Horses to follow - Flat

Dal Harraild looked an unlucky loser to me in a valuable 12f handicap at Ascot yesterday, held up out the back in a steadily-run race and ending up with just too much to do. He was only beaten two necks in the end, is clearly thriving, can only go up a pound or two and is just the sort Haggas does well with. There's a suitable race for him at Goodwood at the end of the month.

Excellent post gus, hope you had a few bob on.

I think Gus got on anti-post on Dancing Star in the aftermath of his last win? Or was in Desert Orchid or both!

Growl ran a belter there after meeting trouble from his car park draw,His owner is known to enjoy his big handicap winners so he could be a likely sort for The Great st Wilfrid or even having shown his liking for soft ground, The Ayr Gold cup.

Bryan Smart has a decent prospect on his hands in Delectation, a winner at 28/1 of a juvenile fillies' maiden over 6f at Thirsk yesterday.

By Delegator, she was a 3000gns vendor buyback at auction. That looks a good bit of business now. The market for yesterday's race was headed by promising types from the Haggas and Fahey yards, both of them with solid debut performances behind them, and they both ran well to finish in the places but neither was any match for Delectation who travelled easily throughout and quickened nicely away to win by two lengths without having any sort of hard race. The thirteen-runner field was pretty well strung out at the finish - the fourth finished nearly four lengths behind the third - and, significantly, the time stands up solidly in relation to two (admittedly modest) 6f older-horse handicaps later on the card.

Smart was quite bullish afterwards, saying he hadn't done much with her, and he's thinking in terms of the Firth of Clyde Stakes at the Ayr Western Meeting. She won't be out of place in that and she'd interest me if she ran at all between now and then.

A hugely impressive performance this evening from Blue Point in a minor event at Doncaster.

He won without coming off the bridle by eleven lengths from a filly with decent Listed race form on her CV and the time by my calculations was top-class. By Shamardal out of a Royal Applause mare, Blue Point cost £210k as a yearling and the sky's the limit. He'll stay 7f for sure and probably a mile.

I backed Boynton for the Dewhurst earlier today and it would be just my luck if he's supplanted by Blue Point as the main Godolphin hope for that race. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

After a decent but slightly underwhelming run at Goodwood, Blue Point showed his true colours in the Gimcrack yesterday when he seemed to be suited by a slightly more restrained ride. The time was fast, coming out at 121 by my calculation. Comments from the trainer suggest he's likely to stay sprinting and a Middle Park clash between Blue Point and Caravaggio would be something to see. Quotes of 5/1 and 8/13 respectively hugely overstate the gap between the two, for me.

Nisser, mentioned earlier on this thread, has now joined Robert Cowell and has his first start since the move at Newmarket today. He hasn't run for a while but is reunited with Atzeni who was on board for his best performance of the season at Haydock. If he reproduced that he'd have an excellent chance this afternoon.

Nuno Tristan,previously mentioned by Gus on the ante post thread ran an encouraging race over 7f at Goodwood yesterday.
Richard Fahey seems to be building up to something with him, entered in the Ayr Gold Cup he's unlikely to get in that off a mark of 94 but which would leave with a reasonable weight for the Silver Cup.
A big field and searing pace and a slightly stiffer finish than he's had previously at Goodwood and Ripon will be perfect for him. The ground could be a worry as he wouldn't want extremes but a win at Redcar on god-sft shows that a bit of cut would be fine.

a Middle Park clash between Blue Point and Caravaggio would be something to see. Quotes of 5/1 and 8/13 respectively hugely overstate the gap between the two, for me.

Looking less likely to happen now with Caravaggio a doubt due to a pulled muscle.

Nuno Tristan,previously mentioned by Gus on the ante post thread ran an encouraging race over 7f at Goodwood yesterday.
Richard Fahey seems to be building up to something with him, entered in the Ayr Gold Cup he's unlikely to get in that off a mark of 94 but which would leave with a reasonable weight for the Silver Cup.
A big field and searing pace and a slightly stiffer finish than he's had previously at Goodwood and Ripon will be perfect for him. The ground could be a worry as he wouldn't want extremes but a win at Redcar on god-sft shows that a bit of cut would be fine.

Ran another fine race here and remains one to follow for the rest of the season with a bit of ease underfoot.

Bryan Smart has a decent prospect on his hands in Delectation, a winner at 28/1 of a juvenile fillies' maiden over 6f at Thirsk yesterday.

By Delegator, she was a 3000gns vendor buyback at auction. That looks a good bit of business now. The market for yesterday's race was headed by promising types from the Haggas and Fahey yards, both of them with solid debut performances behind them, and they both ran well to finish in the places but neither was any match for Delectation who travelled easily throughout and quickened nicely away to win by two lengths without having any sort of hard race. The thirteen-runner field was pretty well strung out at the finish - the fourth finished nearly four lengths behind the third - and, significantly, the time stands up solidly in relation to two (admittedly modest) 6f older-horse handicaps later on the card.

Smart was quite bullish afterwards, saying he hadn't done much with her, and he's thinking in terms of the Firth of Clyde Stakes at the Ayr Western Meeting. She won't be out of place in that and she'd interest me if she ran at all between now and then.

Fantastic post gus, hope you had a few quid on.

This thread and the ante post thread have seen some excellent contributions this flat season and will certainly have led to forum members making a few bob.

Last edited:
Sobetsu was tremendously impressive visually in the mile maiden for juvenile fillies at Newmarket yesterday, coming ten lengths clear of the field in the closing stages, and her excellent winning time confirms she's out of the top drawer. By Dubawi out of a Darshaan mare who won over eleven furlongs, she'll stay at least ten furlongs and probably a mile and a half. In the immediate future she has entries in the Fillies' Mile and the Marcel Boussac and she'd have excellent prospects in either.

Gus, nicely bred as the grand dam, by Sadler's Wells, is a half-sister to Generous. Sobetsu draws together all the ingredients you'd like to see in a pedigree.

Blue Hussar could be worth following as he was one of the few to make up good ground from the rear off that pace.
Runs today at Ripon, Down in class with favoured quick ground. Possible pace angle in the race,Chant, has been pulled out is a slight concern but Mukhayham's presence should still ensure a decent clip.

Runs today at Ripon, Down in class with favoured quick ground. Possible pace angle in the race,Chant, has been pulled out is a slight concern but Mukhayham's presence should still ensure a decent clip.

I got the pace angle right, at least :lol:

Last edited:
If there was a classic winner at Newmarket yesterday it might have been Owen Burrow's Talaayeb. Thought she was very impressive and showed plenty of scope. If they hadn't messed around with the Race Calendar she'd have been aimed at a Rockfel Stakes in mid-October. Don't know where she goes now.

From the two Group 1's I'd take Roly Poly as the most likely to go forward but I don't have a good feeling about War Front 3yos.

If there was a classic winner at Newmarket yesterday it might have been Owen Burrow's Talaayeb. Thought she was very impressive and showed plenty of scope. If they hadn't messed around with the Race Calendar she'd have been aimed at a Rockfel Stakes in mid-October. Don't know where she goes now.

Yes, it was a very nice debut run. The time was decent enough, too. Apparently, she may be aimed at the G2 Oh So Sharp Stakes on October 7. It used to precede the Rockfel - now it's staged a fortnight after it.

Theo's Well(Ml Winters) ran a very nice at Cork Easter Saturday when fourth.
some connections are even dreaming a Royal Ascot dream but well handicapped in low 80s for a profitable summer.

Everything comes to he who waits.

Decisive winner of a 20-runner handicap at the Curragh today off a mark of 76.

Will go up maybe 10 lb for that but Irish Cesarewitch in 2 weeks the plan i think, followed no doubt by Leopardstown " November "handicap.
still rated only 111 for chases so if they can improve his jumping.....
One of his owners had his first visit to The Curragh today; what a way to start !
Ml Winters' first Curragh winner and Patrick Mullins first Amateur Derby; Mighty Meelin for it !!

Anyone who saw Marsha win the Listed event on Ayr's card yesterday can't fail to have been impressed. She pulled like a train throughout but still swept past a decent field in a canter and won with her ears pricked. Five furlongs is clearly her trip and if she ever learns to settle the sky's the limit.

She's certainly learned to settle.

What good threads this and the ante-post one have been.

Cliffs Of Moher, winner of a 7f maiden at Leopardstown yesterday, looks a top-notcher in the making for next season. By Galileo out of a Dansili mare, he made most and had all his rivals in trouble turning in, eventually coming home over five lengths clear with the rest of the field strung out like washing. There were four races over the 7f trip on the card and his time was spectacular, well ahead of the other two juvenile races and also quite a bit faster than that put up by the smart older horse, Sovereign Debt.

O'Brien was talking afterwards about a Guineas trial early on next year and I could see Cliffs Of Moher taking very high rank at around a mile.

Cliffs Of Moher, winner of a 7f maiden at Leopardstown yesterday, looks a top-notcher in the making for next season. By Galileo out of a Dansili mare, he made most and had all his rivals in trouble turning in, eventually coming home over five lengths clear with the rest of the field strung out like washing. There were four races over the 7f trip on the card and his time was spectacular, well ahead of the other two juvenile races and also quite a bit faster than that put up by the smart older horse, Sovereign Debt.

O'Brien was talking afterwards about a Guineas trial early on next year and I could see Cliffs Of Moher taking very high rank at around a mile.

looks a strong derby contender to me Gus...33lb faster than 81 rated Elizabeth Browing..giving more than the fillies allowance in weight..and won with something in hand

one of top 2yo runs of the season you would have to say

CLIFFS OF MOHER..one to keep in mind

Last edited:
I echo Cliffs of Moher. Was impressive to say the least.

Cracksman is also one I am looking forward to seeing next year.

I echo Cliffs of Moher. Was impressive to say the least.

Cracksman is also one I am looking forward to seeing next year.

I'm with you on Cracksman as well. That two-year-old card he ran on at Newmarket is easy to analyse from a time perspective and his winning time was head and shoulders above the rest. Gosden seems to have ruled out a Guineas challenge and the Derby might just be too far for him but I've no doubt Cracksman will prove very smart at around ten furlongs.

Back