Inglis Drever

What a Superb gusty little horse he is :clap: , thoroughly deserved that win and make Cheltenham history ....Well done to all connections ... :clap: :D

Must also add that Kasbah Bliss ran a fantastic race and Pieux gave him a great ride. If anyone has the ability to think ahead to next year, then he will take all the beating, after proving as a 6 year old he now stays the trip well.

Not many races make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.... that race did! What a gutsy horse. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!! :clap:

After the hour or so between Master Minded and Inglis Drever, tomorrow - Gold Cup and all - is going to have to go some way to match today.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Mar 13 2008, 04:04 PM
Must also add that Kasbah Bliss ran a fantastic race and Pieux gave him a great ride.
In a way - but in the heat of the battle he had his whip week and truly upright for each crack, and quite rightly imo got a 3 day ban. You don't hit a horse's rump with even half the force from a whip under shoulder height, that you do if you extend your arm vertically as he was doing. It left Choc's misdemeanors yesterday in the shade, and I hope I'm not just being partial cos he's a Frog

Agreed the horse will be interesting for next yearn tho :) Doumen Pere is a fantastic trainer

Her little jam doughnut. :D

I agree. A wonderful piece on Ginny Wright was televised today during the C4 coverage. I’m absolutely delighted for all concerned.

Had to chuckle looking at Cheltenham's official racecard yesterday. they have the name of the groom for Inglis Drever as Jimmy Rice.

I made the fastest/ 2nd fastest stayers I hold a record for (there's little in it imo) now it would appear that Mordin agrees, I'm slightly interested by his MWDS observation and want to revisit a few thing regarding what distance he's travelled before the lights go out first, before (or if) I decide to swithc to the "which way de slozen thread". Despite having speculated that the race was vulnerable to a jog and sprint merchant (I still believe it is) this turned out to be only the second renewal in the last 12 years where stamina based speed was in play. The final figure I got suggested that Drever got closer to the respective champion hurdler (1.75L's) than any previous two winners. In that respect, there has to be an outside chance that with SE going wrong, and katchit being an unremarkable winner, that the fairy tale that got away might have been Hardy Eustace. As it transpired the stayers was run no where near to suit, and the Champion was. We know that Hardy has a liking for Cheltenham, and a heart every bit as big as Katchits, I can't help wondering given the ease with which SE was travelling, and hardy's proximity to him previous on a less suitable track, whether he might have fought out, and got upside Katchit?

We'll never know, and such pontification is pointless. In any event this thread is about ID, so let Mordin have the last say;

INGLIS DREVER AS GOOD AS EVER

INGLIS DREVER (42) ran as fast as he ever has to take the World Hurdle for a record third time. He's been one of the best staying hurdlers of the past decade and shown himself capable of producing his best in a wide variety of circumstances.

In the short term it's worth bearing in mind that Inglis Drever's one obvious failing is that he doesn't seem able to run to top form at Aintree. He's lost the three times he's run at the Aintree Festival, and I'd bet on that happening again if he runs there in a few weeks time.

In the long term Inglis Drever has clearly got a serious rival for his crown in the form of KASBAH BLISS (42) who ran him to a length here.

It looks like Kasbah Bliss is one of those horses that doesn't produce their best in the darkest, coldest part of the year - November through early February. But he's clearly a very high class horse in the Spring and Autumn and looks the most likely winner of this race next year.

With four to jump HARDY EUSTACE (20) was in the lead and moving like a winner. But he's shown before that he doesn't stay this far, so it's understandable he faded badly. However he was going to well four out I'll be very interested in his chances if he cuts back to two miles at either Aintree or Punchestown. I'd even seriously consider him over two and a half.

KAZAL (39) ran a big race to take third. And if the ground had been softer he would almost certainly have gone closer as he lacks pace but stays all day. He'll be winning a Grade 1 soon if he gets his ground.

MY WAY DE SOLZEN (38) was tiring in the closing stages, reinforcing my view that he doesn't get three miles in a strongly run race. He looks more of a chaser than a hurdler to me, so I'd like to see him go back over the bigger jumps now. He does seem to need an undulating track to produce his best, and I'll be hoping to see him running two and a half miles at Punchestown.

Watched it yesterday for first time since being there and taking into account all he has achieved, he has to be among the best horses ever.

I've hidden the winner of next year's World Hurdle in another thread. If you find it, your prize is a 25/1 voucher and all you have to do is pay for the stake!!

That's blasphemy, Gareth! :eek:

Rory, Drever will still beat Brave Inca, especially since I doubt the latter will run in the race anyway....:p

Back