Irish Champion Hurdle Weekend

Plot horse

Sunday is not the day
Yeah I've absolutely considered that and if you are correct and Sunday is not the day for Dounikos then he might be dropped a couple pounds from current 147. Which could make him an absolute Good thing in the plate at the festival. Giggi won plate last 2 years with Empire of dirt and Road to Respect off similar marks.

Either way I've backed him at 25/1 on Sunday because the price is just too big. If he's not off then I'll be eagerly awaiting the Cheltenham H'Cap entries to have a proper cut then.

One thing that gave me a glimmer of optimism for Sunday is that Jack Kennedy rides, when he could have been on the storyteller (another festival plot job?) or others.

Last edited:
I actually thought you meant The Storyteller
As I was typing it up I half thought you may have thought that .

Dounikos massively underrated imo. I know you don't agree with me on his last grade 2 win when Al Boum Photo fell, but no matter what way you look at it he was finishing at Worst a length behind ABP. Had made a lot of ground up from 2nd last fence and was jumping the last upsides with plenty of momentum. And 25/1 Vs 6/1 for Sunday's race is a Rick as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, Dounikos is now 2/2 over fences and the form of his first win has been massively franked by Monbeg notorious who hacked up by 11 lengths in that big valuable H'Cap at Gowran last week off 137. Now been raised to OR 150 and Dounikos beat him comfortably by 4 lengths off level weights in November.

The form is in the book as far as I'm concerned and wether it be Sunday or in a future H'Cap, Dounikos will win at a big price again.

Last edited:
Patrick's Park stays further the two miles, albeit in lesser company, so I'm hoping to see Rachael Blackmore push him out from the start in the 2:55 tomorrow and make use of the stamina. This could run well with such a low weight, looks the each bet in the race at 14/1 to me.

Last edited:
Footpad is the biggest cert all weekend. Even Henry is playing down the Mooch’s chances.

Will be at the track Saturday and Sunday. We ahould sort out a TH Sunday rendezvous via these pages.

I stay away from these sorts of races but isn't the Mooch holding a 3 nil lead ? Not terminal to Footpads chances of course but odds on for a horse to beat a rival who had him in the bag 3 times over hurdles is hardly banker material in my eyes.

Although that said I dare say you have your reasons Grass and I've paid literally no attention whatsoever to these Novices.

Yeah had looked at that DG. He's entered for all 3 of the novice chases at the festival. At present he's shortest price for the 4m, but I think he's quicker than that. Time will tell. Will be monitoring closely. Cheers

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Woof
:cool:

Oleary is on record for running the dogs in the 4 miler

I stay away from these sorts of races but isn't the Mooch holding a 3 nil lead ? Not terminal to Footpads chances of course but odds on for a horse to beat a rival who had him in the bag 3 times over hurdles is hardly banker material in my eyes.

Although that said I dare say you have your reasons Grass and I've paid literally no attention whatsoever to these Novices.

Hurdles form doesn’t translate directly to fences, Danny. Feel free to fill your boots full of PM if you have faith that it does, which I’m sure you must, if it’s as easy as in the bag.

I'm rowing in with Defi Du Seuil today.

Unlike Faugheen there was a point in his race at Ascot before they turn for home when he was travelling like Barry only had to say go.

It wasn't until they quickened off the home turned he found nothing which would indicate either he was unfit or he was carrying something.

The fact he scoped poorly afterwards would indicate it was the latter.

He's as impressive a 4 year old as I can remember and my memory goes back to Persian War.

It would be great to see Faugheen bounce back but failing that I hope Defi wins as Melon winning would add to a foregone conclusion at Cheltenham.

I wouldn't back Footpad to beat PM or vice versa as for selfish reasons I'll be happy if either win

That said the winner will be well up against it in March as Sceau Royal has impressed me no end.

Those who think it's a foregone conclusion that Footpad is better than Sceau Royal better think again

Sceau Royal was still a bit of a baby last year and looks a much more mature horse now and I reckon he's improved past both todays runners

Last edited:
Footpad and Sceau Royal are the same age, you fantoosh. The only ‘big baby’ on display, is the one you dress-up as each Thursday, when it’s ‘speciality night’ down at your local knocking-shop. Footpad will jump everything into the deck in the Arkle.

You are very correct on Defi, though.

PS. Your memory goes back to the Crimean War, you old bas*tard.

:cool:

Last edited:
Have place-laid Faugheen. Based on his last run, I think there’s a chance the horse has lost interest.

Defi does look a bet today. Also tempted to take him e/w in the CH market as well.

PM will probably be ridden for fitness today. I just want to see a nice run in 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 15/2 Defi looks worth a bet to me too. I'd love to see Faugheen run as if the last day never happened but I fear the worst.

Have place-laid Faugheen. Based on his last run, I think there’s a chance the horse has lost interest.

Thats always been the worst case scenario but it still doesn't explains his first run? What happened in 1 month to lose his love for racing?

It’s just a punt.

His work has apparently been exceptional ahead of today.....same as it was before the Xmas race. Nothing physical has come to light to explain that effort, indeed there’s been no explanation at all, and if they haven’t had anything to ‘fix’, I figure there must be a small chance of a repeat.

It may not be an ‘attitude’ issue, but there was self-evidently something up last time, and I figure it’s worth opposing him, given the complete lack of any reason for it.

I won’t be too upset if he hacks-up unchallenged, as it will set-up the Champion Hurdle nicely.

I just hope that it was something amiss on the day... your punt makes sense for a place lay but as I see it his price for the CH is too big so I'm taking a punt on that instead as there's nothing to lose, if you're right he won't go for the festival and if he struts his usual stuff he'll shorten considerably.

Have a great weekend at Leopardstown fellas. Two unbelievable days of racing, which I hope are profitable for you.

I'm a believer in the bounce theory Des but I've never really took much notice of how horses perform after they've bounced or time scales on them reaching something near their best again.

Back