If You Are Going Racing And Fancy Meeting

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
For anyone interested, (ie. Krizon) Windsor have a new system for entrance now. Very similar to the one at Ascot and with a bar code that you have to stick in a machine to be read that then allows you though a turnstile. Some of the staff in the O&T section at the entrance were not very happy as it was all very new and they had been given limited notice about the new system coming into force. It's evidently to stop the touts buying badges and then flogging them outside. It does seem strange and on very busy days/evenings, I can imagine there will be a bit of a delay whilst people get use to the new system. You have been warned! :dork:

Yes, we knew that Arena was putting that in, Kathy, and I did see Kate Hills trying to convince ATR what a whizzbang system it would be! It's being installed (we were told today at our pre-season briefing at Brighton) at Brighton by Northern Racing, as they say it's been successful at Newcastle, Uttoxeter and somewhere I've just forgotten! However, the scary thing is that all the money-takers, who it will affect, aren't being given more than a quick session before gates open on the 29th, rather than the half-day training they'd been led to expect.

We were told to be patient and expect teething problems... no, surely not! Racecourses run like well-oiled machines, every meeting! Ascot has installed the same things, so has revamped Donny.

The main idea is to stop customers arriving and saying they've forgotten to bring the 50 prepaid tickets they've booked with them, and can they please have replacements? The course/s have always kindly obliged their valued customers, who have repaid them by bogging off into the car parks to flog off the original 50 tickets at a tenner apiece... nice... It is also supposed to cut down on the amount of staff checking, clipping badges, monitoring gates, etc., but whether it will prove much more efficient will remain to be seen. It should give a tally of paying customers on course for H&S reasons in the case of a security evacuation, though it still won't account for children (free entry), staff, caterers, the stewards, the jockeys..... :suspect:

Main change this season at Brighton, apart from the electronic entry system, will be to the parade ring. The area for the incoming win/place horses has been enlarged to allow for safer manoeuvring in that area. The restaurant has now incorporated the really nice Balcony Bar, which looks right out over the course and the downs and sea beyond, making the dining a less indoor-only experience. A couple of new flowerbeds, and it looks pretty nice and ready to go.

Im at Newmarket Thursday accompanying Paradise Isle hoping she can win the Abernant again and then probably Newbury Saturday and Fantastic Southwell Sunday.

Fudge, good luck with Paradise, will say hello at parade ring if we can get near enough!

Might also get to see Deportivo on the day if we have time before racing.

Will be at Cheltenham tomorrow, and Newbury Fri & Sat God willing - ie if my auntie aged 102 survives the night/week and I'm not needed here 24/7

I'm off to Lingfield tomorrow evening while there's evening racing I can afford to attend - and no overpriced, overrated music afterward !! :clap:

Originally posted by Kathy@Apr 18 2007, 01:15 PM
That's some age, Headstrong. :what: Does living that long run in your family?
I don't know - I'm adopted! [and I've no wish to live beyond 75] My auntie is my adoptive father's brother's widow...

Both men worked for Players Tobacco all their lives, from their teens - I nearly backed Players Please today in their honour, but couldn't be arsed to get the laptop out...

Newbury! I'll be there both days; may I suggest that as before, those of us who haven't met up earlier congregate for the one in the Champagne Bar after the last race on Sat?

My Nan use to smoke Players. Were they the ones with the sailors on the packet or am I confusing that with another brand? :rolleyes:

Yes, a meet up in the champagne bar to spend all our winnings :brows: after the last if we haven't met up before!

Just the one sailor I believe, Kathy, but yes they're the ones.

For those of us who just may not win...............do they sell anything cheap in the Champagne Bar or is it alright to bum drinks off those who have won???????? :shy: :D :( shrug::

You can get a beer in the Tote Hall next door and bring it in, if you do so before that bar closes - the Ch Bar stays open for a hour or so after racing. You can get other drinks in there, wine by the glass etc or soft drinks. An yes, it's perfecvtly normal to bum the fizzy stuff off those who have winnings - in the crowd I meet there, whoever won the previous race, buys the next bottle!

Colin, the first round is on me and please don't insult me by asking for a coffee this time! :P

Great to see Warbler, Crazyhorse, Honeyb, Headstrong, Warbler and Colin Phillips today. I had a cracking day, both betting wise and socially. For the occasional downsides of this forum, I have to say, that the definite positives is meeting some really nice people and sharing in great days at the races, and today was certainly one of them!!! :clap:

Why didn't I meet Crazyhorse??
And why has Warbler only just got home ???????
And why oh why is Kathy so - oh never mind :laughing:

Now to cap it all I just wish the houseguest would get orf of the sofa so I can go to bed - what a lovely tiring day we had of it

Originally posted by trudij@Apr 21 2007, 07:42 PM
If it rains (ha ha bonk!!) I might be at Towcester on Tuesday night (oh teh excitement....)
:what:

Try living in Scotland. You'll be all bonked out by the end of January.

Back