Irish Chasers

I suppose the main reason I don't have that much hope for them is that there is form, previous, including and subsequent to cheltenham, which puts Tranquil Sea, Cork All Star and the four in the Ballymore all within a few pounds of each other and the first two mentioned got mullered in the Supreme, but finished close enough to each other to negate the possibility of an off day. Group Captain at Aintree (subsequent runs wouldn't worry me) just seemed to be the cherry on the cake with regards to confirming all this, as far as I am concerned.

The ground was definitely against Trafford Lad at Punchestown, and most likely against Fiveforthree, who was turned out in the Tranquil Sea race only two days after defeat over inadequate 2m. I think there are valid excuses.

Besides, Trafford Lad and Venalmar are almost certain to get upped to around 3m next season over fences, as might Fiveforthree (assuming he goes chasing). I don't think lines with Cork All Star are all that relevant, to be honest.

I'm not a fan of trainers who tell you it's a numbers game and gallop the bejaysus out of horses in the belief that it will make them or break them.

I'm not a fan of trainers who can't keep a horse sound for more than two seasons.

I don't know if he's the former. I suspect he is but he's definitley the latter.

The Meade debate has been had on here before. My main gripe with the man is his lack of producing a chaser of above average quality. Also his injury rate among his top horses does seem a bit higher than his compatriots

Most of his horses are flat bred,so they don't have the conformation or constitution to go chasing.

Rory I think that is an indication of the way they are trained, as fit as fleas but nothing left in them, bottomed out.

Last edited:
Can't agree at all, sunybay. Travelled really well the whole way round and was arguably going best of the trio when he blundered badly two out, which effectively ended his chance. Didn't get the last right either but kept on well enough and was by no means disgraced given the circumstances.

Back