Irish 2000 Guineas

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Nice. He did have the best form like you said but I couldn't pull the trigger the form I'm in.

I am betting very small today, just for an interest - it was more I thought you'd need to be on drugs to back Dubawi Gold at 2/1 or under..

Doubt it. They have done very well to get a classic out of Roderic, as well as a 2yo Group 1.

Hannon doesn't sound too happy with Hughes. I have to say I can't see the reason for trying to give him so much to do.

Hughes suggested he changed his legs on the rained on ground but i have to admit to my eyes he held him up a furlong too long .

Worst ride I've seen in ages. Hughes was appalling. If Fairley, Doe, Fitzsimons rode a race like that there would be an inquiry. I did not have a bet in the race.

Terrible ride, he has always ridden horses to make them look visually impressive and it has a tendency to backfire. His ride on Glee at Goodwood the other day was quite good but then he needlessly dropped his hands a long way from the line, the horse still won well but there was no need for it.

The winner showed a lot of resolve after making it. He'll clearly stay well and must have an outside chance at Epsom or the French or Irish Derby.

Two in running pointers today -Adilapour dug deep the last day and might be a horse
to back in running.I think Apache is one to lay at a short price.

Well done young Joseph!!

By default it was Roderic... Poor poor race could it be rated above 117 - 118??

Rated up to his best efforts to date at 120 RPR (probably a bit higher from TF). He has run three times to 120 now, although his Newmarket run was in the 40s, which obviously can hardly be described as a "run".

What's the consensus of what the Irish Guineas means with regards Frankel? Anyone view him in lesser light? More positive, or the same? For me, still the same. Still of the opinion another 3-y-o can't beat him and think he'd also beat the older milers by clear distance.

I don't think it makes much of a difference to my high opinion of the horse.

RO'C was clearly off his game at Newmarket.
Dubawi Gold showed that he is a good horse, but not a fantastic horse. Proximity of 3rd and 4th mean you can't rate the race on Saturday too highly.

Realistically Frankel is obviously one of the best horses ever. It remains to be seen if he is able to keep his level of form up. If he is, it remains to be seen whether that form is 135ish or 145ish. Newmarket was too funny a race to be sure either way.

Frankel is a joy and is so good he has everyone thinking he's a miler (or worse, a sprinter). I can't wait for him to step up to 10 furlongs. He should be fine in the St James's Palace, but I wouldn't want to see him take on older milers. He can wait until later in the season for that (hopefully at 10 furlongs).

There is also the distance problem. I said after the Greenham that he would be a good sprinter, and the Guineas didn't change my mind. But people I respect, and Steve M, believe he needs 10-12f, so I just don't know.

Monster performances are hard to follow up.

Frankel is a joy and is so good he has everyone thinking he's a miler (or worse, a sprinter). I can't wait for him to step up to 10 furlongs. He should be fine in the St James's Palace, but I wouldn't want to see him take on older milers. He can wait until later in the season for that (hopefully at 10 furlongs).

not 12f anymore Steve ?

Back