Irish Champion Stakes Day

Rip to confirm placings with Twice Over, and while it will be interesting to see how the 3yo colts get on, I don't see them figuring at the finish. I don't see Famous Name in contention on this ground either.

Sea Lord to make the pace with either Cape Blanco or Beethoven to ensure it is an honest one?

I am sure there is another decent race in Beethoven - but I cannot imagine it is as high a class one as this. But being by Oratorio and out of a Sadler's Wells mare (albeit a fast one) I think this 10 furlong trip is an interesting step up for him. If they didnt ride him as a pacemaker I could see him running on for 3rd or 4th.

Hard to judge what the Ballydoyle riding arrangements mean these days in Ireland but it is interesting to see Murtagh on the unraced Long Live The King with Eagle Canyon down to be ridden by Joseph O'Brien. I thought Eagle Canyon was very eye catching on his debut and if (it is an if) LLTK is considered his superior already without the benefit of a run it could be very smart.

Hard to judge what the Ballydoyle riding arrangements mean these days in Ireland but it is interesting to see Murtagh on the unraced Long Live The King with Eagle Canyon down to be ridden by Joseph O'Brien. I thought Eagle Canyon was very eye catching on his debut and if (it is an if) LLTK is considered his superior already without the benefit of a run it could be very smart.

The winner of Eagle Canyon's race didn't do much for the form at the Curragh, albeit it looked a bit of a 'too bad to be true' performance.
Anne-Marie has a fair old team out in the first. Would they be homebreds? Certainly Sanctify ran, without much success, in her colours. And Sanctify's half sister also runs here, Eirnin.

Last edited:
Yes those fillies are all home bred bar Juliet.

I thought Eagle Canyon travelled like a really good horse for a long way on his debut - actually one of the most interesting colts they have ran this season or so I thought. The market will be interesting.

Yes those fillies are all home bred bar Juliet.

I thought Eagle Canyon travelled like a really good horse for a long way on his debut - actually one of the most interesting colts they have ran this season or so I thought. The market will be interesting.

The 4th, 5th and 6th from that maiden have all been well beaten since. However, I'd agree that Eagle Canyon should have scope for big improvement on the bare form.

It is hard to know what to make of the Matron Stakes. I really liked Lillie Langtrey's performance at Royal Ascot, but she was very disappointing at Newmarket, while Bethrah is having her first race in over three months. Music Show looks to have the measure of the others.

Is Beethoven in on his merits or to make the pace for his stablemates?

Gut says yes but he does not strike me as the type to pacemake.

Spacious I think is pretty interesting in the Matron if they ride her from the front as if she tries to kick on off the bend. Plenty have stolen races from the front at Leopardstown.

I'll be having a very good bet on Bethrah tomorrow. She hosed up in the Irish 1000 and must have improvement in her and holds many of these on that run too.

Another example of the RPTV forum talking shite.

I notice that Exodus, in the second maiden on the card was bred by Juddmonte but is owned by Michael Tabor. Some sort of foal sharing agreement?

Thunder shower in Dublin this morning. This must have an impact on the going.. Ive taken 4/1 Twice Over

Plenty of rain about an hour from the course - but wait for confirmation from the course. It has it's own micro climate does Leopardstown.

Aoy bit of rain is enough for me, its the last piece of the jigswaw for Twice Over. 4/1 is too big to resist if you believe the formbook.

Aoy bit of rain is enough for me, its the last piece of the jigswaw for Twice Over. 4/1 is too big to resist if you believe the formbook.

The ground at York was just Good ground. I cannot see it being any worse than that. The track had not got any rain by 7.30 this morning.

In the fillies maiden I think it is interesting that Manning rides Vastitas over Deire Na Sli considering the fair level of form she has shown already. Makes me think Vastitas could be above average and Bolger will have them fit and ready to go first time out.

Noll Wallop in the Kilternan - step up in trip will suit and has been given a good break since disappointing in the Irish Guineas. Hammered Viscount Nelson at Leopardstown earlier in the season. Await The Dawn could be anything - but that anything could be nothing and 5/2 is very short about a horse that appears to be very lazy.

In the last I am looking forward to see Wealdmore Wave stepped up to this sort of trip - only 3 starts to date but by Oratorio, he had the pace to win at 5furlongs as a two year old and made a good debut for Hughes at The Curragh last time out.

I know that but Tom Queally said the other day he would like a drop of rain. Id rather the going was just good than good to firm.

I know that but Tom Queally said the other day he would like a drop of rain. Id rather the going was just good than good to firm.

Yeah so would I - I guess the way I am looking at it is that everything went right for Twice Over at York and he still could not beat Rip Van Winkle. I suspect Rip will be ridden differently today and his margin of superiority will be greatly extended.

You are certainly entitled to take that view with the quotes about Rip Van Winkle coming on for his first two runs He should at his peak for the season. Its just that at 4/1 Twice Over I have to pla.y. I would be less confident if RVW was ridden from the front but that must be unlikely with Sea Lord in the field.

The 4/1 is gone. He is now a best price 7/2. 4/5 Rip Van Winkle available with Bet365 and Ladbrokes. Famous Name now a stand out 18/1 with Powers and a general 16/1 having been as big as 22/1.

Back