Irish Apprentice Title

Beethoven is ridden by O'Brien because his parents bred the horse and own a share of the horse.

Looks like they are trying to give O'Brien a serious shot at the apprentice title now.

Sorry my post obviously was meant to say without the assistance of his 5lb claim in the Group 3.

WHY had finished fourth on her two previous starts, including over this trip at the Galway festival. Back on a level track here, she had more use made of her and was in front after going just over 1f. She made the rest and clung on despite edging right inside the final furlong.

Eva´s Time, making her debut, began a forward move in sixth place approaching the straight and closed steadily to challenge inside the final furlong. She stuck to her task well and only just failed to get up. She will enjoy going 1m.

Chattel House had run reasonably well on her debut at the Curragh in a race that has worked out well. Fifth on the inner turning for home, she always had plenty of room on the rail but was given an easy time of it for most of the final furlong after finding no extra over 1f out.

Bearen under 2 lengths.

Take a look at Lyon's horse in that race as well Gearoid. When Fred Archer crossed over, he really hampered Sixty Eight Guns who then stayed on nicely to grab fifth place. Should be a decent price next time out.

I thought Eagle Canyon travelled like a very classy type for much of the race and look forward to seeing him again.

Eva´s Time, making her debut, began a forward move in sixth place approaching the straight and closed steadily to challenge inside the final furlong. She stuck to her task well and only just failed to get up. She will enjoy going 1m.

Chattel House had run reasonably well on her debut at the Curragh in a race that has worked out well. Fifth on the inner turning for home, she always had plenty of room on the rail but was given an easy time of it for most of the final furlong after finding no extra over 1f out.

Bearen under 2 lengths.

While I agree that the ride Murtagh gave the third was soft, I really do think the stewards should have talked to Smullen. Two easy slaps of the stick is not sufficient effort when you are beaten a short head. Even a third slap, down the neck may have seen it win. I appreciate some will say it was first time out but in fairness a third slap would have done no harm. Less or no noise is made because the horse was an unbacked 10/1 shot whereas Murtagh's mount was closer to the favourite's spot. I'd say she could be worth following given the name she carries.

He used his noddle to very good effect - looks a personable youngster. Have you met him, Gal? He looks stylish, intelligent, and pleasant - no grandstanding, but a wee bit more smiley than his Dad!

This boy has improved greatly over the year. He's a fine jockey now. The ride on Oracle was interesting. This one was very well backed and got home by a head. I'm not sure if it was an inspired ride or if he 'got lucky' on a horse that had a bit in hand. When I saw him stick to the far rail and everthing else come stand side (usually an advantage when it goes soft at the Curragh) I did wonder, but he got it home. Mind you, the runner up goes into the eyecatcher notebook for sure.

Yeah it's hard to tell whether the move was the winning and losing of the race. He certainly saved a couple of lengths and he looked like he was going to make the best of his way home anyway.

The second is interesting. The owners are a similar operation to myself, just a lot more expensive as they are on the flat. This lad cost 80k. Interestingly, the two other horses they had with Oxx were Forthefirsttime, a pattern winner, and Aspectoflove, who was sold to Godolphin. There other horses have been pretty ordinary, although Farinelli was up to winning races and their NH horse, Lambro, has some potential. But Oxx has done most of the work for them in terms of getting winners and I'm sure this one will develop into a decent performer, although he was a breeze-up horse so not sure how much improvement there will be.

http://www.byerleyracing.ie/WatershipCrystalcolt.html

Got no option but to eat some humble pie here, thought he rode very well at the Curragh yesterday and on a day when it was tough to come from behind, he gave Harriers Call a very well timed ride.

He does seem to be improving with riding as I've not seen any disasters recently!

[FONT=&quot]Given the jockeys title now so he can retire. That was an atrocious ride in the 4.15 at Fairyhouse today. I challenge anyone to watch it and tell me this lad knows what he is doing in the saddle[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Given the jockeys title now so he can retire. That was an atrocious ride in the 4.15 at Fairyhouse today. I challenge anyone to watch it and tell me this lad knows what he is doing in the saddle[/FONT]

I would challenge anyone to show me any apprentice that does not ride a howler. I have seen Fallon and others do the very same thing day in and day out. Very lucky to get away with it though today.

Rides a double on the card.

On a horse with about a stone in hand - Waydownsouth. The ride in the 4.15 he was at his worst. He is not entitled to the rides he gets.

The ride on Aladdins was a shocker. On a horse that needs to be put in front in the last half furlong, he went on too early and spent too much time looking at the big screen. I was on the rails fifty yards out roaring at him. Shocking and it wasn't a howler, it was much worse. Very lucky.

Ah yes. Shouting at a jockey. I bet that was worth the entrance fee!! How long did it take him to pull up the horse after the line? Three strides?

Ah yes. Shouting at a jockey. I bet that was worth the entrance fee!! How long did it take him to pull up the horse after the line? Three strides?

It was free in with Tote Go Racing card. But the price of the coffee and a snickers bar (€3.50) was worth it for the shouting. Bloody plonker. One more stride and he was done. It reminded me of Brave Inca winning the Hattons Grace when he just pulled himself up in front. It was all smiles afterwards but the syndicate would have been gutted if he lost as they had a few bob on too.

The mistake he made was pulling him up - that is obvious. Hitting the front too early? Take a look at where Smullen took up the lead on him when winning on the horse...not exactly putting him in front on the line.

Chased leaders, 5th halfway, ridden 2f out, 3rd 1 1/2f out, challenged 1f out, soon led, kept on well final.

Tracked leaders on inner, 5th entering straight, switched right 2f out, good headway to lead over 1f out, stayed on well inside final furlong.

Both ridden by Smullen on these occasions. Very easy to knock an apprentice.

I knew two things as they entered the final furlong. One was that Aladins Cave had been well backed in the morning and two that the Predergast filly does not have gears but would be staying on until the line. That clown in the Racing Post suggested McDonagh has choosen not to ride her but it was pretty obvious they wanted James to use his clain on her to cover the hike in the ratings.

The mistake he made was pulling him up - that is obvious. Hitting the front too early? Take a look at where Smullen took up the lead on him when winning on the horse...not exactly putting him in front on the line.

Smullen finished second on him in Dundalk and said he hit the front too early, two furlongs out. While there was another horse beside him he was a few horses away from him. Horse runs around the place and is chinned on the line. Smullen says he needs to be held up to inside the final furlong.

Beggy rides him next time in Navan. Takes it up a furlong and a half out. Inside final furlong, is three lenghts in front of the horse that eventually dead heats with him but stops in front.

Smullen back on at Leopardstown and arguably the perfect race, taking it up inside the 200 yard mark and winning going away.

Smullen again on at Dundalk and takes it up at the furlong pole as he's afraid the horse a few inside him is going to get first run. Idles in front.

Smullen rides in Gowran and takes it up inside the final furlong.

Fairyhouse, O'Brien takes it up one and a half furlongs out, just like Beggy and nearly had the same result of a dead heat having been clear a furlong out. Ok I agree the dead heat might only have been due to the easing up.

He needs to be produced inside the final furlong. Even look at his last hurdle start in Down Royal where he takes it up going well two out and stops on the run in and gets chinned on the line. He's a very idle horse and it's why he keeps on winning. Plus they have sorted out his ailments.

Last edited:
While proper jockeys with sound judgement work the gaff tracks on no hopers in the hope of getting one ride as Joesphs last twenty odd.

I think he is a generally competent young jockey but there is no doubt that most of his opportunities come down to his father's position rather than his talent .

He simply would not be getting the rides on the Beethovens and the like on an objective assessment of his current ability.

It is like say putting Martin Lane up on a Group 1 horse .

Last edited:
Back