't seem to ever make it to our papers, although they're reported in Arab News (in English) online. There have been some fatal bombings or shootings at expatriate residences and places of work. Overall, though, considering Saudi as the birthplace of Osama, and the number of covert followers there, supporters of the Taliban in Afghanistan and the fundamentalists' fundamentalists such as the Wahhabi, they do a fairly good job of controlling the hot spots.

I think you'll find that they're selective and not adverse to sandbagging Kriz. Even Bureau within the same agencies will do it, yet alone agencies within the same country. Special Branch and MI5 have a history of it. Although ISI were essentially set up and trained by the CIA (I certainly wouldn't dispute that), they too have something of a chequred history, when American involvement waned a bit and they started pursuing their own agenda. The relationship between MOSSAD and CIA of course being one of the most interesting. The DGSE are of course frequently cited as serial sandbaggers...... Whats that? Shit ..... someone's kicked my door through........ agghhhhhhh :ph34r:

Originally posted by Craig_uk@Aug 16 2006, 09:32 AM
Nice to see many people come out saying we should use profiling and also one "sir" who's name escapes me saying the communities should take more responsibility and help sort these things out. Plus all the silly PC getting in the way of common sense and this is how the world is, young Asian men are trying to do us harm, so if you Asian be prepared to put under more scrutiny, it's the way the world is, tough!

I imagine these people are racist and stupid as well.
Young white men appear to be a threat too seen as one of the current suspects converted to Islam later in life so profiling wouldn't pick up on people like that. Also, the shoe bomber Richard Read was also a convert who wouldn't have been picked up on ethnic profiling.

Why not use profiling to target racists too? Anyone purchasing The Sun, Star, Mail or Express newspaper is surely a greater suspect. :P

Originally posted by gamla_stan+Aug 16 2006, 02:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gamla_stan @ Aug 16 2006, 02:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Craig_uk@Aug 16 2006, 09:32 AM
Nice to see many people come out saying we should use profiling and also one "sir" who's name escapes me saying the communities should take more responsibility and help sort these things out. Plus all the silly PC getting in the way of common sense and this is how the world is, young Asian men are trying to do us harm, so if you Asian be prepared to put under more scrutiny, it's the way the world is, tough!

I imagine these people are racist and stupid as well.
Young white men appear to be a threat too seen as one of the current suspects converted to Islam later in life so profiling wouldn't pick up on people like that. Also, the shoe bomber Richard Read was also a convert who wouldn't have been picked up on ethnic profiling.

Why not use profiling to target racists too? Anyone purchasing The Sun, Star, Mail or Express newspaper is surely a greater suspect. :P [/b][/quote]
Who reads that sh#t.

Nice to see England got off to a good start today as well, I suppose i'm a racist because I wanted an English manager instead of a non patriotic foreigners unlike many on this forum.

Amazing how they played today with a bit of English spirit behind them, but according to the PC brigade on here im a racist cos I'm an English person who wanted an English manager.

Can anyone talk common sense on here, but then again we are all trying to be PC and conservatives.

I'm not a troll but i'm made to feel like it because i stick up for common sense.

Strikes me Craig that for whatever reason, you seem to be determind to bracket yourself. It's clearly a word you're fond of using, and seem desperate to want to be accused of? I can only guess that you're taking on a role of martyr, so you can then say that you were victimised etc?

"As a non racist white english person, i shall go sit under a stone due to fear of upsetting anyone and then being classed racist".

"I imagine these people are racist and stupid as well".

"but according to the PC brigade on here im a racist cos I'm an English person who wanted an English manager".

"If I was to turn around and call these people names due to their background, or not give them a job due to the colur of their skin (just a few examples), then fair do's i'd be a racist".

"The word racist seems to used for pretty much anything a white english person says now".

"I suppose i'm a racist because I wanted an English manager instead of a non patriotic foreigners unlike many on this forum".

Your attempts to link a football match with a terrorist situation though, does smack of desperation a bit I'm afraid. Personally I've heard a lot worse, and don't mind observing the odd weather cock like yourself, as I'm sure you do reflect a growing sentiment of sorts, and its always worth monitoring. I think you're starting to sail a bit close, but then I'm sure that's deliberate, as you appear to be suffering from a persecution complex, which is crying out to be censured in order to satisfy your own thirst, I suspect, which you'll then interpret as you are being made the victim, which in turn will only serve to reinforce your conviction of the self rightous, who's been unjustly wronged.

Good luck with it.

And I'm sure Englands performance in a friendly had more to do with the absence of a certain Mr Beckham <_<

Can't say I had any problems - bar the bad weather that meant the plane couldn't land at Gib so a bus ride to Malaga and all day travelling was the result. :angy: They were a little stricter at Malaga, but not a lot - just insisted everyone took off anything metal (including watches or belts) before the went through the x-ray scanner. Mind you they didn't seem to mind my metal hairclip - the same one that was confiscated from my hand luggage once before at Gib airport as it constituted a dangerous weapon (clearly wearing it in your hair rather than carrying it in hand luggage negates the weapon element of it...)

I think the clues might be in the time of year....the airline in question.....and the respective destinations <_<

Back