Irish Chasers

I say it because this year there is a particularly strong looking bunch of novice chasers. I would hope/expect one or two stars to emerge from that crop and then hopefully going on to figure prominently in Queen Mothers/Gold Cups...something which did not happen last year or this year.

Just looking back at some of last year's novice hurdlers last night, Tranquil Sea strikes me as a particularly exciting prospect.

Travels really strongly in his races and has a fairly potent turn of foot as well. He is a tricky customer, though, in the fact that he tends do very little when he gets to the front.

Though his two best efforts over hurdles (at Limerick and the Punchestown Festival) were over 2 and a half miles, he has the attributes to make an Arkle prospect IMO.

Meade on Aran Concerto

'His preparation has been good so far, and he went well when schooled over ten fences last week. Everything is going good with him at the moment and I'd say he might be ready to run at the end of month if things keep going right,' said Meade.

'He's won on soft and I'd rather run him on that than quick ground. He's a huge big horse with big feet so even though he's a beautiful mover he'd be happy enough on soft.

'He's done really well for his time off and he looks great at the minute. At this time of year we are keeping our fingers crossed for a few that everything keeps going right, but it's so far so good.'

A Little Prayer on the return of War Of Attrition.

Our Mousie, who art in Tipp,
Hallowed be thy string
Thy Chaser Come
To Punchestown as it is in Heaven
Sponsor this day - our Daily Star
But if he dost trepass against that tendon,
That has trespassed against us,
Lead him not into the parade ring,
Lest we not deliver you from Shadow.

Amen.

Sir Frederick out until next year (not sure if that means the whole season yet) due to heat in a leg.

Good to see Thyne Again back- albeit in an egg and spoon race.

I was a big fan of his last year but remain unconvinced as to what, if anything, he finds off the bridle.

I'll be looking to take him on anyway. In fairnerss, it will probably be an easier task than the Durkan, though he does look like a prime candidate to bounce.

Back