Irish 2000 Guineas

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

Entries for Saturday were out this afternoon.

http://info.hri-racing.ie/entries/Microsoft_Word__ONOR105.PDF

Dubawi Gold will be very hard to beat. Very negative vibes for Roderic O'Connor before Newmarket so unless he improves Zoffany looks the main Aiden O'Brien hope out of his 5 entries. Dunboyne Express is running in this before a tilt at the Epsom Derby but has yet to set the gallops alight this season.

DG ran an undeniably brave race at Newmarket, but may be flattered by being dragged along behind Frankel.

Roderic O'Connor ran no sort of race at Newmarket but is already otherwise capable of running to about 120, as probably one or two others are. So not much between them and certainly no foregone conclusion for me.

Powers Bet:

7/4 Dubawi Gold
7/2 Dunboyne Express
7/2 Roderic O'Connor
7/2 Zoffany
7/1 Zabarajad
12/1 Master Of Hounds
20 bar

Powers Bet:

7/4 Dubawi Gold
7/2 Dunboyne Express
7/2 Roderic O'Connor
7/2 Zoffany
7/1 Zabarajad
12/1 Master Of Hounds
20 bar

They reckon four in it then. Seems about right it should be one of them. I'd stick with ROC at that price, or the preferred O'Brien runner, which hopefully will be him.

Last edited:
Latest Best Prices:

7/4 Dubawi Gold
7/2 Dunboyne Express
4/1 Roderic O'Connor
9/2 Zoffany
8/1 Zabarajad
12/1 Master Of Hounds
20 bar

Latest Best Prices:

7/4 Dubawi Gold
7/2 Dunboyne Express
4/1 Roderic O'Connor
9/2 Zoffany
8/1 Zabarajad
12/1 Master Of Hounds
20 bar

Dubawi Gold is an awful price, was so so flattered at Newmarket. I've not looked at the race but I'd like to find something unexposed that could improve at a flashy price.

He's waiting for the Belmont or Preakness (Whichever comes last - I can;t remember) i think so I would hold fire.

Looks a poor renewal to me. I would want to be against Dubawi Gold at that price, in fact if I was a layer I would be taking him on. He was race fit in the guineas, sat out the back and let everything chase and ran past them. The Irish version will be a very different race and they should all be fit as well...

Belmont Aragorn - strange that they've chosen to ship him back to Ireland though so surely they're considering Epsom for him also?

If not they might as well have shipped him straight to NY from Kentucky.

Powers Bet:

7/4 Dubawi Gold
7/2 Dunboyne Express
7/2 Roderic O'Connor
7/2 Zoffany
7/1 Zabarajad
12/1 Master Of Hounds
20 bar

the worse at the prices is Dunboyne Express, has been injured and his first run of the season was really poor.

ZOFFANY RULED OUT OF IRISH GUINEAS

Zoffany has been ruled out of the Abu Dhabi 2000 Guineas at the Curragh on Saturday due to colic.

The son of Dansili was 7-2 with Paddy Power prior to the withdrawal and Aidan O'Brien now relies on Roderic O'Connor, High Ruler, Oracle and Master Of Hounds.

The three-year-old was last seen finishing third in the National Stakes in September and his reappearance will now be delayed further.

Anne-Marie O'Brien, wife of Aidan O'Brien, tweeted on Monday: "Zoffany had a slight colic this afternoon, he has received treatment for it and will therefore unfortunately miss this Saturday's Guineas."

Paddy Power now go 6-4 about Dubawi Gold with Roderic O'Connor second favourite at 11-4.

I'm only relaying what they said after the Kentucky Derby. O'Brien was quoted as saying something along the lines of he won't run in the preakness but could well go back for the Belmont (I'm pretty sure the Jockey told them that was his race - Gomez or Velazquez... One of them two!!)

I'm only relaying what they said after the Kentucky Derby. O'Brien was quoted as saying something along the lines of he won't run in the preakness but could well go back for the Belmont (I'm pretty sure the Jockey told them that was his race - Gomez or Velazquez... One of them two!!)

Thats exactly what was said as the story came out the day after I backed him for the Derby :mad:

Dunboyne Express is 7/2 because he is a certain runner. I would not back him at any price unless I get a positive vibe at the weekend. He has form to entitle him to be a player in this dire field all the same. O'Brien's are all much of a muchness and I would fear none of them. Dubawi Gold will win this by default and 7/4 is perfectly fair.

Last edited:
Master of Hounds would interest me of those quoted. Admittedly, an unusual prep.

I wonder if he's more likely to run given that Zoffany is out. If so, 12s would be reasonable.

Very hard to get an angle on this. Irish trainers other than O'Brien just don't win this. Could you forgive Roderic his Newmarket run?

If not, that surely only leaves Dubawi Gold. He's short and some of you have doubted the form of those in behind in the Guineas. He'll hardly beat Roderic 30 lengths this time and there's a nagging doubt about some of his earlier form, but I suppose he's a worthy favourite.

Last edited:
Desperate field for one of the poorest Guineas here in a while (and there has been some poor ones)

Dunboyne would have a serious chance if he was 3/4's right. Are any of these G1 horses - where is Pathfork?? There could be as few as six runners - I bet Fahey is kicking himself he ran yesterday.

Dunboyne Express - working well.

DUNBOYNE READY FOR CURRAGH TEST

Kevin Prendergast is pleased with Dunboyne Express ahead of his run in Saturday's Abu Dhabi Irish 2000 Guineas at the Curragh.

The son of Shamardal is a general second-favourite the Saturday's Classic and Predergast reports the horse to have thrived since his reappearance win in the Leopardstown 2,000 Guineas Trial Stakes.

"He quickened well and I think he'll come on for that race," he told attheraces.

"Everything has gone well since, he's had no interruptions whatsoever and he's in good shape.

"He did his last piece of work this morning and it all went fine".

The three-year-old was well held on his final start as a juvenile, when fifth in behind Casamento in the Racing Post Trophy, however Prendergast explains that there were reasons behind that effort.

"We ran him at Doncaster and the ground was very firm," he explained.

"He hadn't been well before then but we felt it was worth taking our chance even though he wasn't 100% that day.

"He still ran a good race - he got a few bumps - but the horses have advertised the form so I think it was a good race."

The horse's main rival on Saturday appears to be Richard Hannon's Dubawi Gold who was a fine second to superstar Frankel in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket.

"Frankel seems to be in another parish to most horses," Prendergast said, "so he (Dubawi Gold) is the one they all have to beat - he ran very well indeed.

"Basically you have to respect the others but we fancy beating them on Saturday."

Looking further ahead Prendergast also explained that his stable star has the Investec Derby at Epsom on June 4 on the agenda, expecting the step up in trip by half a mile to be no problem.

"His pedigree says he should get the trip, especially on his dam's side, and his style of racing suggests he will.

"If he runs in the first three (on Saturday) then he'll head to Epsom.

"We have to get through Saturday but we'll definitely have to let him take his chance in the Derby if he runs well and comes out of the race fine," he added.

I like Roderic O'Connor for the Irish Derby (don't think he'd handle Epsom for the English Derby). I personally don't see him as a miler, so while he should run well imo, 2nd or 3rd will be the best he can hope for.

I like Roderic O'Connor for the Irish Derby (don't think he'd handle Epsom for the English Derby). I personally don't see him as a miler, so while he should run well imo, 2nd or 3rd will be the best he can hope for.

I agree he should take well to middle-distances. I'm hopeful he can do quite well here also though.

The Irish derby has virtually become a Group2 it has been so poorly contested the last few years .

Back