In Memoriam (Racing People)

Sam Morshead has passed away aged only 63. V sad to read. I met him on a few occasions and he came across as a really nice guy.

Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha who owned Beat the Bank and yesterday’s dead-heater Morando under the King Power Racing banner sadly confirmed dead in Leicester helicopter accident with four others

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to hear of the death of Nick Embiricos who with his wife Valda and their trainer Josh Gifford loyally kept the faith with Bob Champion during his long illness before he famously won the Grand National for them on Aldaniti.

Two of note this week.
Noel Reid of RTE Racing; he was the Saturday Racing face of Sports Stadium having been roving reporter on Airs And Races RTE Radio with Val Joyce when I was a lad.

Miles Napier, a bloodstock expert who wrote a few books on pedigree and had a weekly column in Irish Field among other publications

Rest in Peace both

Great memories, some people will find it hard to imagine that outside of live RTE broadcasts Sports Stadium was the only way to catch up on races of note from the past week (they showed the last few jumps/furlongs) if you weren't there in person.

I have reams of old cassettes with Noel and his choice blazers from years gone by stored away somewhere!

Peter Bailey, trainer of the 1970s.
Canasta Lad his best horse , a top hurdler before Arkle Chase victory in 1974.
Zeta's Son won a Hennessey and Prince Rock was a top staying chaser placed in Irish National behind Tied Cottage and in Welsh National also.

Two of note this week.
Noel Reid of RTE Racing; he was the Saturday Racing face of Sports Stadium having been roving reporter on Airs And Races RTE Radio with Val Joyce when I was a lad.

Miles Napier, a bloodstock expert who wrote a few books on pedigree and had a weekly column in Irish Field among other publications

Rest in Peace both

Airs & Races -that brings back some memories-I can remember about a dozen people from all levels of society gathered around a car radio listening to Cash Asmussen getting yet another odds on shot turned over at Phoenix Park.

Probably an apocryphal tale but Cash had been mugged a short head on yet another MVOB good thing and was leaving the unsaddling enclosure at The Park when a Dublin voice rang out.

"Go way outta dat, Asmussen. Ye couldn't even ride Cathy Barry,"

Cash turns around and responds "Give me her number and I'll give it a try."

If only he'd been that smart in the saddle.

(*If Cathy Barry is looking in I am assured that he didn't mean you. It was the other one.)

Last edited:
Cash was king. The most stylish and sympathetic jockey you ever saw, who rode in Ireland for a great stable but at the wrong time, when it was going into decline. I thought he really brightened up the scene while he was around and and when he moved on to France he confirmed what a great jockey he was.

I was at The Park one wet Friday evening when Cash won the first four races, led all the way, came from way off the pace, hugged the near tail, came up mid track, super stuff.
After win number four he says * You can wheel Cathy out now guys, guess I'm ready for her *

Really sad to see that Sue Bradburne has died aged 70. :(

Yes, so sad, she is local to me so was one of the first trainers I really followed when getting into racing as a teenager. Thoughts with all her family.

It would be nice to see Lake View Lad do well next week as I think she was involved a bit with the training at Neil Alexander's before her illness.

Jimmy Mullane Irish Champion Flat jockey 1951.
Rode winners of Irish Derby /irish Oaks in 1952 aged 19 and Irish 2000 guineas 1954.
A top rider in sprints and two year old races he could steal lengths at the start of every race by standing back off the line and gunning his horse as the tapes rose, a trick he learned from australian jack Thompson.
Richard McCormick told me that when Jimmy rode work for his father on The Curragh "Great things always happened ".
One day at Bellewstown riding a filly for Dick Jimmy , after stealing an early lead caught the filly's right ear, releasing it only near the finish when needing that final push to hold on, in an age when ear plugs were not thought of. Had Ruby or Frankie won a race in this style we would be in raptures for months after talking about the audacity of it all.
Riding freelance in the late 1950s he rode big race winners for John Oxx snr, Charlie Weld and Dick McCormick among others.
A court case over a horse saw him leave Ireland "under a cloud " so he tried Northern England to resurrect his career, riding winners but never to the heights of his early years.
Head injuries ended his career in 1969 , Jimmy took to living in a caravan near a convent.
his wife died when quite young and he never quite got over that.
He ended his days in a Nursing home near Kildorrery where i met him before his final stint in Hospital.
Alas dementia had taken his mind and his memories.
He died yesterday.
Rest in Peace Jimmy, your light shone as bright as any if for a short time.

The legend that was Stan Cosgrove is no more. He will ascend straight to paradise for putting up with Tommo during the Shergar crisis.

I am guessing that Eddie, who knows everybody, will have some memories to share.

Where to begin;
I was a student staying in a University Residence run by a right wing Catholic group when Stan arrived as an after dinner guest one night.
He had operated on Golden Fleece just a few weeks previously so was " the man " in Irish veterinary.
Seeing my interest he arranged a visit to Moyglare Stud ( which he managed)for me and the house director.
He also gave us the inside story of Shergar's kidnapping as shown on the documentary earlier this year.
His uncle Maxie was the man who diagnosed Arkle's pedal bone fracture Dec 1966.
His brother (also Maxie) was killed by a kick from a mare on looking in a stable door shortly after qualifying in the early 1950s.
Stan was instrumental in starting RACE, the apprentice jockeys school on the Curragh in the early 1970s so lots of people have reason to be thankful to him.
Jerry O' Brien , breeder of Tiger Roll worked for him after qualifying and may have been engaged to marry his daughter.
I last saw him at The Curragh Irish 1000 Guineas day for the grand opening .
In a wheelchair he was greeted by all who knew him and some, our Agriculture Minister included , who didn't.
Rest In Peace Stan and remember always to hold the emasculator for three Hail Mary's before releasing !

I’ll remember him for the ill fated French Holly who sadly died a year or two after running away with what’s now the Ballymore

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back