Howard Johnson

werent there rumors re grey abbey´s wellfare as well? agree with all thats been said on here. disgrace, and must get serious serious ban !

Do you imagine all of his horses are being tested now? I can see the BHA going on a massive bender after this, and ordering permanent, random testing of yards (at owners' expense, since it can't afford a bottle of Chateau Kirwan itself these days) for all sorts of banned meds. Racing for Change will be going arse-over-tit, too - just when you think a few million invested in that is value for money (as if), here comes something to make HORROR CRUELTY DEATH OF HORSE headlines for a good while to come.

Rory, why on God's earth would you want a horse to sustain a fatal injury? It would look bad enough to have run a broken-down horse to its death, as many would've thought without the PM revealing all, and there's virtually no likelihood of it being insured following its previous breakdown. Please explain why you think that would be the purpose of the exercise.

That rather depends on what the insurance situation was. It wouldn't make logical sense, but if there was money to be made from it, Ho-Jo certainly has a reputation for trying it on, however stupid it might be. There is a story about the demise of another of his expensive purchases which would make your blood curdle. I'll PM you if you like.

Ouch. Looks like Howard won't be able to get out of this one, and quite amazing really that he thought it was an avenue even worth pursuing. At risk of offending a few (not meaning to) Howard seems to be [from all I've heard] very much an old, bluff, Northern (not meant to offend, but to try and explain what I mean, old traditional Yorkshireman would be the sort of thing I mean but to my knowledge he's not a Yorkshireman!) farmer who pretty much believes that he can carry on as he always has done and how previous generations have done. I know that he has in the past employed a few unconventional tactics over the years but I haven't heard of him being cruel to the horses. Please be clear, I'm not at all defending him at all as I think this is pretty bad, and quite unbelievable to be frank.

That rather depends on what the insurance situation was. It wouldn't make logical sense, but if there was money to be made from it, Ho-Jo certainly has a reputation for trying it on, however stupid it might be. There is a story about the demise of another of his expensive purchases which would make your blood curdle. I'll PM you if you like.

Does it involve a Sedgefield novice hurdle?

Well, I guess one rotten crisp shouldn't tarnish a whole bag of crisps?

I've spent the last few years persuading myself that my hobbie/interest in racing was all worth it, things were changing, and regardless of where my loose change went I was part of a bigger, cleaner sport in some small way.

If he's sent out a horse to effectively die my opinion has changed. Unfortunately he's confirmed it is (predominantly) full of selfish, scheming, gangster wannabe-scumbags. I'm afraid no amount of stories about the injured jockeys fund will make me think any different.

I'll have to start attending fottie on a Saturday afternoon. Anyway, rant over.

Last edited:
Me at least 10! BennyB is too young to be on the forum. Rory, just do 'PM all members' and be done with it!

Oh, Benny - half the age of a chum who's bemoaning having racked up the seriously big Six-O! You are but a yearling to grizzled old handicappers!

Back