In Memoriam (Racing People)

I’D like to start this week’s blog by paying special tribute to my very good friend and former colleague Peter Walwyn who sadly passed away yesterday.

He was a true legend in every single sense of the word and where the whole of racing is concerned he was a great character and respected so much by all who knew him and came across him. His enthusiasm for everything, and Lambourn in particular, was legendary and he and his wife, ‘Bonk’ made Seven Barrows what it is now; I shall forever be indebted to them both. He was a remarkable character and it really is the end of a very special era. He’ll be much, much missed by me and all of us here in Lambourn.

NJH

Couldn't agree more>Among many others he was blessed with the job of training Grundy who took part in what has been often described as one of the greatest races of all time.

One of the best of his time R.I.P. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oouAd0aj8A

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to meet Peter Walwyn around 6-7 years ago. Such a likeable guy, so easy going, and he certainly made me laugh many a time that day. Was kind enough to drive me around Lambourn and stop at various yards, show me the gallops and so on - took time out which he didn't have to do, but did so, and told many an interesting story. Lovely person, great character and will be missed.

A very nice man who put up a brave battle against a long illness.

May he Rest In Peace.

Last edited:
Always very sad to hear of relatively young deaths. Liked this comment from Lee Mottershead:

Such was the twinkle in Noel O’Brien’s eye and his enormous passion for jump racing, even a passing hello made you feel a bit better about life - although he generally made sure he stopped for a chat. Noel was a lovely man of the very highest order. RIP.

Noel O'Brien the Irish Senior Racing handicapper passed away last night

I knew Noel reasonably well and a nicer, more genuine person would be hard to find. He hard a strong edge too with the integrity and self belief to stand over difficult decisions against difficult people's contrary opinions. Cancer got him.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Had a ten minute chat with him one day at Cheltenham-he was a great guy to talk to -the Lee Mottershead comment is spot on.

A smashing guy, he gave us a lecture in 1989 in UCD and always seemed to recognise my face whenever we met after .
Day 2 of Cheltenham 2011 I asked him for the best handicapped Irish horse that day.
"Carlito Brigante " he replied. Having just taken him off my docket on the basis the Irish could not win every race I got that sinking feeling, well before Carlito p@@@ed up , costing me a fortune by my standards, having had three winners up.
i could never hold it against him though; I shall miss him.
Rest in Peace.

My dear old Dad sadly passed away 3 weeks ago after a long battle with Parkinsons, and while I can understand many on here thinking where does he fit in with "Racing People" well actually I think he did have a fair impact in his way.

He was one of the veterinary team at the Cheltenham Festival in the 70s and 80s in the days when there were only 3 of them! One in the paddock, one on the "bridge" (the stands) and one following the runners in a car. You can imagine what a stressful job it was! Invariably when a horse fell and lay stricken, he would have the stewards over the radios telling him to "get that effing horse off the course!" whereas Dad would be giving it the benefit of probably being winded and testing it to see if there was anything serious such as spinal or shoulder damage. He also remembered having the inject the mighty Sea Pigeon after one of his Champion Hurdle wins and giving oxygen to Combs Ditch.

He and his long departed colleague, John Yates, compiled accident reports religiously even before it was compulsory and they were adamant that the notorious open ditches which in those days caused some horrific falls had a design fault. They reasoned that horses were colour blind and so in the dull March light, the grey boards merged into the dull grass so the horse was being deceived into thinking the fence was at least 18 inches smaller than it actually was so causing the horse to fall. Often horses that were very good jumpers would be caught out in this manner. However the Jockey Club weren't remotely interested in their research at the time. I remember too, Derek Thompson wailing one year about the open ditches on air, so I wrote to him. Seems off-air he wasn't bothered! Eventually when I was doing the trainer's modules at the British Racing School back in 1999, I spoke to Peter Webbon who was the Chief Vet at the Jockey Club (BHA as I think it was by then) and he actually listened and acted upon it. Now ALL open ditches have a complete bright orange board rather than an orange rail sitting on top of a grey one. The style of fall at these obstacles has now changed and they aren't nearly the feared jumps they used to be. They also campaigned to get the third last re-sited after it caused some fatal falls at the Festival in the 80s.

Sorry for your loss A very interesting read and a reminder of the great work that goes on behind the scenes that makes possible the sport we all love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back