If You Are Going Racing And Fancy Meeting

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
I was surprised the stricken riders didn't do a para roll on hitting the ground, Uncle G, then dive for cover into the long grass, sniping the back field with twigs and pebbles. Let's hope they limped home none too much the worse for the decantings. Looking forward to your picture gallery, as ever...

Originally posted by uncle goober@Mar 10 2007, 07:50 PM
Missed you again Kathy ! hehehehe :P
You can run UG, but you can't hide - well, unless your in the bog of course!.... :suspect:

Keep looking over ya shoulder.... especially at Cheltenham... :dork: :)

Three of the jockeys involved in some carnage over the farside were still writhing around on the turf as I walked over for the train , some 5 minutes after Hoo La Baloo had jumped the last...and an ambulance only just arriving. But then they were Military members so were probably waiting for a chinook. I would say they looked in a bad way, but I'm not sure what they looked like before setting off.

From the amount of time it took Ashgan to get back after pulling up I think they may have used him to get the paramedics there :suspect: either that or our jock took a detour round hyde park....

(oh yes - and it was nice to meet you too Kathy - hope you got your bet on ok!!)

95% certain of being at Lingfield tomorrow (Saturday) if anyone is around! I am going down to support Tricia and Clive with Lisathedaddy in the race they have named in support of their charity. Hopefully see you there, Krizon! :)

I am actually going to Swansea now to see OH's family but it will be a flying visit. Going to watch Swansea play tonight at The Liberty Stadium. It's been one of those weeks.

Possibly Mrs DG and I will be there, haven't looked at the card yet. In the morning we are going to witness the Severn Bore which is a 4 star one, the highest this year, tomorrow.

Wow! :eek: I hope that's on telly when I get back from Lingers! I worked for a publisher who actually published a book (back in the 60s) on the Bore - it looks phenomenal. Well, of course, it IS a phenomenon, so I suppose it would - but you know what I mean! Any chance of any pix of it boring its way inland, DG? Very exciting - people surf it now, I believe?

I intend to attend Lingfield tomorrow. May be a little chilly but we AW fans are hardy souls. I suspect some of the soft NH types will spend all afternoon by the fire, poor souls :)

Originally posted by stodge@Mar 20 2007, 08:38 PM
I intend to attend Lingfield tomorrow. May be a little chilly but we AW fans are hardy souls. I suspect some of the soft NH types will spend all afternoon by the fire, poor souls :)
You are a true believer stodge - misguided but loyal :P

Sorry, Ardross, I do know it's an NH meeting. Fortunately, the meeting starts with a proper race on the Polytrack before a procession of old plodders make their way round the East Surrey countryside.

Obviously, the Winter Derby on Saturday will be on most proper racegoer's minds rather than that load of old nonsense in Gloucestershire last week. Those Cheltenham fences are really soft nowadays - run the Gold Cup at Lingfield and let's see KAUTO STAR jump some REAL fences !! :laughing:

Originally posted by stodge@Mar 20 2007, 09:25 PM
Sorry, Ardross, I do know it's an NH meeting. Fortunately, the meeting starts with a proper race on the Polytrack before a procession of old plodders make their way round the East Surrey countryside.

Obviously, the Winter Derby on Saturday will be on most proper racegoer's minds rather than that load of old nonsense in Gloucestershire last week. Those Cheltenham fences are really soft nowadays - run the Gold Cup at Lingfield and let's see KAUTO STAR jump some REAL fences !! :laughing:
:D

I note Hannon's promising horse Sonny Red is entered in the spring cup .

Originally posted by an capall@Mar 20 2007, 09:07 PM
What is the Severn Bore?
The Severn Bore occurs in the spring because the tides are higher. When a spring tide comes in, the River Severn act like a funnel as the tide goes further up the river a wave is produced the narrower the river gets the higher the wave. People stand along the banks and watch it as it can be quite spectacular, todays was tame. As Kri says people actually surf it and I think someone as actually broke a world record for the longest distance on a surf board (several miles).

No, afraid not Isinglass. I am currently contemplating going to Ascot on Saturday if anyone is venturing that way. There is a hell of a lot of work going on on and around Ascot racecourse at the moment. I was in the vicitinity yesterday so fingers crossed they have it ready for their 2 day meeting which starts with the racing and Beer Festival :what: tomorrow. Be interesting to see what changes have taken place so far.

Back